So . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

enfieldspares

I'm saying nowt. The Court ruling is about whether you can withdraw from something before the actual matter in hand is signed on the dotted line. It's no different (other than in Scotland) than when doing a conveyance. We're the buyer as it were, so regardless of what the seller (the other 27 EU States) may wish or want it's the buyer that can withdraw unilaterally.

finnbear270

I'm saying nowt. The Court ruling is about whether you can withdraw from something before the actual matter in hand is signed on the dotted line. It's no different (other than in Scotland) than when doing a conveyance. We're the buyer as it were, so regardless of what the seller (the other 27 EU States) may wish or want it's the buyer that can withdraw unilaterally.
So the ACTUAL Parliamentary instituted vote and it's result means now't?

enfieldspares

So the ACTUAL Parliamentary instituted vote and it's result means now't?
It's totally a different thing. As said if you, the Missus, the kids decide to buy something or do something that's a totally different thing from what then happens between you and the person that's selling the thing or providing that thing. Like a conveyance.

Or going to the Game Fair.

If you get halfway there, or even in the traffic queue outside until you reach the pay booths and buy the ticket you can change your mind and the game fair organisers can't force you to still go ahead with what you originally decided to do when you first set off. That's all that the Court has said. The Referendum result is irrelevant to that Court decision.

What you've agreed internally is irrelevant to your dealings with any external third party. So yes all that the Court decision affirms is that the UK can withdraw from Article 50 without the need for consent from the other EU 27.

Ray7756

Doesnt matter what anyone says or wants, the referendum was voted and the result was we WILL leave the EU, the law says majority rules 52% is a majority, so Mrs May or any of her Ilk has no choice but to follow the law and get us out, its the same for the SNP fishwife just cos you dont like the result does not change the result
So stop faffing about and get us out of the EU, if they wont do a deal no problem, just tell them to faff of and stop paying into their coffers, that will get their attention and they will soon want a deal,,,,,,,, stop paying them and get us out
Rant over for the moment
Ray

plonker

Maybe we could have a more informed referendum this time around, so folk actually knew what they were voting for. Either that, or make sure the NHS does get an extra £350m a week funding!
I knew what i was voting for,it was to be free of the eu control plain and simple.
No racist or uninformed voter here just a hard working peasant who thought it was time we as a country made all our own decisions.

Woodsmoke

I think we should just call the EUs bluff and do nothing. Let the onus be on them to offer us a deal, rather than our useless shower of self-serving morons embarrass themselves and us any longer. And Northern Ireland? Well, why not just let them cut loose too? We'll soon find out who's getting the better end of the deal by their respective reactions . . . .

mealiejimmy

I voted to remain in the EU and if there was another referendum i'd vote the same way again - and this time, given that the public now see more of the consequences and difficulties of extracting ourselves from the EU without committing economic suicide, there's a very good chance that Remain would would win.
I also voted to remain in the UK in the Scottish Independence referendum of 2014 and, if there was another referendum I'm sure the result would be the same and by an even bigger majority.
Scots, having sent the complete shambles of Brexit won't take long to figure out that same or even worse would happen if Scotland voted to leave the UK so will simply reject the proposal

Cheers

Bruce

cyberstag

If the government ignores the will of the people and does anything contrary to their expressed wish as asked for in the referendum instigated by the gov. then they would all be guilty of treason. If the gov do not deliver Brexit (preferably without any negotiations ) I would expect mass demonstrations in the streets. If we do not demonstrate vociferously we deserve everything we will get for being absolute wimps.

finnbear270

If we got to the stage of needing demonstrations, ................................................................................................ FFS.

Sheprador1973

Seems a lot of leavers now pooping their pants over this. Tbh & regardless of how I voted...we were presented with an ideology. Vote in or out. No details. There was no policy presented or details of how it would work. I have to agree with Bruce...the original referendum was a joke vote and seems very few knew what in reality they'd be voting for. You can say what you THINK you were voting for all you like but makes no difference. If we leave the EU but chained to them because we cannot negotiate a better deal then thats what you voted for...and what you'll get. Along with all those remainers that may have seen this coming (not through superior understanding...but perhaps exercising more caution). Personally, and its just opinion, I think another referendum or general election is the only way to sort this now (same thing I guess). BUT with a more informed general public. Just my £0.02...

Reactions: 75
Status
Not open for further replies.