RWS Z lang .22lr

spready

Has anyone tried using RWS Z lang .22lr ammo? they are similar to the CCI cb longs? but are told they are abit more consistent and accurate?

I've used both...but maybe three decades ago! At no more than twenty yards range.

From memory in my rifle, a BSA Martini, there was no accuracy difference.

The good bit:

In a LONG barrel rifle the powder is all burned. The report is quieter than a springer air rifle.

So, re the above, you get low noise shooting without need for any moderator.

They hit the target like a hammer. Again far more power than any s1 air rifle.

The bad bit:

It a solid bullet. It doesn't expand. It shoots clean through a squirrel.

It has ZERO "stopping" power and IMHO was less effective at "stopping" body shot squirrels than did my standard 12 ft/lbs BSA Airsporter Mk I .22 with Eley Wasp pellets.

So to sum up it's good for short range vermin IF you use well placed head shots NOT body shots.

Yes, it saves you buying a s1 air rifle, or indeed a 12 ft/lbs air rifle but it does kill any better and what I experienced not in fact as well.

Would I use the OP's combination a Z Lang or CB Long for garden squirrels, magpies, pigeons at twenty yard ranges?

No I'd use what I do now a 12 ft/lbs BSA .22 Scorpion T-10 PCP ten shot repeater air rifle.

Hope it helps. The ONLY benefit IMHO is it saves you buying a repeater, magazine, PCP or single shot springer air rifle.

But with that benefit is the handicap that it is a solid non-expanding bullet so it WILL shoot clean through.

Oh and it's not as accurate as a GOOD PCP air rifle...from memory.

Last edited:
I use them all the time on magpies/crows usually off a known perching area at a measured 44 metres and they always drop to the shot, never had a runner yet. My understanding is that the cartridge was developed by RWS for basement target shooting at less than 10 metres range.
They cost strangely 8 Euros a pack in Germany and only 6 Euros a pack in Austria.
Never tried the CCIs though.

Ive been using CB longs on and off for a while and had okish accuracy with a fair few flyers, taken a few rabbits round the farm yard. Just heard about the z lang range a wondered what peoples views are

Yes the Cb longs have about as much power a 30ftlb fac air rifle , just not the downrange accuracy

I've found rws z-langs to be much more accurate than cci CB longs. They are faster though, I chrono'd them at around 880fps if I remember right. All in all though, a good reduced velocity round. The best of its kind imo.

I've used on the range. Incredibly quiet (I initially thought my rifle had failed to fire). Certainly accurate once you re-zero for very slow round (770 fps) over 25 yards. Won't cycle though a semi-auto so my rifle needed to be racked each time to expel the empty cartridge. Quite expensive compared to more standard sub sonic .22 (e.g. CCI Standard).
I can see a use for these around confined spaces (farm yard rats or pigeons, for example) but other than as a novelty, not much use for targets. But created a lot of interest at my gun club with everyone wanting to try them!

Z stands for Zimmer = room.
As @Bavarianbrit already said five years ago (!) they were designed for indoor practice shooting.
They actually do not have a powder charge at all. The bullet is accelerated by the primer charge only.

But also promoted as a quiet, low risk vermin round. And why this for indoor shooting when more standard sub sonics are equally viable (and much cheaper)?

I think perhaps Z Langs were on the market long before subs were developed and marketed. My stash is getting depleted so I might try subs later.

I'd rather use an air rifle to be honest. I was not over enthused with them to be honest.
I think if they were the answer they would be available everywhere and very popular.

Made a muck up of the reply 🤦‍♂️, but your rifle needs to like these reduced velocity offerings. Some do and some don’t. My anschutz shoots cb longs fairly well and z langs very well, my cz on the other hand hates them. As you say SD, mostly better off with an air rifle. I have used them to good effect though.

Attachments

• 6503D7F3-A469-4913-B5A5-EAAC6E2CF693.jpeg
    6503D7F3-A469-4913-B5A5-EAAC6E2CF693.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 12
Back