Importing Scopes USA to UK Post Brexit

R8 Ultimate Carbon - Discover Now! >>>

Wardy97

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. I am wanting to purchase a day/night scope made in the US, get it delivered to my family out there, organise collection from them and delivery to me in the UK.

I am able to put it down as a gift to save duties (because they are willing to buy it for me ;) ) But I need to know:

1) What import duties I’ll have to pay on a gift around £625 + delivery
2) If there will be any tax to pay when it actually gets to the UK
3) Government HS codes for scopes - I am unsure if they go under opticals like binoculars or sporting goods?
4) Any other information I might be missing :/

I don’t very often purchase from abroad, let alone with all this going on... Brexit & COVID.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks!

Shabz

I’m not sure what the situation is now but in the past I’ve had trouble buying stuff from America because it had ‘tactical’ features. Reticles with hash marks or mildots being one thing. I’m saying this, but I actually think that arms embargo ended. I would definitely check though, you don’t want to get your family members in trouble.

Fadcode

I would allow for about 20% duty etc, then add on the couriers fee for collecting it, and that's only if it gets through Customs. I would also advise you/your friends not too put a low value on the item to avoid duty, because if you are unlucky and the Customs think you have undervalued it, you may never see it again. I would have a good read of the rules regarding importing goods from the USA on the HMRC site. Also check the courier you are using to make sure its covered on insurance as most of them have a rider in the small print that they will not be liable for goods that contain glass, lenses, etc.

Liveonce

Vat applies to all gifts from the USA of a value greater than £34.00. Then any import duty/customs fees/courier fees.

If you decide to declare the value below the £34 and the item gets lost or damaged then any compensation for the loss will be to the value you have declared.

Wardy97

Thanks all, I’ve got in touch with DHL to work out some finer details - will give an update once I have some kind of confirmation...

R8 Ultimate Carbon - Discover Now! >>>