Tempted by deer stalking

PSE Composites Limited

Mr8

Hi all,

I've been thinking about whether I want to get into doing a bit of deer stalking for a while now as I use to do a lot of pest control with air rifles when I was a child (so much that my parents were fed up with eating pigeon and rabbits) but that pretty much stopped when I started working and now I only do the odd bit of ratting and feral pigeon control when I'm asked. I've just come across a DSC1 course that is fairly local to me being ran next year but it does say that no training takes place for the shooting assessment and is not suitable for beginners. I've been shooting air-rifles, shotguns and rifles since I was a teenager and would say I'm a pretty decent shot but I've never been deer stalking.

I have a few questions that I hope you guys could help me make up my mind on it.
Do you think I should try and find a pre-DSC1 course and book onto that first or is the shooting assessment fairly basic? How easy is it to find someone in the east midlands who can take me out on the deer? I have a few of my own rifles but none of them would be suitable for deer so I would be looking to borrow a rifle off whoever would be taking me out at least for my first stalk, is it a fairly common practice to be able to borrow one or would I need to put a variation in and get my own?

Many thanks,

Mr8

srvet

Hi
The marksmanship section of the DSC1 is not arduous for those with a basic understanding of rifle shooting. The hardest bit is a 4 inch group at 100 yards from a fully supported position.
I would suggest getting in touch with Mike Dickinson at Calton Moor Range as I think he offers stalking and has a range where you could get used to the rifle. Hopefully he’s not too far from you

Jezmoore

I would second that,did my DSC1 with Mike up at Carlton Moor,best course I have ever done.Sure he will have an estate rifle that can be used for the course and on stalks.

Mr8

I've just had a look at the Calton Moor range and it's not from me at all, I actually take the dog out not far from there. I think I'll give them a call in the new year.

Rory

The DSC 1 should have an 'estate rifle' available. If you are confident with rifle shooting, you should be ok using it.
I used the chaps on mine - .308 with a 6x42 sight that grouped high left for me. Aimed off and passed the assessment.

Magnificent 7

Hi
The marksmanship section of the DSC1 is not arduous for those with a basic understanding of rifle shooting. The hardest bit is a 4 inch group at 100 yards from a fully supported position.
I would suggest getting in touch with Mike Dickinson at Calton Moor Range as I think he offers stalking and has a range where you could get used to the rifle. Hopefully he’s not too far from you

I also say give Mike a bell top bloke top facilities also

Free range rob

I found the shooting assessment easy to manage using a rifle I had never picked up before.
After seeing some of the so called “professional stalkers”, in particular the one in the lane next to me who was shooting my target ........... I would say don’t worry about it and get it booked if that’s what you want to do.
Where in East Midlands are you ?

Woodsmoke

You get three attempts at the shooting test on the day anyway, so even if you completely mess up the first couple you still have a chance. And to be honest, although it's still a challenge, most people should be able to manage it first time around without too many problems.

And anyone can struggle with nerves, don't forget? In my case, I was so nervous I completely forgot how my rifle went together and couldn't actually fit the bolt until I'd got my head straight, then I forgot I zero 2" high at 100 yards and my first shot on the 4" target was much higher than I was expecting. A mental slapping soon sorted it though :oops::lol:

FB_IMG_1608722412939.jpg

Mr8

Thanks guys I'll be definitely getting myself onto a course in the new year.

I told my other half who enjoys a bit of venison that I'm going to do the course thinking she'd be fine with it but she's said she won't eat anything I've killed but I think I can eventually bring her round to it.

Don’t do it you’ll be skint for the rest of your days 🤣🤣🤣
Yeah ever since I started shooting I've always found some way of spending a good chunk of my wages on shooting stuff, my partner is always telling me I'm a shooting hoarder

bfltd0

Thanks guys I'll be definitely getting myself onto a course in the new year.

I told my other half who enjoys a bit of venison that I'm going to do the course thinking she'd be fine with it but she's said she won't eat anything I've killed but I think I can eventually bring her round to it.

Yeah ever since I started shooting I've always found some way of spending a good chunk of my wages on shooting stuff, my partner is always telling me I'm a shooting hoarder
Applaud the idea of doing the course. Go for it - COVID permitting!

You may want to consider alternatives to your statement in bold. When you get married, you walk down the aisle, stop before you get to the altar and between each part of the service, there's a hymn. In the bride's mind, it becomes shorthand - aisle, altar, hymn. After you are married, it sounds the same, but becomes in her mind - I'll alter him.

Not vice versa. :)

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...