Paying for items in classifieds?

BeekeeperTom

Perhaps I have missed the information (I did search).

If I wish to purchase an item from a member of this site!
When it comes to paying there are obviously several safe methods, safe in terms of transmission of funds.
However! What recommendations exist to ensure you are not sending money for an item that does not exist or a user that evaporates?

I am sure 99.99% of folks here are honest (I like to think I am too).
However! Aside from meeting via the interweb, most folks do not know each other.

To the question!
What are the recommendations to ensure you are indeed buying an item that exists, from a reputable member?

Kjm041

I don’t think there are any safe methods. As said, check their history. Have they sold items on here and have a reputable presence since. A lot of it is good faith and if in doubt or it’s expensive then try and meet face to face

Lateral

How long have they been on the SD, how often do they post, are the posts mixed, or tend to be sales only ?

And, you can always post, asking for people to vouch for them !

Paypal but not as a friend, pay the extra 4%.

banus

good afternoon,most posters on here hold an fac so SHOULD be upfront and honest,i am not talking about traders that's your choice to make! but I have only had issues with 3 members on here, one with health problems two just dishonest but you get that any where. if in doubt do not buy.

Miki

<snip>
To the question!
What are the recommendations to ensure you are indeed buying an item that exists, from a reputable member?
None. There are no guarantees at all, it is 100% 'buyer beware' caveat emptor.
There is no financial back up or insurance for any 'private' sale.
@Fair Hill hit the nail on the head.

Most of the folk on here are honest and trustworthy, there is always a bad apple in every barrel, if you have any problems sent a PM to the moderators and they will help if they can.

cjm1066

I have brought and sold on here occasionally for a few years, to date 100% happy.

It is alas a risk, PayPal offers some protection.

Rusty Gate

Perhaps I have missed the information (I did search).

If I wish to purchase an item from a member of this site!
When it comes to paying there are obviously several safe methods, safe in terms of transmission of funds.
However! What recommendations exist to ensure you are not sending money for an item that does not exist or a user that evaporates?

I am sure 99.99% of folks here are honest (I like to think I am too).
However! Aside from meeting via the interweb, most folks do not know each other.

To the question!
PayPal, think there's a 2% handling charge to the person selling so just add it on to keep all happy. You can claim any issue as you normally would.

Cottis

I work on the basis that I only send money to strangers that I could afford to lose.

Would I send 40 quid for a couple of boxes of bullets from someone I don't know? Yep.

Would I send £1000 via friends and family payapl to someone I don't know? Not a chance.

If it is a good deal, it could be too good to be true. If it is a straight up high value good deal, it is probably worth getting in the car.

Over time though you will figure out who is honest and who has a good track record. In the meantime, it is buyer beware.

hairlesshunter

A feedback section for after sales but I usually look at how long the seller as been a member and what post count he or she as but then that doesn’t always work ☹

MAH

There are no guarantees at all, it is 100% 'buyer beware'
I agree
However, the site admin could help improve transparency of transactions by adding a feed back feature. There is already a reaction score (which is not indicative of good or bad, just reaction).
The site could log prompt sellers, buyers to record satisfaction feed back. A bit like Ebay, but a simple satisfied? Yes/no.
No discussion, no appeals, just a log of stats. The truth will always surface.

Just an idea. M.

Let's see how many likes the idea gets..... .

Oly

The site could log prompt sellers, buyers to record satisfaction feed back.
..... .
Agreed, one of the reasons I generally post to say that something has arrived safely too 👍

I should add I have been scammed once, on another forum, ended up in the small claims court and got my money back, but only because he was stupid and made an error. I had another (on here) try to pull a fast one on an item I sold (made out it wasn't as advertised and wanted his money back), later another member contacted me asking for his details as he didn't receive an item they'd bought from him.

But I've bought and sold lots since. You can try and protect yourself but it's hard. Just trust your gut and believe that most people are good...unless you can't afford to lose the money.

Last edited:

reloader54

I agree
However, the site admin could help improve transparency of transactions by adding a feed back feature. There is already a reaction score (which is not indicative of good or bad, just reaction).
The site could log prompt sellers, buyers to record satisfaction feed back. A bit like Ebay, but a simple satisfied? Yes/no.
No discussion, no appeals, just a log of stats. The truth will always surface.

Just an idea. M.

Let's see how many likes the idea gets..... .
I believe this has been mentioned / suggested previously, and is possibly open to abuse, grievances for many other reasons can and likely have been leveled at bona-fide sellers, on the flip side, its quite easy to falsify positive feedbacks just as it is on ebay. admin will no doubt be mare able to explain.

Fadcode

In these days of Internet trading, feedback itself is no guarantee of honesty and trustworthiness (what a long word that was), and as pointed out, sales reviews can be doctored either way, Paypal is probably your best bet, as they will at least act on your behalf to get you a refund, providing you haven't paid "family and Friends)

But like the old adage "you pays your money and you take your chances" I must say I have never been duped, intentionally, I have had a few items sent to the wrong address, but never lost money or goods on any of my dealings, so overall most people are honest, their is one thing to take into account, most carriers will not now deliver your goods personally tending to drop it at your door, take a picture to prove delivery, if you don't pick it up straight away there is the chance someone else will.

I had a special delivery this morning (saturday), the sender was told delivery could not be guaranteed, but it did get here, the Postman put it by the door, rang the bell and stood at the end of the path by the gate, until Mrs F, opened the door, and it got me thinking, I wonder how many people had handled the package from postage to delivery, the Postman wasn't wearing gloves etc, so their was a chance the package was carrying the virus. So beware of that.

For high value items, face to face is better, but only if you know the person is bona-fide, otherwise you could end up getting mugged, also get the phone number of the seller and his address before completing the transaction, and make sure you go to his address, take a photo of the location, especially if there is a car on the drive etc. and if possible get someone to go with you.
But for private sales remember "Caveat Emptor" "Let the buyer beware" which gives you little recourse for refunds.

Mike L

Having just started deer stalking I used the classifieds quite a few times when I joined, I am a great believer in second hand equipment :thumb:
EVERYBODY that I dealt with on here behaved like a gentleman during the transactions.

stalker.308

@Cottis has nailed it. Paypal friends and family for anything in the region of £40, after that has to be as a proper sale with commission through paypal. I have on a few occasions paid extra to cover the commission paypal take, easy to do, I just pay the amount via standard paypal, then get a screenshot of what the commission was and pay this bit via friends and family.

Just remember Paypal will not offer protection on firearms, part of their t&c's.