Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have heard the sleigh bells: "Drilling-drilling-drilling!"

I have heard the sleigh bells: "Drilling-drilling-drilling!"

Good morning everyone.

Yesterday afternoon, I finally heard sleigh bells coming from St James Street, so headed down to William Evans to collect the JP Sauer drilling that I bought on eGun over two months ago. This morning, I gave it a thorough clean, polish and inspection, and I'm very happy with my purchase. The left shotgun barrel has a little light pitting but as long as I clean it regularly, that's not a problem. It's been taken care of over the years. I put a dozen patches through the rifle barrel but it's clean, the rifling's sharp, no problems there. The scope mounts are perfectly tight with no movement whatsoever, and you can actually see underneath them to use the open sights or the shotgun barrels if you want to. The scope is clear, it's just that blacking is worn in places, but it's cosmetic. The wood is great.

I put in some 16 bore snapcaps (the 7x57R ones are at the Post Office, I haven't had a chance to collect them yet) and had a play with the triggers and barrel selectors. Here I noticed something that concerns me a bit: I don't seem to be able to fire the right shotgun barrel with the front trigger. It's also the rifle trigger and works fine when the rifle barrel is selected. But it won't move on the shotgun setting. The cocking indicator shows that the hammer is cocked. There's a striker where there should be. So I'm hoping that either I'm not doing something correctly, or maybe it's just a bit stuck because it hasn't been fired in a while and will react positively to a little WD40 or a bash.

There seems to be a very narrow little screw in the front trigger which is probably to adjust the trigger weight. I might have a play with that and see if it makes a difference. I did notice that the triggers seems heavy. I thought there was a set trigger function for the rifle. Maybe there is and I just haven't yet worked out how to set it. Anyway, apart from that, it's great an I really look forward to trying it out either at Malc's on Saturday if there's time, or at the BSRC in January, so I'm already for a day's mixed stalking and shooting on the 10th.

Here are a couple of not very good pictures. I'll try and take some better ones later.

Attachment 50436Attachment 50437

That's a good looking gun PM, enjoy.

Is that the safety catch on the lhs?...looks like I've seen on WW Greener guns.

ps...go steady on the tinkering, pause and consider as one of my heroes used to say (Para Handy )
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Health to enjoy PM!
    +1 to what private fraser said and leave the tinkering to someone who knows how to tinker...........
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Yes, that is indeed the safety catch, like on a Greener. Not to be confused with the barrel selector on the tang that says "S" when the shotgun barrels are selected, which does NOT stand for "safe".

I've just emailed the serial number to Sauer to see if they can find out when it was made, and maybe they perhaps have a copy of the user manual lying around. Given that the gun is in perfect condition pretty much, I'm hoping that the trigger thing is just down to me being a numpty.

Congrats PM! Lovely bit of kit. Have been reading your thread on this for a while and am glad that Santa came early after all the hassle and bureaucracy. Enjoy!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Set triggers are generally push forward to engage.
    Is the shotgun trigger an inertia trigger that engages the second barrel after the first has fired? To find out fire the first barrel then bump the stock butt on the floor and try the second barrel with the same trigger? Maybe........
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I have by the way a Docter 6x42 with the same rail system that would suit that gun perfectly. Interested?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Wait until you've got all the snap caps before 'playing' and leave those wee screws well alone for now.

It does look smart but still has way too many triggers for my liking!

Well done.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I have by the way a Docter 6x42 with the same rail system that would suit that gun perfectly. Interested?
    No thanks, the 6x43 Nickel scope that it came with is just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Wait until you've got all the snap caps before 'playing' and leave those wee screws well alone for now.

It does look smart but still has way too many triggers for my liking!

Well done.

K
    Thanks K. Don't worry, I won't muck around with it or take any stupid risks. It could well be that the rear trigger fires both shotgun barrels although that would be a strange arrangement. A bit more pondering and experimenting with snap caps is required.