Vets on here? Spayed bitch query

sauer

Hi folks not deer related

I have 7yr old lab bitch, spayed at 2.5/ 3 yrs ago

Doing bit of grouse flanking and lads young dog interested in my bitch .... usual comments of should t brought that dog she’s coming into season ..... I replied she’s spayed ...
Apparently this lads vet says spaying does not get rid of the “smell” of season

I’ve never heard this before .... any truths in this or just a young randy dog trying to hump anything ?

Paul

Hell Toupee

If the all of both ovaries have been removed then she won't be cycling at all, so no 'smell'. There is a small chance that a tiny piece of ovary could remain, which is unlikely to cause problems (if you are really unlucky you could end up with some issues but this is rare), but may result in some cycling and possible smell.
All things considered its most likely a randy dog - as Millerich said.

williamwansbeck

Had a Slovack roughhaired bitch was spayed at 6 yrs for medical reasons,was beating on a local shoot and as normal a black lab( cock of the walk) tried to hump her but only once as she took a hold and shook the sh:t out of him.

James0586

Randy dog. There shouldn’t be an issue if the operation was a success. No issues previously?

Skietindiekop

... usual comments of should t brought that dog she’s coming into season ..... I replied she’s spayed ...

Obviously they forget.......
‘A bitch is a nuisance twice a year but a dog is a nuisance all year ‘

sauer

No issues previously
Dog wouldn’t look at her in back of Landy,
Only on exiting and first minute or so standing about
And no other dogs bothering her ....

Me thinks just a randy young dog

Scapegoat

My lab was spayed at about a year old. Every so often she becomes a femme fatale for all sorts of dogs, but especially youngsters. She’s a steady girl, so simply sits down, but it has led to one or two terse conversations, especially with one woman with a labradoodle that has become a real nuisance and git quite aggressively randy in two feet of water when I was training her.

sauer

Mmmmmmm

So.....

Is there different techniques of spaying a bitch ?

One where ovaries are left in and something

“Tied” or cut ......

A stupid question but I’m no vet and when lad said that he was told this by a vet it got me wondering

Paul

Millerich

If the ovaries, one ovary or even a portion of ovary was left in they’d continue to come into season every six months, or whatever their natural interval was.

johngryphon

My old dog always used to hump my bosses dog on meeting...bosses dog had no ovaries as he was a nutted dog.

Btw my boss a surgeon hated this peasants mongrel boofing his beaut well bred thing ha ha.

Dogs will hump a goat if they need to,speyed bitches dont leave mating scents.

willowbank

I would like to pass on the experience I had with both my lab bitches, I had intended to take a litter from each of them and after have them spayed. Sisters aged 3.5 yrs BOTH sufferered Pyometra and had to have emergency hysterectomy ops within 30 days of each other. The vets bill ran well into four figures, thankfully they both survived. A picking up buddy also has, this year, had the same thing happen to his lab and again a huge vets bill.

Take this as a warning if you don’t breed they must be spayed or you might not be so lucky and lose your dog.

Willowbank.

Uncle Norm

I would like to pass on the experience I had with both my lab bitches, I had intended to take a litter from each of them and after have them spayed. Sisters aged 3.5 yrs BOTH sufferered Pyometra and had to have emergency hysterectomy ops within 30 days of each other. The vets bill ran well into four figures, thankfully they both survived. A picking up buddy also has, this year, had the same thing happen to his lab and again a huge vets bill.

Take this as a warning if you don’t breed they must be spayed or you might not be so lucky and lose your dog.

Willowbank.
Good advice :thumb:. Same experience here. My bitch got very poorly very quickly too. Good vet, emergency surgery, dent in my wallet but worth every penny as she survived and remains fit & well to this day.

arron

Could also be , just possibly, that she may have a urinary infection , same thing happend to my bitch , took à sample of urine to vets and got it treated, just a thought !!

wildfowler.250

Mmmmmmm

So.....

Is there different techniques of spaying a bitch ?

One where ovaries are left in and something

“Tied” or cut ......

A stupid question but I’m no vet and when lad said that he was told this by a vet it got me wondering

Paul
You can either do a ‘standard’ spey where you have a mid abdomen incision and remove both ovaries and uterus as one piece. Or you can have keyhole/laparoscopic procedure and just remove the ovaries. Keyhole generally being more expensive so most folk just go for a standard spey.