What is a good price for a first time stalk?

RhyceLP

Had a few enquiries into companies who use the “pre-dsc1” course for around £250-£300.
is there anywhere cheaper? If not is there any particular companies/land owners who you would recommend? I’m Hampshire based. Cheers.

jcampbellsmith

Had a few enquiries into companies who use the “pre-dsc1” course for around £250-£300.
is there anywhere cheaper? If not is there any particular companies/land owners who you would recommend? I’m Hampshire based. Cheers.

In the deer world as elsewhere, you get what you pay for (mostly). I am very fortunate in having my Dad organise my stalking for over 50 years. I do however try each year to organise some paid stalking on hinds somewhere new, and I expect to pay £150-£200 for a day.

One of my training/stalking outings was here - Home - Farrington Deer Services excellent training and a fallow pricket at the end of the day.

Good luck.

JCS

Mick9abf

I don’t know exactly what a ‘pre DSC1’ course entails but it sounds like another way of extracting money from people. As JCS says, get a day at hinds or similar, I’m yet to meet a stalker or ghillie that won’t happily talk you through things and at hinds you’ll likely have more than one demonstration.

I could see mileage (to a degree) in a ‘pre DSC2’ course but to be honest you can pass DSC1 with flying colours having never clapped eyes on a deer in the wild. Of course it’s your money and your choice, I’m sure others may have different opinions.

Malxwal

Presuming you are acquainted with fullbore firearms and firearms safety, the above advice is the way to go, definitely. Spend your money on going stalking, and see the value of it in acquiring knowledge from your stalker.

nun_hunter

Bearing in mind you're in Hampshire a day on the Hinds could work out expensive with travelling too. A stalker like SikaMalc from here would be my choice in your shoes. A lot more local (definitely ground in West Sussex and possibly Hampshire too), cheaper and although I've not used him personally I've not read a bad review about him.

JohnT

Bearing in mind you're in Hampshire a day on the Hinds could work out expensive with travelling too. A stalker like SikaMalc from here would be my choice in your shoes. A lot more local (definitely ground in West Sussex and possibly Hampshire too), cheaper and although I've not used him personally I've not read a bad review about him.

Do this ^^^^^^^^

I did and can only heap praise on an excellent Outfitter who will make every effort to make your experience memorable and succesful.
I have no other connection to Malc other than being just one more very satisfied customer.
He is also located within reasonable travelling distance from us.

Archer

Do this ^^^^^^^^

I did and can only heap praise on an excellent Outfitter who will make every effort to make your experience memorable and succesful.
I have no other connection to Malc other than being just one more very satisfied customer.
He is also located within reasonable travelling distance from us.

+1

RhyceLP

Can’t thank you all enough for your information it’s greatly appreciated. I will try to contact SikaMalc on here and see what he says. Again, thank you.

tozzybum

This and this again ,got my first Fallow with Malc and he has put me on Roebuck <my bad> and has a way that is beyond putting you at ease .There is knowledge given freely ,banter beyond compare and a natural flare for making you laugh out loud even when you drop a clod .And the breakfast is legend as is the endless supply of tea and nibbly things .i,m forever grateful for what Malc has taught me ,go and enjoy the start of an amazing journey

enfieldspares

Seventy-five pounds or above, up to about one hundred pounds or so for the walk including the shot if woodland stalking and a "nothing special" muntjac or "nothing special" roe is killed. If you are about to take the shot and it's "something special" then make sure you know if you're committing to any additional cost before you pull the trigger. And want to keep the meat and take it home there is usually a dressed weight price for that. The nearer you are to London or big urban areas the more you'll likely pay. Cheapest stalking on roe is usually East Anglia and Scotland. Cheapest stalking on muntjac is Midlands and East Anglia.

The Singing Stalker

From what I can remember the pre dsc1 course is aimed more at people who are not familiar with firearms. So there is talk about safety, etc etc and basically here is the bit that goes bang and you need to hold it by the other end. Depending on your level of experience will depend on whether it is useful or not. If you have never shot a deer before then do you want to be having a lesson whilst out, and you will not learn as much as on a proper class room session. Again, it depends on how familiar you are with handling fire arms etc.

Milligan

+1 I did my first UK fallow with him about 9yrs ago. Wealth of knowledge which he shares freely, calm, collected and a laugh.
If you're safe you'll have a great time with him.

308tikka

I don’t know exactly what a ‘pre DSC1’ course entails but it sounds like another way of extracting money from people. As JCS says, get a day at hinds or similar, I’m yet to meet a stalker or ghillie that won’t happily talk you through things and at hinds you’ll likely have more than one demonstration.

I could see mileage (to a degree) in a ‘pre DSC2’ course but to be honest you can pass DSC1 with flying colours having never clapped eyes on a deer in the wild. Of course it’s your money and your choice, I’m sure others may have different opinions.

agreed. Do some youtube and other research pre dsc1. Its classroom based then an easy shooting test. Pre DSC2, you need to be shown. Particularly gralloch, follow up and general useful tips drawn from many years of experience you wont get otherwise. Always better to learn from others and their mistakes rather thn repeat them.

Automan

Spot on you do not need a pre DSC1 it is a waste of money.