Can anyone..

j0e_bl0ggs

please tell me the size of the spigot and thread on the base of optilock rings?
Thanks!

Will be making a limited run of windage adjustable bases to fit picatinny rail.

Last edited:

j0e_bl0ggs

I will be making a small run of 'windage adjustable' blocks (for picatinny rail) to take apel and hopefully optilock rings if someone helps with dimensions.
I have plenty of apel rings so do not need the dims.
First non-trade member to help will receive 1 pair of blocks!

Posted on another forum, only 1 set will be available.

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
I have a set of optilock weaver bases and rings in front of me right now at work (just bought from another member) but nothing handy to measure them with! One observation though, the factory rear weaver base looks to already be adjustable for windage.

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
For some reason it's not mentioned in the specs... The bottom screw can move side to side in a slot and there are opposing grub screws in each side

Maybe these are older and they've changed the design?

WP_000249.jpg

Last edited:

j0e_bl0ggs

I have a set of them too.
Just FYI;
Apel rings will sit flush with the base, in your photo you can see a little overhang.
The other Apel give-away are the thumb screws. Although Apel did cut corners with the cap screw!!!

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
I have a set of them too.
Just FYI;
Apel rings will sit flush with the base, in your photo you can see a little overhang.
The other Apel give-away are the thumb screws. Although Apel did cut corners with the cap screw!!!
Interesting! They should still do the job though I guess...

Anyway... I've just taken some rings/bases apart I know are 100% optilock and the measurements are as follows:

optilock 001 (Large).JPGoptilock 003 (Large).JPG

Would that be an M5 thread? It must be metric I assume?

j0e_bl0ggs

I have both types of opti-locks, I'll give you the dimensions in about a year when I can get the tools out to measure them.
Very funny, you think I was happy?
Do you think that I can waste all my spare time with a guy sorting out his problems then he reneges on the deal?
Guy said he would help me with machine time on a horizontal folder and basically said he was too busy, what do I do?
I am in talks with someone else about my design to see if it will progress.
As to the mag (which I myself want) well I'm in the same boat, I guess you just do not wish to be on the list any more, fine!

DL

Very funny, you think I was happy?
Do you think that I can waste all my spare time with a guy sorting out his problems then he reneges on the deal?
Guy said he would help me with machine time on a horizontal folder and basically said he was too busy, what do I do?
I am in talks with someone else about my design to see if it will progress.
As to the mag (which I myself want) well I'm in the same boat, I guess you just do not wish to be on the list any more, fine!
In the thread that you started a year ago, you proposed to make magazines. In posts in the thread you were more interested in buying a magazine from either a member from this site, or a gunshop in Scotland rather than going through with producing some.
This is despite the offer of photographs, measurements, and even the loan of a mag to copy.

I've never been on the list of people that wants a mag from you, I have at least three for each of my tikkas, so am getting on perfectly well thanks. I do feel a degree of concern for the members on here who took the proposition seriously, and fear they may be disappointed.

With reference to your design, magazines do tend to be a rectangular box with a spring inside don't they? If you had the concept of producing a drum type magazine, then do accept my humble apologies.

By all means pass your idea onto someone else, who is better placed to follow this up. Although I am not in the market for one, I will be watching with interest.

Now along comes your suggestion for adjustable opti-locks, you're getting site members of a couple of sites to provide you measurements with the offer of a free set, what you haven't said here is that on another site, you said that the free set had been won at 15.54 yesterday.

I trust you'll be a good sort, and be a man of your word.

Toodles. ;)

Brithunter

I have no idea whose make these mounts are but they are for a Tikka from the look of the tapered dovetails in the bases. The bases are steel and the rear one, I assume it's the rear with the narrow dovetail, has the peg slot elongated with windage jam screws either side. The Rings are made of alloy and have the same profile as Apel rings. The pegs are not threaded but drop through and the jam screws in front and rear rings locate in grooves something like the Hilver stud idea but in reverse as Hilvers have the stud on the base and not dropping down from the ring like on these.

