Longer range target

bk

I know this is a stalking site but there are a few of you guys that punch paper also
On Sunday Im going to stretch my rifles legs a bit and have a day out to 500 yrds
Anyone got any recommendations? Ive shot gongs out to 300 before but that was summer and not January in a windy valley lol

bk

Its an organised range day with butts and not sure of the size of target, I think they are moa vbulls
Not sure whether to try and dial for windage or hold off

gmorrice96

for longer ranges I would assume holding off would be much more difficult. dialling would be best if you have a good idea of wind speed and ballistic data

Last edited:

RPA 6MM BR

Its an organised range day with butts and not sure of the size of target, I think they are moa vbulls
Not sure whether to try and dial for windage or hold off
Depends what kit you own? If you have a ballistic app and a wind meter then dialling would be my choice.

bk

I left me wind meter at work like an idiot but got Ballistic AE
Ive heard the wind can swirl quite badly lol

swarovski

500yds is too much to hold over bk, am sure you will have enough elevation in your scope to get you there,better count your clicks up and down,500 will be a doddle if wind is kind on the day, you will surprise yourself how well you can shoot at that range, have fun, atb swaro

Yorric

If the wind is swirling, you might as well just ignore it & guess the average side wind over the bullet flight path, then either dial in a windage obtained from ballistic data or hold off. --- Take your pick & enjoy!
If it is a gusting wind wait till there is a lull at your firing point to fire so you and your rifle aren't being knocked about. Gusts on you & your rifle make lots of difference to lateral grouping.
Don't ignore the wind & fight it & don't over think it or over compensate.

Ian

Deanandrew64

you be fine up at Thorpe Dan, given light winds and frost so wont affect you that much and you get two sighting shots so you will know after your first how much to allow or use the windage turret, cya in bottom car park about 7-45 am, Dean

Deanandrew64

also at Thorpe the wind is usually from right or left at the target end, theres a cross wind half way to add to the excitement, only way to learn to read the wind is to shoot in it, don't forget flask, sandwiches and toilet roll as there is no toilet facilities up there

bk

Nope, just left my wind meter at work lol
Dean, bbc are showing fog now for tomorrow morning. I hope it keeps away! Is Mick coming?

bewsher500

I have used my stalking rifle at 5 and 600m a few times now (.270 6x42, .300wm 10x42)

I only just got a scope with target turrets so previously I was only adjusting the elevation and keeping a note so I could dial straight back down to my 200yd zero

cheap ballistic app got me on the board

For wind I found it faster and easier to hold off to react to changes faster than constantly tweak the windage
Also meant I didn't have to keep a note of another change to get back to stalking zero

Deanandrew64

Hi Dan, forecast for ashbourne tomorrow is frosty, dry day with long periods od sunshine, no fog or cloud cover to worry about, -2 though, everyone is going, its a leek day as well so rco's are from our club as well

kennyc

500yds is too much to hold over bk, am sure you will have enough elevation in your scope to get you there,better count your clicks up and down,500 will be a doddle if wind is kind on the day, you will surprise yourself how well you can shoot at that range, have fun, atb swaro
just to be awkward, I often hold over for wind :p :cool:

Attachments