Buying bullets from USA - Reloading

d0nni

Hi Lads,

My parents are away to america for a few weeks to visit the brother, my dad asked me was there anything i wanted brought home. I'm just wondering can they buy me any bullet heads while they are out there? Just wondering what the NSA / Customs boys will say about it? The price differences are worlds apart so would be interesting to know

Cheers,
Andrew

Our customs wouldn't give a s**t, but I don't think export from the USA is permitted without a licence, so don't put you olds in orange jump suits:)

Cheers

Bruce

US sources of reloading supplies to the UK for individuals dried up a few years ago due to the requirement for export licences for even small quantities of expanding bullets etc. - presumably due to the restrictions placed on them by ITAR. Best to check with US Customs or an email to the US Embassy might elicit a response regarding the current position for personal export. Don't rely on a thread from 6 years ago, things have moved on, although there is no problem with bringing them into to UK as uncontrolled items other than maybe import duty and VAT being levied.

Granted this was 6 years ago, but surely cant have changed much?

Things have changed quite a bit in 6 years and on both sides of the Atlantic, some for the better and some for the worst. Don't work on old out of date information because it could very well cause problems for your parents, get up to date info.

Just be sensible - anything firearms, ammunition, explosives related is going to make security twitch. Not worth it. If you want to order bullets then plenty of UK and European dealers can send them direct to your door. Yes they may be more expensive than American retail price and you will save £20 on a box of bullets. But add in a few legal fees etc etc etc.

You don't want to give airport security any reasons what so ever. I once had my laptop wiped. I had been reloading and they found powder residue on my keyboard. Fortunately I have a copy of my FAC on my iPhone and once I had persuaded them to let me show this to them they backed down.

The current regulations are quite clear, for export from the USA all ammunition, components of ammunition, the machines used in reloading and the components of the machines used in reloading are covered by the ITAR regulations in accordance with the State Department. So an export licence is required.

However, there is dispensation for articles used in the "Homeloading" of ammunition. Which means non-commercial or commercial gain.

So as long as its not primers, powder or primed cases (all dangerous goods) then you can fill your boots.

Rules on importing is that you are supposed to declare all items bought abroad over a total of £125.00 (IIRC) to HMRC on arrival to the UK.

The only real problem with bringing bullets back is that it only takes a few boxes to start to fill your baggage allowance (weight wise).

Hope that helps.

I'm sure your parents will appreciate a little spell in Camp Gitmo to round off their lovely holiday. No matter what the rules are supposed to be, US airport security can be a nightmare. Think ill-informed but highly opinionated FEO on steroids. I really wouldn't put them to the trouble if I were you...unless of course they treated you badly as a child and you want to repay the favour...in which case...all bets are off...

I've bought them from here a few times..ReloadingInternational.com
they sort out the export license for you, you sign a waiver that they are for personal use and off you go.. good service too. Not sure I'd fancy bringing them through customs, not because it's illegal but some jobsworth could be a pain in the ass and spoil a holiday.

unless of course they treated you badly as a child and you want to repay the favour...in which case...all bets are off...
interesting dilema to place a middle child in... Lol nah think you all are right. All it takes is some as you stated "jobsworth" to ruin a trip. Going to check that website out though. It end up much cheaper Tom?

The current regulations are quite clear, for export from the USA all ammunition, components of ammunition, the machines used in reloading and the components of the machines used in reloading are covered by the ITAR regulations in accordance with the State Department. So an export licence is required.

However, there is dispensation for articles used in the "Homeloading" of ammunition. Which means non-commercial or commercial gain.

Do you have a link to a reference for the dispensation? Might help someone if they do come unstuck.

Perhaps adding 'inert' to the description when declaring their purchases might help, even calling them 'heads' instead of 'bullets'!!!!!!!!!!

I used to fetch stuff back from the usa in the good old days, but its not worth it now, to much hassle, I buy and support my local gun dealer now . dave.

My local gun dealer likes to support himself too much even compared to england prices unfortunately

Back