If you want Joe I'll photograph them. I brought them with the idea of using them on a project.

j0e_bl0ggs

In the thread that you started a year ago, you proposed to make magazines. In posts in the thread you were more interested in buying a magazine from either a member from this site, or a gunshop in Scotland rather than going through with producing some.
This is despite the offer of photographs, measurements, and even the loan of a mag to copy.

I've never been on the list of people that wants a mag from you, I have at least three for each of my tikkas, so am getting on perfectly well thanks. I do feel a degree of concern for the members on here who took the proposition seriously, and fear they may be disappointed.

With reference to your design, magazines do tend to be a rectangular box with a spring inside don't they? If you had the concept of producing a drum type magazine, then do accept my humble apologies.

By all means pass your idea onto someone else, who is better placed to follow this up. Although I am not in the market for one, I will be watching with interest.

Now along comes your suggestion for adjustable opti-locks, you're getting site members of a couple of sites to provide you measurements with the offer of a free set, what you haven't said here is that on another site, you said that the free set had been won at 15.54 yesterday.

I trust you'll be a good sort, and be a man of your word.

Toodles. ;)
Yes the guy who 'won' will receive a set.(ukvarminting)
Glad you know all about making mags, and the equipment needed to make a good job of them.
Yes I bought a couple of extended steel mags to assist with construction, I needed to confirm dimensions, so you complain that I invest my time and money?

Basically I think it would be better just to walk away from this idea now as I seem to be wasting my time in all directions and a complaint from a busy-body regarding
'fear about disappointment' is probably just the encouragement that I needed to rescind the offer of extended mags permanently here, which as you are well aware is my prerogative, thank you for your assistance.
This would equate to a similar amount of 'assistance' that I received from the guy who promised to supply me machine time (effectively a £400 investment of my time up the spout) obviously it is of little concern to some members of how disappointed I was at this turn of events. Truth is I did not really want to talk about it in public.
You make it plain that the impatience of members far outweighs my impatience to make the mags. No problem pay the £80 for 5 round tikka mags, I am glad that you are happy with yours.

As to the adjustable bases, that is off the back of my own requirements, I have purchased the material and tooling to make these blocks.
Obviously there is little interest in them here as suggested by your slight. So, ok, no problems.

No matter how one responds the reality is I decide what I do, by trying to force the issue you have deprived the 'membership' of these parts.
I hope that your patronising interest is duly satisfied.

Oh, no winking smiley.

DL

Yes the guy who 'won' will receive a set.(ukvarminting)
Glad you know all about making mags, and the equipment needed to make a good job of them.
Yes I bought a couple of extended steel mags to assist with construction, I needed to confirm dimensions, so you complain that I invest my time and money?

Basically I think it would be better just to walk away from this idea now as I seem to be wasting my time in all directions and a complaint from a busy-body regarding
'fear about disappointment' is probably just the encouragement that I needed to rescind the offer of extended mags permanently here, which as you are well aware is my prerogative, thank you for your assistance.
This would equate to a similar amount of 'assistance' that I received from the guy who promised to supply me machine time (effectively a £400 investment of my time up the spout) obviously it is of little concern to some members of how disappointed I was at this turn of events. Truth is I did not really want to talk about it in public.
You make it plain that the impatience of members far outweighs my impatience to make the mags. No problem pay the £80 for 5 round tikka mags, I am glad that you are happy with yours.

As to the adjustable bases, that is off the back of my own requirements, I have purchased the material and tooling to make these blocks.
Obviously there is little interest in them here as suggested by your slight. So, ok, no problems.

No matter how one responds the reality is I decide what I do, by trying to force the issue you have deprived the 'membership' of these parts.
I hope that your patronising interest is duly satisfied.

Oh, no winking smiley.
Well I suggest that it's easier for you to take umbrage & attempt to spin this around as being the fault of others in some way, when in fact, it's you that's been coming up with the big ideas, and not producing the goods. ;)

bills

Incredible

Hi all, I have been interested in material from JoeBloggs for a little while since I met him a short while ago, he is arranging some stalking for me and has shown me round a few times to make sure I know the land and the best trails etc. I also had some problems with scopes and guns (thanks to being screwed over by a gunsmith) so have used him more than I probably should for advice since meeting him. I am also in need of mags as well as scope bases.

