RWS Z lang .22lr

spready

Has anyone tried using RWS Z lang .22lr ammo? they are similar to the CCI cb longs? but are told they are abit more consistent and accurate?

enfieldspares

I've used both...but maybe three decades ago! At no more than twenty yards range.

From memory in my rifle, a BSA Martini, there was no accuracy difference.

The good bit:

In a LONG barrel rifle the powder is all burned. The report is quieter than a springer air rifle.

So, re the above, you get low noise shooting without need for any moderator.

They hit the target like a hammer. Again far more power than any s1 air rifle.

The bad bit:

It a solid bullet. It doesn't expand. It shoots clean through a squirrel.

It has ZERO "stopping" power and IMHO was less effective at "stopping" body shot squirrels than did my standard 12 ft/lbs BSA Airsporter Mk I .22 with Eley Wasp pellets.

So to sum up it's good for short range vermin IF you use well placed head shots NOT body shots.

Yes, it saves you buying a s1 air rifle, or indeed a 12 ft/lbs air rifle but it does kill any better and what I experienced not in fact as well.

Would I use the OP's combination a Z Lang or CB Long for garden squirrels, magpies, pigeons at twenty yard ranges?

No I'd use what I do now a 12 ft/lbs BSA .22 Scorpion T-10 PCP ten shot repeater air rifle.

Hope it helps. The ONLY benefit IMHO is it saves you buying a repeater, magazine, PCP or single shot springer air rifle.

But with that benefit is the handicap that it is a solid non-expanding bullet so it WILL shoot clean through.

Oh and it's not as accurate as a GOOD PCP air rifle...from memory.

Last edited:

Bavarianbrit

I use them all the time on magpies/crows usually off a known perching area at a measured 44 metres and they always drop to the shot, never had a runner yet. My understanding is that the cartridge was developed by RWS for basement target shooting at less than 10 metres range.
They cost strangely 8 Euros a pack in Germany and only 6 Euros a pack in Austria.
Never tried the CCIs though.

spready

Ive been using CB longs on and off for a while and had okish accuracy with a fair few flyers, taken a few rabbits round the farm yard. Just heard about the z lang range a wondered what peoples views are

spready

Yes the Cb longs have about as much power a 30ftlb fac air rifle , just not the downrange accuracy

Squirrelbasher

I've found rws z-langs to be much more accurate than cci CB longs. They are faster though, I chrono'd them at around 880fps if I remember right. All in all though, a good reduced velocity round. The best of its kind imo.