HMR, WMR or WSM - some real world advice please

JackD032

of your suggested calibres I would go 22wmr , I have one and used to agree with Tulloch but the new 30-33g ammo was a sea change in performance for the calibre in accuracy and performance !
I read that too, the Hornady 30 gr V Max is supposed to be very handy.

Tobyc064

Hi mate , I had a .17 wsm when they first come out in a savage stainless with a thumbhole stock it was very fun to shoot and very accurate I shot 6 inch targets out to 450 yards , I could headshot rabbits easily at 150 yards on windy nights and it would cut them in half! it needs the barrel and chamber cleaning a lot to maintain accuracy and not getting brass stuck however I ended up selling it for a smaller very light weight .17hmr which is more practical for this side of 130 yards but ammo on both calibers is going up and up , reloading a small centerfire is the way but its just trying not to loose the brass!

Tulloch

Great shooting with a 22! I think a steel plate and a few hundred rounds of practise would be a good starting point for me. It’s a new Sidewinder with tactical turrets so it will dial and I could get Strelok on my phone. Most of my rabbit shooting is late afternoon but I do get out some nights with nv. I find judging distance with nv nigh on impossible so I’ll generally range find whilst it’s still light to a point at 70m and know I can hit out to there.
Your speeds if using cci subs will be more like 1060fps and not the box speed of 1050fps just remember that

JackD032

Your speeds if using cci subs will be more like 1060fps and not the box speed of 1050fps just remember that
Thanks mate. Having started with air rifles and hold over I’d never considered dialling, but I’m going to give it a go. Reckon that would be an enjoyable afternoon well spent.

Tulloch

Thanks mate. Having started with air rifles and hold over I’d never considered dialling, but I’m going to give it a go. Reckon that would be an enjoyable afternoon well spent.
You might just fall in love with the humble .22lr again
I am always surprised on what it does, I have shot foxes out to 100yrds, my longest rabbit is 230yrds , I have hit steel at 400yrds distances that many wont even push their centrefires too and the beauty of it all is that your less than a tenner for a 100 rounds which means you can shoot all day and night if you wanna and no or little barrel wear or over heating etc etc

old keeper

I regularly use a 17 Hornet, a17HMR and 22LR. All, as has been said have their uses. I use the 17HMR for night shooting rabbits from the truck. Flat shooting there's no need to allow for distance, unlike the 22LR I am generally shooting at 100 yards or less and never allow for the wind. In any case, it really is impossible to know from where the wind is coming from when you are constantly on the move. I always chest shoot and in truth don't miss a lot. I get the odd badly damaged one (ferret food/fox bait) but most are quite useable. The 22LR I use for daylight shooting where noise can be a problem. The 17 Hornet is hugely enjoyable for long range rabbits, out to 225 yards. Can make a mess sometimes but not always. Sitting in the truck on a summer evening it really is an excellent calibre for those long-range crows (when I'm allowed to shoot them again!)

Farmer_J

I read that too, the Hornady 30 gr V Max is supposed to be very handy.
I too have heard this, and I have just put in for a .22 WMR over .17 purely for the extra knock down when we come across a fox. All shots are within 120 yd’s any way. With the HMR I’ve had a couple foxes need a follow up, not a fan of that so hopefully the WMR will edge it in my scenarios anyway.

Whitester

I would get the hmr if you need to take longer range shots . The noise can be an issue but it’s not horrific. I have never personally had an issue with ammo and found the round to be accurate out to 130 yards with out thinking about it. Meat damage was never an issue for me as o only take the saddle and back legs so body shot were the order of the day. As someone has already said they compliment each other but I wouldn’t be surprised if you left the other rifles at home once you get the hmr because they cover most bases.

Finch

The nature of your ground surface is another consideration. Of the rimfires, the HMR with 17 grn BTs is by far the least prone to ricochets. It will ricochet, any round will should conditions so conspire, and it can never be taken for granted that it won't, but it is vastly less susceptible than a .22 lr, whether shooting HVs or subs.

On my stony, cultivated ground nine out of ten .22 shots will produce a noisy whining ricochet, even after exiting a rabbit. This severely limits its use, especially during daylight.

