Fox Calibre

Which would be your preference for foxing

• Total voters

njc110381

I like .22-250. It's flat shooting, hits with more authority than it needs but in turn that generally puts them down fast. I've used loads of calibres from the little .17 hornet up to 6.5x55 in any numbers on fox and out of all of them it's the .22-250 I've found the best for general outings.

leeward

I have been using a 204 , 223 & 22-250 , 204 still rocks , 223 does the business , 22-250 flattens them , ammo is a bit more expensive, take your pick all will do the job.....

finnbear270

Anything on up from.17 Fireball to .270, A cut Border barreled .223 fast twist, throwing 69 grains was probably the best of all the distance foxers, .17 Fireball in the council cemeteries within heavily populated housing areas.

Rhodesianjess

For foxes only, now with night vision, 223 preferred. Owned a lot of calibres over the years,all have pros and cons. 22-250 noisy,harsh and overkill. Didn't have mine long, especially when villagers within the estate say heard you out last night! 223 easily moderated, easy to spot hits, generally preferred.
Handload so ammo not an issue. Never found that 22-250 could do anything the 223 can't.

AGR

For foxes only, now with night vision, 223 preferred. Owned a lot of calibres over the years,all have pros and cons. 22-250 noisy,harsh and overkill. Didn't have mine long, especially when villagers within the estate say heard you out last night! 223 easily moderated, easy to spot hits, generally preferred.
Handload so ammo not an issue. Never found that 22-250 could do anything the 223 can't.
I had the very same problem with the 22-250. Great round though.

sir-lamp-alot

99% of people generally shoot there foxes under 200yards and truth be know the vast amout of foxes shot will fall in the 50-150 yard bracket, and most people will use calibres ranging from .22 hornet to .30-06 for foxing and the differnce in trajectory over the 50- 150 yards distance with a 100 yard zero in real world hunting terms isnt diddley sqwat with these calibres and they will still be "point and shoot". Then add in that all the mentioned calibres are more than capable of killing a fox with a chest shot within the 150 yard range and further, then the conclussion will be that for 99% of people the actual calibre they choose to shot foxes with is imaterial.