Working Dog insurance

Nickg

I have a 7 month old Lab. He will be on the peg with me next season and used for when I run shoot days. I've been looking into pet insurance for him. I spoke to my vet who said that Petplan wasn't bad. I've also looked at the BASC dog insurance ( agri pet ). Does anyone have good/bad experiences with insurance companies?
Do you have to declare that the dog is a working dog to the insurance company?

Thanks

Glyn 1

Do not use Direct line under any circumstances! Very bad experience with this company. Can't be bothered to go into details but they are the lowest of the low when it comes to dog insurance.

I used to have my dogs insured with NFU as an add on to my home contents insurance (one dog still is) but we have now taken the difficult decision to not insure our latest dog but increase the money we put monthly into a 'Rainy day' ISA instead. It's a bit of a gamble and it will obviously come back to bite us if we ever get a £10,000 vet bill but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Afraid the insurance premiums just kept going up and up along with the excess and list of things that weren't covered was getting longer.

Forgot to say; I think you definitely want to declare that you have a working dog. The insurance companies will go to huge lengths to avoid paying out so don't give them a reason on a plate.

Uncle f

I use pet guard (thistle insurance) for both the cocker I use him rough shooting/picking up etc and the pointer as my deer dog. State that you work them and all will be well.
I did use pet plan for a year when the cocker was a pup and then went to renew and the second year was about £52 a month!!!!! And he would not be covered if injured while working.
Changed to pet gaurd and the premium for him (5 years old) is £22 a month and the pointer (2 years old) £19 a month. Have to point out that I had a claim issue with the cocker where he’d eaten a plastic clothes peg and it was a Friday night (never happens during office hours) and he had emergency surgery and hospital treatment totalling £3500k (vets are sharks and hit us when we’re vunerable) and the insurance company we’re faultless In there response and paid the vets direct I just had to cover the £150 excess

philip

Do not use Direct line under any circumstances! Very bad experience with this company. Can't be bothered to go into details but they are the lowest of the low when it comes to dog insurance.

I used to have my dogs insured with NFU as an add on to my home contents insurance (one dog still is) but we have now taken the difficult decision to not insure our latest dog but increase the money we put monthly into a 'Rainy day' ISA instead. It's a bit of a gamble and it will obviously come back to bite us if we ever get a £10,000 vet bill but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Afraid the insurance premiums just kept going up and up along with the excess and list of things that weren't covered was getting longer.

Forgot to say; I think you definitely want to declare that you have a working dog. The insurance companies will go to huge lengths to avoid paying out so don't give them a reason on a plate.

Likewise Glyn

Having had to endure the nightmare of Tesco’s pet insurance, Having give them the boot, I now put monies aside each month for my own “pet insurance “ in a building society account and each year we use any residue to good use,

Cheers

Phil

Scotty99

I use Agria via BASC for both my HWVs. I have found them to be excellent. I have made a number of claims related to injuries while working...all paid with no hassle. Their premiums are competitive and you get the first three months free of you are a BASC member.

Dexter

Once you start using it for work I would go down the DD into a separate bank account route. Insuring working dogs to cover anything realistic is expensive. Additionally, don't expect too much of your Lab dog at such a young age Nick. Lab dogs don't mature until they're 30 months or so. I'm sure that you know that though.

Dexter

Likewise Glyn

Having had to endure the nightmare of Tesco’s pet insurance, Having give them the boot, I now put monies aside each month for my own “pet insurance “ in a building society account and each year we use any residue to good use,

Cheers

Phil
How due you know how much is residue though Phillip?

philip

I put £50.00 a month. £600 pa ( which is 2/3rds of the cost of Tesco insurance PA for two dogs out of that
I pay for two visits to the vets for check ups as standard one in the spring after close of season and then in the Autumn prior to the main start, my spaniel run a 470 bill up year before last, but the money was there, to date
( not tempting fate ) every year it’s been in profit well against Tesco insurance who want a hefty buffer in the event of a problem as well

This is my 4th season and to date I’ve saved quite a lump of money, with my dogs having a decent health check up twice a year as well, may not suit some, but it works for me

In the event a major problem occurred I’ll look at that at the time, still pay up, and take it on the chin

mike243

I've used Churchill to Insure my dogs for the last 20 years, never had a claim for the first dog but had 1 claim each for the next two, cruciate ligament surgery, aprox £3.5k each, I ended up with an excess payment of about £500 for each, premiums never went up either, I was told when I took the Insurance out that they did not cover full time working dogs but when I asked they said 5 or 6 days as a pet accompanying on a shoot would be covered, never saw that in writing so never took it as gospel, just never mentioned shooting when I claimed, on the whole they were good, I'm getting a new Lab pup in about two weeks and will use Churchill again...........just my experiences