Which Lansky stones do I buy?

Sans Culottes

I have settled , rightly or wrongly, on the Lansky guided system to sharpen my knives. I have nothing special or exotic, but I do like a good sharp knife. The decision to invest is prompted by the purchase of an Eka switchblade at BSS.

Do I buy a diamond set and then some finer stones to hone the edges, or do I go for the "normal" stones and add in a diamond stone for where the blades need reprofiling (some have been sharpened on a grinding wheel and need a new bevel setting).

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

I like my Lansky. it's served me well but some folks don't like 'em. I know.

I have a few stones for mine and unless you're creating a new edge, I don't think you need any that are really coarse. One stone I find really useful is the leather strop. So not a stone at all but set into one of the standard holders. Once you've put an edge back on then use the same angle and the strop to put a real mirror finish on the blade.

I use the 5 stone standard set and can put a razor edge on anything. I do use a separate stop to finish as I already had it.

I use the 5 stone standard set and can put a razor edge on anything. I do use a separate stop to finish as I already had it.
Me too. Love my Lansky. I touch up after every use but my standard Mora knife will do several deer each. I cannot work with blunt knives! Even the kitchen knives are kept very sharp with it!

I have one, it has the three stones. Rough, medium and very fine, they have sharpened everything I have wanted sharp.

I have the basic 3 stones and a strop but plan to add a diamond stone for re profiling.

Last edited:
If you can get the three stone diamond stone set off the bat there shouldn't be a need to buy any other stones. Maybe a super fine stone if you want to add anything. The diamond stones are good for the harder steels like D2.

Basic three stones does everything I need as long as you keep on top of edge maintenance, you will not need anything else.

Only trouble is, you become a "knife edge snob" where you must have every blade in the house sharp enough to shave the belly of a mouse without it feeling a thing ha ha ha. I have just sharpened my main kitchen knife and it has just literally slipped through the onions and peppers as I was making dinner. Sooooo satisfying.

I have used my lansky sharpener with diamond stones for years now and I wouldn’t use a knive in the field unless I can shave hairs off the back of my hand.

Thanks guys

Basic stones and a leather strop ordered.

Will add a diamond stone if need more cutting power needed to sort out any edges I may have screwed up previously.

Back