6.5 x 55 - help

blackie

I'm looking to buy a 6.5 x 55 does anybody have any info on this calibre. I'll be using it mainly for red and fallow.

Blackie

6.5 x 55

this is an excellant calibre with great killing power. the 140 gr load has great secdtional density and is a proven game getter.

steve

blackie said:
Cheers Steve,

Got a .270 at the minute and going to change. Heard the 6.5 x 55 is far more versatile.

My mate changed from a 6.5X55 to a 270 as he found his 6.5 was not putting down red stags as he would of liked.

Remember that the 270 is a 6.8mm bore and the 6.5mm is well 6.5 so they are very simlar in diameter but the 270 can be loaded to a much higher pressure to give a higher velocity.

Best rgds

B-b

Hi Blackie

If you already have a 270 why change to a 6.5. The 270 will have a flatter trajectory. Having said that either will put down a red stag @ 300 yds if you care to shoot him in the top of the heart. The 6.5 may well be a gentler cartridge to shoot and therefore lead to more accurate shooting.
Have a look at this link
http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=120

Mark

The 6.5 X 55 will kill anything running loose in this Country with no bother at all, as will the 270. It's just a matter of choice

John

Hi Blackie

Do you reload ?

If so i can recommend the .260 rem !

Short action, 6.5 bullets, higher pressure/faster

and EXCLUSIVE

i love mine.

Hi Splash,
I do reload and haven't thought about .260. I'll have a look into it.
The reason I fancied a 6.5 x 55 was just a change.

Hi Splash

How do you find your 260 with heavy 140gn and up bullets, I understand that there can be problems with these weight bullets in a repeater based on a 308 length action, because of the long bullets have to be seated too far into the case and this compromises power capacity in the case. Is this a problem in your rifle? It is supposed to be a good cartridge with 95 to 130gn bullets.

Best rgds

Thar

have a look at a 7-08 rem. if you fancy swapping the .270. Mine is awesome as regards dropping stuff were it stands and you can get heavier bullets than the .270. and in a short action with less powder.
Unfortunatly i am thinking of selling my 7-08 as i also shoot a .308" and a .243". the connotations of mixing up a head or loaded round scares me. 7-08 brass is only available headstamped from Remmington as is the case with the .260 i believe. Although the .260 will neck up from .2432 and the 7-08 will neck down from .308" (alowing the use of better brass) the homeloader such as me who has similar calibres should avoid it on safety grounds i feel. 6.5 x 55 is regulary used on bigger stuff than REds in Lapland and Bell shot lots of Elephant with the older version ! Before he switched to 7mm x 57 !!

Hi Thar

I have only used 129 grn heads, the stalking i have is for munties and fallow, i have not needed an other weight as my other rifles sort that out.

The heads i use are 129 grn hornaday soft point and group at under 1 '' at 100m
The rifle is a remington model 7 stainless synthetic 20 '' barrel

i also have a .22-250 and .308 so checking what ammo you are using is a must.

Not much will stand up to a 130gn bullet in the UK. It sounds like you have a nice compact stalking rifle there. :)

Best rgds

Thar

6.5x55

There was a very similar type of post earlier on the board which I replied to last night. Same comments again, but would also add that under the BASC research the 6.5 is the fourth most popular calibre in the UK for deer stalking. In order .243, .308, .270 and 6.5 x 55. The relevance being most serious rifle shops will hold a range of ammo if you don't load your own although I use Norma 140grn Nosler part for everything.

If the law in England was the same as in Scotland for Roe I think the .243 would quickly fall from use. Many pro Roe stalkers up here tend to use 22.250 Rems.

Finally, if you didn't see this review of the new Sako 85 in 6.5x 55 in the Shooting Times you might find it of interest.

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/152560/Sako_85_Hunter_rifle_review.html

Regards

MacNab

Blaser R93 in 6.5x55. 150yards and on the move. Dropped within a couple of feet. Norma Oryx 156grn.

Never had any trouble with htis calibre and find it extremely versatile and nice to shoot, even in a relatively light rifle.

Terry.

Hello Terry, and welcome to the site. I think this is the first time that I have seen a picture of a moose that was taken with a 6.5, you hear about it all the time, but rarely see it.

How's the article about it coming along? nearly finished? :D :D

John

Thanks for the welcome John.

Here's another unusual one for you......Beaver with a 6.5x55!

Sorry if it's a bit 'off-topic'.

Nice one Terry, which country did you take your Moose in. I shot one very similar to yours the other year in Finland.

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it ;)

welcome to the site terry
and some blinding pics , talk about making an entrance
hope you enjoy this site as much as i and other members will enjoy your pics
kindest regards
stone
ps hide the beaver from mrB he has a hard spot for them :lol:
down boy down

6.5x55

I have a 6.5 and find it more than enough for reds. I have shot a few stags and hinds with it an have found that the majority dropped within 3 yds of the impact point. The only one that ran on 15 yds was aware of me for approx 30 seconds so its adrenaline would have been up.

I have used 120gr for roe and red
129gr for roe and red
and 140 on red

All performed well
J

Back