PARD 019 still the best cheap spotter?

pazmino

I'm looking for a cheap hand-held NV spotter after my trusty Pulsar Recon 870 bit the dust. Can't justify the price of thermal. I use the PARD 007 on my Minox scope, and like it a lot. Is the PARD 019 still the best cheap spotter out there? I was watching Bruce's review from 2019 and was surprised to learn that the screen resolution is lower than on the 007, which put me off a bit.

Any suggestions/ advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

I’ll have one for sale soon, I used mine to good effect mainly foxing, but is equally useful for rabbits. Fitted a mini picatinny rail on the base to attach a separate ir to push the distance out a bit & save the 019 battery.

@mealiejimmy Would you still recommend the 019 as the best cheap spotter, low-resolution screen notwithstanding? Thanks
The screen isnt really that low resolution , due to the diopter lens , its magnified , and has a huge visible screen area, with the right macro lens +2 or +4 there is very good clarity up to around 150 yards with on board IR.
Strapping a decent laser torch on , can get you double that distance.

The main issue I find with an 019 (I do use mine occasionally, but my thermal does a better spotting job) is the fiddly focus, on anything above x1 mag, you have to keep fine tuning the focus ring, which is right next to the mag ring, and with gloves......

Pard could do with an ugrade/new model to be honest , fixing some of the issues with the 019.
Theres a definite gap in the market for a medium range NV spotter for sensible money.

@mealiejimmy Would you still recommend the 019 as the best cheap spotter, low-resolution screen notwithstanding? Thanks
I would still recommend it.
It's better than any of the Pulsar spotters I had and better than any of the cheapo E Bay NV spotters I've used.
As has been said, the lack of dioptre adjustment may mean you'll need to fit an additional lens into the rubber eyecup to get the display in focus, and the main lens zoom and focus can be a bit fiddly - but optical magnification is always better than digital magnification and I don't think there are any other NV spotters available which have optical magnification.

Cheers

Bruce

I would still recommend it.
It's better than any of the Pulsar spotters I had and better than any of the cheapo E Bay NV spotters I've used.
As has been said, the lack of dioptre adjustment may mean you'll need to fit an additional lens into the rubber eyecup to get the display in focus, and the main lens zoom and focus can be a bit fiddly - but optical magnification is always better than digital magnification and I don't think there are any other NV spotters available which have optical magnification.

Cheers

Bruce
Thanks, much appreciated!

Once you’ve used thermal all nv spotters become naff
Not everyone has the money for a thermal spotter,and an NV spotter, although not as good as a thermal spotter, is far better than nothing
I've been using thermal spotters and scopes for over 5 years and I still keep a PARD 008 with a Sirius XTL illuminator in the truck to confirm what species a thermal target is, when it is not possible to be 100% sure purely with the thermal image.

Cheers

Bruce

Sorry mate ,don’t agree with that statement .Everyone is capable of saving up a grand these days .Being too tight to buy the right kit is an affliction of the messing classes .Buy right ,buy once save money for next right buy .
NV spotters seem to rely too much on eye shine and can’t penetrate loose foliage .
Ive used both mate before I bought and the difference is so profound in thermal ,as you’ve found out ,you won’t go back to NV spotter again .
Practice and time put in with thermal is what’s needed to identify at range .

Point 3
Get off your high horse ,clam down and chill,it’s just an opinion MATE .
Point 4 .OP only has to ask .Answer will be no but ask anyway .

Do you seriously believe that EVERYONE is capable of saving up a grand?
There are millions of people in this country for whom a grand could be put to far more important things than buying a thermal - like food, clothes rent, electricity, gas etc
Did you get to have LOADSAMONEY to buy thermals by being UPTONOGOOD?

Cheers

Bruce

Bollocks MATE .
If a man can afford a rifle he can save for a thermal or stick to daytime hunting .It’s only advice MATE take it or leave it and answer to your question ,no I’m a pillar of my community MATE .

Point 3
Get off your high horse ,clam down and chill,it’s just an opinion MATE .
Point 4 .OP only has to ask .Answer will be no but ask anyway .

Bollocks MATE .
If a man can afford a rifle he can save for a thermal or stick to daytime hunting .It’s only advice MATE take it or leave it and answer to your question ,no I’m a pillar of my community MATE .

You say it’s just an opinion but you seem dead-set against anyone holding a view that contradicts what you so firmly believe.

By all means say that you prefer using thermal to an NV spotter but there’s no need to be so militant about it.

Not sure what’s happened to SD recently but it seems that no one is allowed to express a contrary opinion to a select few members without being shot down in flames for it. It’s a sad state of affairs as the forum has a lot to offer but is spoilt by the aforementioned few.

Lol so wheres Bruce’s bollocking for taking me to task .
Im direct ,take it or leave it ,scroll on by but one thing won’t change and that’s me .
You boys have spent so long in a cliche it’s cringey ,scared to speak out of turn or upset the rest lol.
I say it as it is ,try it ,it’s refreshing not having to fit in with anyone .
Its just an opinion ,a forceful one granted but if it offends block me

Reactions: JTO
If I’m not entitled to reply to posts such as this -
Point 1 - If you are so flush, why don't you go and buy the OP a thermal spotter?
Point 2 - I don't know you from Adam - you're definitely NOT my mate

Bruce

for fear of being militant ,then we really do have a problem en masse with a pathetic outlook of entitlement .
Im the same off line as on any forum ,can many say the same .

Back