Schmidt & Bender 8 x 56 mm

I have one, very good scopes for the money, although I would say my Swarovski 8x50 pips it slightly. You see a lot of S&B secondhand for around £300-£350.

Only concern is what the UK warranty is like these days, I guess somewhere like Uttings or Sportsman would sort you out.

Rob, the 8x56 is a great low light scope I had one a good few years ago, it really depends on your use for it. I got fed up with the fixed magnification on it so sold my one on and got an S&B 3x12x50 better in my eyes, then traded that in for a swaro Z6i 5x30x50 still have that on my rifle.
Regards,
Martin.

Thanks gents.

I actually have an old Swarovski: AV 4-12x50 L” Habicht. I'm not sure on the accuracy but maybe I'm best putting that on the .243.... I'm just not sure how accurate it is, or whether it works properly. I've no reason to think it shouldn't and seems very good quality. Hmm, decisions decisions.

Regards,
Rob

Rob
They are good scopes but shop around you may get a better deal also if your going to buy from uttings always check online for voucher codes as I saved another 40 off my last order with a discount code they have them all the time when you spend 100 save 10 etc or 10% off.

Rob,

If you have doubts on your Swaro, why not send it back for a free service? If it’s an old one it should have a lifetime warranty.

I have used one of these scopes for the last five years and they appeal to me because I like to keep things simple. No fiddling with zoom or ballistic turrets, just a clear view first time. If I was shooting at over 200m or on driven days I would use something else but I don’t. I’m a fan - simple, clear and, in my experience, reliable

I bought one off a member about a year ago and put in on a 270. Absolutely no complaints what so ever. I would suggest getting the Swaro checked/serviced though. Have had one mounted on a 25.06 for about 10 years and its never missed a beat. In fact its getting taken out for an armed walk tomorrow !

I have one and have used it in woodland and on the hill. I can safely say that I am over the moon with mine. It feels solid and the glass is excellent or at least more than good enough.

The only downside I would say is that in woodland x8 can be a wee bit powerful to acquire targets

I have one on my 308 and also one on my 243, I think there great, clear as a bell and in low light really come in to there own. You would have to spend a lot of money to buy better in my opinion and for the minuscule improvement you may get not worth it

S&B superb for the money. When i got one i was told by a stalker it wasn't as good as his as it's Hungarian, bottom line £450 offers great value for money.

I have a S&B 8x56 on my go to workhorse rifle. It's tough and practical. I like the reticle which is quite heavy. It's not laminated and I can't wind it down to take close range shots, but otherwise it's superb.

Good scopes I have two. You'll find S/H one's going for around £300/350 on this site and Guntrader.
No need to worry about warranties, S&B have extremely long ones, as do Swarovski, around thiry/forty years and you can get them serviced FOC as long as no damaged/wear & tear parts need replacing.
As far as me eyes allow, I can't tell any difference between German & Hungarian made 8x56 scopes.

Thanks folks. I think I'll buy one when my shooting funds recuperate a little...I'll probably keep my eyes peeled for a second hand scope.

Cheers
Rob

Thanks folks. I think I'll buy one when my shooting funds recuperate a little...I'll probably keep my eyes peeled for a second hand scope.

Macleods of Tain advertise on, and so support, this forum so why not give them a bell and see if you would keep an eye out for a decent second hand scope for you? They have always had an excellent reputation for second hand optics. In my view you don't get better value than buying good glass second hand as should you ever wish to sell it you will almost certainly get back what you paid for it. You simply can't go wrong owning top notch glass and it not costing you anything.

As far as me eyes allow, I can't tell any difference between German & Hungarian made 8x56 scopes.
[/QUOTE]
+1 and neither can the deer !

Back