I am truly astounded at the attitude of DL. I actually had to rub my eyes and read it twice through to make sure I was actually reading it right! You DL are the exact reason nobody in this country does anything for anyone any more, whether its holding a door open or saying please or thank you in a shop. You are the essence of what it is to be in Britain today in my humble opinion, an arrogant selfish ungrateful attempt at being a know it all who DOES nothing but talks as if you are the giver of all givers and the font of all things good and holy.

JoeBloggs, for your information, is an extremely skilled person and an incredibly kind and generous one. He has done various modifications and offered HOURS of advice to me for sweet fanny adams. Even when I tried to pay him a bit of beer money for what amounted to probably well in excess of £100 of free gear he gave me as it was "just lying around the workshop and was never used" JB said "don't be daft, we stalkers look after each other, one day you can do me a good turn when I need one".

So just let me recap. JB likes to dabble with machines, electronics, optics, bullets and reloading etc etc. He also very much likes to help people out if he can, I know this first hand and he gained nothing from me but a nice cup of coffee every half hour while he was busy filing and hammering away in my workshop. He hates how the shops fleece people for magazines and scope rings (and everything else) and decided he can make stuff himself just as good or more likely better, with more attention and care about the manufacturing process, and wanted to do so for as little cost as possible. He unfortunately didn't have all the equipment necessary and made that CLEAR from the outset, but assuming he could rely on promises made TO HIM by others, he told people he was hoping to come up with something. No contracts were signed, no money was given to him!
It didn't come off, and as he moaned to me about last time I saw him, the bloke concerned has left him well over £400 out of pocket on the idea and now just "doesn't want to know" any more so has retracted his previous offer because he is too busy on other things. How the HELL can that be JB's fault? Jesus, did he HAVE to offer at all in the first place? NO. Did he have to offer free bases? NO. Anyone on here would offer that info when asked, it wouldnt have taken long to get the info from someone here and the offer of a freebie was just a sweetener, because he is the generous type. He didn't have to do it. To make out he was leading people along is low and shows you up for the pathetic creature you clearly must be. In fact it looks very much like, contrary to what you say, you were probably the one who was MOST interested in a magazine from him and so you are simply really peed off that you aren't getting one now, and since you probably never heard the word NO when you were growing up, you threw your teddy out the pram and decided to attack him and try to make everyone follow you in your witch hunt. Absolutely pathetic. Grow up. If you truly have no need for any of his stuff, you took an awfully big interest in him and his "promises" didn't you?! I can't think of a reason I would spend time tracking promises made on a forum by some stranger who was talking about making something I had NO NEED for.

Far from being a 'let down' as DL has tried to paint him here, in my experience JB has impressed me enough that I have recently commissioned him for a custom build of a machine which my business needs and which doesn't exist anywhere in the UK. I have struggled for 2 years to find someone with the skills and trustworthy enough to ask. When asking him to quote for it, his answer was "Just leave it with me, let me see if i can pull one together in the flesh from your plans using old spare parts I can source locally, and if we get a prototype running how you want then we can go from there"! He intends to spend his evenings and weekends on this around his day job, despite the fact he could be earning for that work. Thats the sign of a decent genuine and RARE person these days if you ask me, the very last sort of person I would call a let down.

I have not known him very long, but I believe in decent people looking out for other decent people. Having been amazed at the attitude of just one person on here, I felt it worth spending 15 minutes to put MY point of view across here.

JB - Please don't take any notice whatsoever, plenty of other people are interested in the mags and the scope bases so plug on mate and if and when you come up with something let me know because I for one will still be interested. Some people can't be helped, but others can so don't let others suffer due to the ignorance of one individual, though I would understand if you threw in the towel as some people often make it seem pointless being decent any more.

P.S. - If you come across a cheap air compressor, drop me a message please!! :D

gitano

Sheesh... What a place...

I met Joe here shortly after I became a member. While my 'endorsement' is probably more hinderence for him than help, I'll add my two-pence-worth anyway. He has "come through" on MANY "things" for me over the past 15 months. To tell him to **** off and thereby lose his considerable skills and experience is... well, let's just say "unwise" shall we.

Paul