When Will We Be Hunting Abroad

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...

Bushwack

last 2 trips to Namibia we brought back Oryx, Springbok and kudu all vac packed and frozen wrapped in newspaper in our suitcases most of it was still frozen when we got home. Never challenged and no problems . If we had been stopped and asked we would just have said yes we have got meat at which point it would be confiscated and would have been told not to do it again.
Tusker

yes I will 2nd that, after all you paid for it...different laws for different countries and they really donn't want to import meat because of health risk! Just think what the Chinese will bring back If this is allowed...:lol:

Bushwack

As I look at the second wave devastation caused by CV19 in the developing world and little vaccine impact my hope of getting out to Namibia/SA in the Autumn of this year is fast ebbing away. Plans are now spring of 2022 at best. Equally given how many other European countries are getting in to more lockdowns hunting in Europe is also not looking likely. I know it’s only “hunting” in the grand scheme of things but to those of us who are involved in it it’s important to us and to the places where we spend that money, those guys have had a torrid time with plenty of overheads and no clients. I hope my prediction is wrong

nope, you right!

Jagare

I looked at the price of a flight to Croatia in November and the price was not any different than before Covid. I've booked on a driven day here in November and hoping to go to Turkey in September. The covid numbers are on a steady decline here and often cases found are in children who show little or no sign of the lurgy. Vacination is well underway and due to be clear by late summer.

Tazz

I looked at the price of a flight to Croatia in November and the price was not any different than before Covid. I've booked on a driven day here in November and hoping to go to Turkey in September. The covid numbers are on a steady decline here and often cases found are in children who show little or no sign of the lurgy. Vacination is well underway and due to be clear by late summer.
Good luck with your dates and bookings by the back end of the year trips in to Europe may we’ll be back on, however my confidence in getting to anywhere on the African continent by the end of 2021 remains low given vaccination is the only way out and the levels of vaccination in Africa remain low unless you are a government official, in the army or have lots of money (Some say I have got more cynical as I have got older). We want the first post from the first SD member to take a rifle abroad with feedback on the hunt but also all the admin and checks

Heym SR20

Good friends of mine run Classic Africa - The Time to Travel is... Now! - Luxury African Safaris | Classic Africa - they run high class - Photographic safaris for principally Americans. They have just done a reconnaissance trip to South Africa and Botswana travelling from the US. Actually their reports are really quite positive. Flights are pretty empty and low cost, lodges etc are pretty empty, very clean, and lots of hand sanitizers, face masks etc being used everywhere, and game drives etc - you can only do them on your own family rather than with lots of others. In other words, if you can get over the quarantine, testing and sanitation aspects you can get a very good experience and a pretty affordable price.

Admittedly this is very much a US view with travel to and from the US, and from a tourist perspective rather than a hunter perspective.

Tazz

Im still looking at SA in Feb taking 2 rifles !
Well done you, yes I think spring 2022 is likely to be next trip to Namibia to complete the one I had to cancel last year. I don’t see most of Africa coming off the U.K. Red list this year. It would be great to get a write up from the first guy who flies out of U.K. with a rifle to see what the procedures and paperwork were like.

MJ75

I've not read the whole thread but assume nothing will happen until next year. Infection rates in RSA and Namibia are looking bad at present. But as soon as restrictions are lifted I'm off...

In the meantime does anyone know what the score is with trophy imports into the UK. I read that there will be bans as mentioned in the queens speech but I'm unsure as to what species they relate to.

oowee

I have a deposit on a trip to SA carried forward from 2020 to 2021 and now to 2023. Each year my trip is getting longer as I add on the days that I miss. Looks like 2022 will be for 30 days up from the original 10. :p

NickJ

I've not read the whole thread but assume nothing will happen until next year. Infection rates in RSA and Namibia are looking bad at present. But as soon as restrictions are lifted I'm off...

In the meantime does anyone know what the score is with trophy imports into the UK. I read that there will be bans as mentioned in the queens speech but I'm unsure as to what species they relate to.

The government are only in consultation so have published zero detail around what species, however they have changed their stance in the last couple of weeks to state of 'endangered species' however that is, of course very vague and a species can be endangered in one country and at pest levels in another.

Tazz

The government are only in consultation so have published zero detail around what species, however they have changed their stance in the last couple of weeks to state of 'endangered species' however that is, of course very vague and a species can be endangered in one country and at pest levels in another.
I think if you ring Boris’s wife she would be able to give you the detail on the Trophy Hunting ban ahead of the government consultation

NickJ

The reply from my MP below. I will reply when I have done some research but the issue is around the ambiguity of the word ‘endangered’ i.e. elephant are rare in some areas and at serious pest levels in others. I will also point out we are dictating wildlife management policies to foreign countries by proxy.

Dear Mr Jackson,

Thank you for writing to me about banning the imports of trophy hunting memorabilia.

This Government takes the conservation of endangered species very seriously, which is why we will be banning the import of hunting trophies from endangered species. Our approach will be comprehensive, robust and effective and will deliver the change we promised to help protect thousands of species worldwide. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) will be setting out plans soon.

You might want to know that, in 2019, the UK recorded 63 imports of hunting trophies from species listed under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). The UK recorded 33 imports in 2018, 69 in 2017, and 143 in 2016. Defra has not made an assessment of the reasons for this increase in 2019 but imports fluctuate year-on-year for many reasons including fluctuations in the number of animals hunted, and how hunting trophies are recorded and counted on permits.

Defra officials have engaged with a range of stakeholders to inform our policy on hunting trophy imports, including officials from other governments. As part of this work we have spoken to officials from the Government of the Netherlands. As we develop our policy, we are looking at how other countries have approached this issue, alongside the wide range of views and evidence we have received through our consultation and call for evidence. I will follow progress on this very closely.

I do hope this will be of some assurance to you.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to me.

Kind regards,

Ben Wallace

THE RT HON BEN WALLACE MP

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...