Last edited:

hendrix's rifle

22wmr for me, regret selling it and keeping the hmr. Accurate, reliable, cheap to feed (11 quid a box of 50 instead of nearly 20 for the hmr) good for 150 easily, I'd limit to 100 on foxs unless head shooting them. Oh, and ammo from 25g (very similar performance to the hmr) to 50g

philip

Been through all the caliber’s over the yearsI’ve settled on ,the 22 LR 22 hornet and recently 17 hornet

JackD032

My ground is all rolling farmland. Had quite a few ricochet’s with the 22 last summer (safe back stops etc) but not a welcome occurrence. Adding a ballistic tip either HMR or WMR would help with this potentially.
Also the much flatter trajectory of these rounds would help with NV shooting.
Just need to decide which one to add to the cabinet now. Not totally sure why but I find myself leaning towards the WMR with the 30 gr V Max at the moment.

Gm81

My ground is all rolling farmland. Had quite a few ricochet’s with the 22 last summer (safe back stops etc) but not a welcome occurrence. Adding a ballistic tip either HMR or WMR would help with this potentially.
Also the much flatter trajectory of these rounds would help with NV shooting.
Just need to decide which one to add to the cabinet now. Not totally sure why but I find myself leaning towards the WMR with the 30 gr V Max at the moment.
I use my hmr a lot now. As you say the ricochet in the .22lr is a forethought always. I’ve yet to have my hmr do it.
I have just put a scope on it to “dial” as 9 mag was holding me back on the distance.
I was trying it off a bipod and with a rear bag and had two rabbits at 224m. It killed them both but I wouldn’t be able to head shoot at that range. But they werent smashed either. It’s a good tool in the right place. As is the .22lr. Hmr is cheap enough to buy and enjoy. Not silly money sat if you don’t use it. I will always have one now.

Whitester

There is also segmented rounds for the 22 lr now from cci which should cut down on the richocet factor. I was out on Friday at a mates shooting ground and the hedge rows were about 160 yards apart . I had to stalk in with the 22 lr and had a few ricochets. However even if I had the range and relative safety of the hmr some of the land was close to houses so the noise would have been an issue. The problem is you can’t have everything so you have to work within the limitations of the caljbrw you have . Unless you can be bothered to take out multiple rifles , which I can’t as like to travel as light as possible.

savdp

I found the 17hmr just does not work when the wind blows (even a little). While it is fantastic on a calm day, there are just not enough of those for me to justify it my cabinet any more - it just seemed to sit there. 22lr is not the latest or greatest, but is far more capable than most think it is. If you need more, look at reloading the centrefires, particular the 22hornet (it may be old, but it just works). I nice Anschutz in 22hornet would be money well spent.

Muir

I live in wide open country and the 17HMR has it's appeal as a rim fire. Unfortunately, the ammo is unreliable and so my three HMR's gather dust in favor of my 22WMRs I have found that when you come on the ammunition a WMR likes, it will always like it. (provided you don't destroy the accuracy every outing by cleaning) It has plenty of energy and reach for 150 yard kills. That said, I favor small CF cartridges like the 22 Hornet. I reload so the cost is minimal, but the performance leaves the previously mentioned rimfires in the dust. A final note is that you have a 223. Use it. Learn to load for it. (Lee Classic loader: Everything you need an a shoebox) Carry on.
Never abandon the 22LR.~Muir

JackD032

I live in wide open country and the 17HMR has it's appeal as a rim fire. Unfortunately, the ammo is unreliable and so my three HMR's gather dust in favor of my 22WMRs I have found that when you come on the ammunition a WMR likes, it will always like it. (provided you don't destroy the accuracy every outing by cleaning) It has plenty of energy and reach for 150 yard kills. That said, I favor small CF cartridges like the 22 Hornet. I reload so the cost is minimal, but the performance leaves the previously mentioned rimfires in the dust. A final note is that you have a 223. Use it. Learn to load for it. (Lee Classic loader: Everything you need an a shoebox) Carry on.
I was considering selling the 22 LR to get one of the other rim fires however the replies here have definitely convinced me otherwise.

I’m still not sure whether to go HMR or WMR but it’s a nice problem to have. For now I’ll keep knocking rabbits over with the 22 and foxes with the 223. When I retire in the not to distant future I might look into the wizardry that is reloading!

JackD032

Well I’ve just been watching videos about the Lee Classic loader and I’m seriously considering having a go. I thought reloading was far more technical than a hammer! Flippancy aside, I’m genuinely intrigued. I’ve got 32 spent Hornady 223 cases and the kit is £32 from sportsman gun centre. So powder and bullet heads from my rfd and I’m good to go. I reckon my next post will be in the reloading section!