222 rem reloading

User0013

Hi I am trying to work out costs of reloading for the. 222 rem I currently don't have any scales for measuring powder I'm just using a wee Lee scoop I got with a kit, can anybody tell me the average number of rounds that can be reloaded from a 1lb tub of powder so I can work out how much each shot is costing, many thanks

8x57

Distinguished Member
That will depend on how many grains you load into each case (7,000 grains to the pound).

8x57

Distinguished Member
How many grains are you using per shot ?
7000 divided by 343 = 20.4 grains at a guess. :)

Maxiwaxy you don't say what powder you are using. The weight of powder will vary slightly for each different powder using a fixed capacity scoop. Lee give an indication of expected weights in their loading guid for the CC of your scoop.

wcog106

You get a lot from a 1lb of powder, it does not matter a great deal if you put 20 to 23 grains in a case, you still get lots.
More to the point is how much do you pay for brass and projectiles, there is more variables in that cost than a few grains of powder.

User0013

I'm using h4895 there seems to be plenty of shot to be had from one tub. I paid £49 for a tub which I thought was a bit on the expensive side but it was my first time buying powder gonna try ringing a few dealers and try get a better price. The cheapest bullet I can find is £15.50 for 100 ppu soft points I have some serria blitz King but they 30p a shot I think I seen somewhere hornady v max for maybe 22p or so I would be happy with that for foxes. I picked up fired brass around 250 for £3.50 not so long ago at a car boot looked like once fired judging by the primers not way to tell for sure but needless to say I was delighted with that find

wcog106

I started with a Lee zero error kit, a hammer. Primers , brass and bullets and was gobsmacked at the results.
To be fair the results over factory rounds in terms of accuracy made it worth
while. The cost savings are welcome too. .222 is a great round to reload for, you pull the trigger lots for little money.

As above, I had the kids help me make up 312 rounds today using a 1lb tub of powder. I don’t know how other people carry ammo but I find about 50 rounds loose in a climbing chalk bag attached to the handle bars of the quad works very well.

Smellydog

I'm using h4895 there seems to be plenty of shot to be had from one tub. I paid £49 for a tub which I thought was a bit on the expensive side but it was my first time buying powder gonna try ringing a few dealers and try get a better price. The cheapest bullet I can find is £15.50 for 100 ppu soft points I have some serria blitz King but they 30p a shot I think I seen somewhere hornady v max for maybe 22p or so I would be happy with that for foxes. I picked up fired brass around 250 for £3.50 not so long ago at a car boot looked like once fired judging by the primers not way to tell for sure but needless to say I was delighted with that find
H4895 is no longer being imported but being so wonderful a powder it is popular and will command a premium just now.
H322 is also as good for 222 but also no longer being imported I think.
There will be cheaper alternatives.
Don't worry about using the ppu bullets if cost is of concern. They will be just as good in the field.

User0013

H4895 is no longer being imported but being so wonderful a powder it is popular and will command a premium just now.
H322 is also as good for 222 but also no longer being imported I think.
There will be cheaper alternatives.
Don't worry about using the ppu bullets if cost is of concern. They will be just as good in the field.

That's a real shame will have to find another suitable powder but the. 222rem seems not to be too fussy so hopefully won't be too difficult. My wife shot a jackdaw at 200 yards with one of my homeloads with ppu stone dead.

Acmac25

What you boys using weight wise for bullets? I'm away to start reloading for a mate who has a .222 with 1-14 twist I think. I have quite a few 55gr for my 223 and was hoping to just use them.

Cheers

Ali

User0013

What you boys using weight wise for bullets? I'm away to start reloading for a mate who has a .222 with 1-14 twist I think. I have quite a few 55gr for my 223 and was hoping to just use them.

Cheers

Ali

I have only used 50 gr in mine I personally don't think I would use 55 they are prob at the limits for. 222 but no harm loading a few and see how they shoot.

Acmac25

I have only used 50 gr in mine I personally don't think I would use 55 they are prob at the limits for. 222 but no harm loading a few and see how they shoot.

That was my concern, that 55gr might have been on the limit, thanks for the info :thumb: might have to look at something a bit lighter.

Ali

8x57

Distinguished Member

Cheers

Ali

I always used 55grn bullets in mine as they were far easier to come by. I can't remember the weight of the bullet (60grn ?) but Sierra manufacture a heavier bullet that is specifically made to suit .222rem.
I had superb results using TU2000 and Varget powders both no longer available, and also with Vhitavuori N130.