Current prices per kg of venison

charlieboy-shooter

Hi,

Can anyone please advise me on the expected current price /kg for a chest shot fallow carcass selling to either a Butcher, farm shop or a game dealer. I understand that there will be local variation. The last post I could find was from 2015. Have Dsc1 so can provide correct paperwork.

Thanks

Last edited:

stratts

Just spoke to Peterborough Game and they are currently paying £2.80/kg for all carcasses head shot, with reductions depending on damage due to the shot position. That's if you take it in yourself.

No idea if that's good, bad or ugly as I've never sold any yet! What I do know is you are likely to wait 4-6 weeks for the money if they are still the same as the last time I took any rabbits!! :-|

Stratts

The fourth Horseman

Peterborough Game are OK but they are encouraging dodgy head shots. They have quite a punitive system of reduction for chest,shoulder and saddle shots. I don't sell mine to dealers fortunately so have no problems. With 2 sons, 9 grandkids (2 married)and one or two close friends who all seem to live on venison, it's surprising how many carcasses disappear very quickly.

wildfowler.250

What form do you fill in when handing venison over to a dealer? Not done dsc 1 but qualified vet so should be able to sign for carcasses,(do a lot of public health as part of the degree).

How are you handing the beasts over? Skin on? Head + legs off? Only shoot the odd beast for myself but interested to know

Monkey Spanker

What form do you fill in when handing venison over to a dealer? Not done dsc 1 but qualified vet so should be able to sign for carcasses,(do a lot of public health as part of the degree).

How are you handing the beasts over? Skin on? Head + legs off? Only shoot the odd beast for myself but interested to know
I don't think being a vet qualifies you as such, but it will certainly help! You need to have a 'Large Game Handling Certificate' which is what you gain as one of the 5 modules on a DSC 1 course. It also relates to contamination and animal behaviour prior to shot. When selling a carcass, you need to sign a declaration.
All you need to know is contained within the latest Wild Game guide here:
http://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/guidance/wild-game-guide.pdf
Ironically, once bought by the game dealer, the carcass will then be inspected by a vet such as yourself!:doh:
MS

baguio

Surely finding the £3.20kg should be a piece of cake for you especially after rooting through all my profile and posts :D
Why the secret Scarlet? I'm sure that quite a few of us on here would like to benefit from £3.20/KG. Do tell!

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Gentlemen can we please not have this. The question is what price are you getting for your venison? If its £50 per kilo we all know its untrue! The price does vary slightly and in many instances game dealers do tend to be a bit picky and ask for head and neck shots( so I have been led to believe, but I have never been asked in 40 years, except when culling on a park)

If someone is claiming they are receiving high prices then good for them. It might be true, on the other hand it might not be, but at days end that's up to them. We all try to obtain the best price for the end product we produce after a long day in the field, whether we are full time professional like Monkey Spanker, or recreational, which the vast majority are. Either way we do not need threads descending into an argument.

Thank you

charlieboy-shooter

Hi guys, Just wanted to thank all those that replied.

All The local farm / butchers shops only wanted a haunch or said they can't take with skin on or where worried about the damaged due to chest shot. I was in process of skinning the carcass when I heard someone come up my drive. It was the Next lady (my other half loves a bit of online shopping) to cut a long story short after all the butchers it turns out the next lady was the most interested person in buying some venison. You couldn't make it up. To be honest I was surprised @ the prices. I expected some local variation but was a little disappointed with the price? So I have ended up with more fallow in my freezer. That said I can only eat so much so I have since contacted a local well known Essex game dealers which are offering £2.50 /kg but reductions if shoulder damaged. Also spoke to another game dealer who offered me £2/kg.
Thanks

wildfowler.250

Can I ask, when preparing the carcass for the game dealer, do you saw either side of the pelvis/H bone to open the pelvic canal up? I'm always worried about damaging the meat when doing this? What organs,(if any) do you tend to leave in? everything out or leave liver, kidneys ect in? Thanks!

Tim.243

Can I ask, when preparing the carcass for the game dealer, do you saw either side of the pelvis/H bone to open the pelvic canal up? I'm always worried about damaging the meat when doing this? What organs,(if any) do you tend to leave in? everything out or leave liver, kidneys ect in? Thanks!
A bit off track but getting the bladder out of a Muntjac buck with out splitting the pelvis is next to impossible as there is no room. The Does having the birth canal then it is a lot easier.

Any big deer I have taken in has only the kidneys left in.

Tim.243

wildfowler.250

A bit off track but getting the bladder out of a Muntjac buck with out splitting the pelvis is next to impossible as there is no room. The Does having the birth canal then it is a lot easier.

Any big deer I have taken in has only the kidneys left in.

Tim.243
Cheers!

bogtrotter

Can I ask, when preparing the carcass for the game dealer, do you saw either side of the pelvis/H bone to open the pelvic canal up? I'm always worried about damaging the meat when doing this? What organs,(if any) do you tend to leave in? everything out or leave liver, kidneys ect in? Thanks![/QUOTE

Really depends on the game dealer some are happy to accept carcasses with the aitch bone intact some not, mine insists
on the aitch bone being split.

And nothing left in all organs attached to the pluck, many dealers will pay you for the pluck.

Last edited:

wildfowler.250

Can I ask, when preparing the carcass for the game dealer, do you saw either side of the pelvis/H bone to open the pelvic canal up? I'm always worried about damaging the meat when doing this? What organs,(if any) do you tend to leave in? everything out or leave liver, kidneys ect in? Thanks![/QUOTE

Really depends on the game dealer some are happy to accept carcasses with the aitch bone intact some not, mine insists
on the aitch bone being split.

And nothing left in all organs attached to the pluck, many dealers will pay you for the pluck.
thanks!