Can I have some boar hunting tips please

J111

Hi Guys,

So, I've just got confirmation that a mate of mine has just bought a farm in Monmouthshire and I'll have permission to shoot on it. He showed me photos of damage in the fields caused by boar so I'm fairly excited!

I'm going to head over in a couple of weeks to check it out and have a walk around. I've not had any dealings with boar before so what am I looking for for evidence of boar activity and what might be some good strategies for getting my first wild boar? dusk and dawn a good start? Lamping? high seats as per deer?

Any tips welcome.

Cheers, J

shakey jake

Feed station near evidence, decent rifle in boar calibre and night vision would be my starting point. Keep us up dated and if you need any help i bet plenty of people will be available
Jake

J111

Cheers guys - what sort of bait?
30-06 should do the job.
Been thinking about night vision - thinking there's two options - night vision spotter + lamp on rifle or, night vision scope but then you have to do your spotting through the scope which isn't the best is it.

J111

Also, presumably it's a heart shot and then what's the craic with the gralloch and meat processing - same sort of deal as deer but butcher as per pig?

JTO

Cheers guys - what sort of bait?
30-06 should do the job.
Been thinking about night vision - thinking there's two options - night vision spotter + lamp on rifle or, night vision scope but then you have to do your spotting through the scope which isn't the best is it.
That live nature cam in Estonia seemed to get a lot of boar last year once they started feeding carrots. this year, they've tried to put them out of reach of boar.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/hirv.html
Get a spotter AND a NV scope.

Last edited:

Alantoo

Also, presumably it's a heart shot and then what's the craic with the gralloch and meat processing - same sort of deal as deer but butcher as per pig?
Gralloch is much the same I found. A bit of a fiddle getting the oesophagus tied off...quite deep in and shortish throat compared to deer.

But don't do what I did and spend a day with a paint scraper and propane torch scraping the hair off...only to read that evening that everybody advises to skin them.

Mind you, my two were youngsters and we did have lovely crackling!

A retired butcher friend did mine with me delaying him by helping.

Alan

ileso

boar are dead easy, they always use the same routs and if fed they are an animal of habit, so definately a high seat for guaranteed success.
either corn or if you can chestnusts and or acorns. they learn very quickly though.

another thing that will attract them , especially in the coldest weeks of winter is deer or sheep gralloch.... maybe its because of the extra protein content or the smell, they love it.

Last edited:

Sika98k

any recommendation for a spotter?
I use a Bresser NV monocular teamed up with a T20 infrared. Cheap and cheerful but I can spot foxes out to 250-300 yds with it. Total outlay about £135. to include a small picatinny rail and a weaver ring to hold the T20 on.

sauer

There was a link / thread to another spotter on the go just now ....I'll see if can find

Ok here
Nv monocular spotter

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ethestalkingdirectory%2Eco%2Euk%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D128377&share_tid=128377&share_fid=108589&share_type=t

If you have the money then for a spotter go thermal ....if not one of what mentioned above would do for high seat ranges easily and not break the bank .
Again if going NV for shooting then go drone pro if money not a problem....or even thermal again !

If looking at cheaper option can go add-on or likes of photon

If wanting no no nonsense true advise from someone who understands the technical side of things ask mealiejimmy on here .

What he doesn't know about thermal & digital NV isn't worth knowing

Paul

Last edited: