.270 love it or hate it.

New Avon Arms

wadashot

I have a Tikka .243 and a Styre .270 and i love both of these rifles to bits. They are both moderated and shoot spot on, both with partisan 100 gr and 130 gr and both calibers are readily available at 99.9 % of gunshops.
Ok, you can argue that the .270 is a bit noisy and kicks a bit, but like others have mentioned a moderator soon calms it down and makes it a pleasure to use, and yes i know, not everybody likes to moderate their gun.

You can call me old fashioned if you like but i have never felt the urge or interest to go trying out any other calibres as i am a strong believer in that if your bit of kit does the job, why experiment ?.

Here`s something else, just how dead does a deer or fox need to be? surely a .270 cal will see to anything that we have got in this country, but having said that, i am not up to date with a lot of calibers anyway.

wadshot.

paul k

john.d.m said:
I have used 270, and it`s not for me,as I probably a bit old fashioned as I like a good sized lump of lead going at a moderate speed, not whizz bang fast light bullets (except in my 22-250 :lol: )
just prefer my 30-06 which does everything it says on the box,large or small animals, long way off or close up.
There is too much "which calibre is best" etc, it`s what calibre suits you, fits you and you are happy with, and my 30-06 ticks all those boxes for me, and have to say alot of clients used it, and they loved it too, probably because it was a quality rifle, which also makes a lot of difference too.
Also, how can you improve on something that was deisgned in 1905 and is still going strong.
Beat that all you lovers of new fandangled calibres ! :p :p
AND, when someone makes a moderator which doesn`t absolutley ruin the looks of a rifle, sound like a bean can when it touches a branch etc,I may consider getting one.

I agree with a lot of this, although I have a .270 for bigger deer and a .243 for most of my stalking. I have used j.d.m.'s 30-06 and dropped a large boar stone dead off sticks at considerably in excess of 100 yards with a single shot. It was noticeably more shoulder friendly than my .270 and I couldn't fault it.

I have a variation to fit moderators to both rifles but I just can't bring myself to ruin the looks of my beautiful Steyr Mannlicher .243 by sticking a mod on it. I will probably sell both and get a synthetic stocked 6.5 x 55 and solve both issues at once.

Thar

Bloody hell John how old are you :eek: the 270 is nearly 85 years old hardly a new calibre. :lol: :lol:

Best rgds

Thar

popplecop

I still shoot a Winchester Model 54 made in 1926, this was my Fathers rifle. I've had other 270s also. I don't understand too much recoil, I've never had had any problem with the .270 Win. With a Ruger No. 1 Sporter I have taken an elk, mule deer, whitetails and several antelope. I plan on hunting with Dad's Model 54 next season, than pass it on to my son. Great caliber.

MacNab

.270 isn't it time this calibre was flushed down the toilet as far as deer hunting in the UK is concerned? It's a bit like going salmon fishing with a 16' Bruce & Walker Cairngorm - yes it will kill a salmon, but what an unnecessary misery to fish with

Regards

MacNab

MarkH

What is all this recoil rubbish.# :mad:
If you are developing flinch with something like a 270 you need to go and do three things.

1. Reassess how you hold a rifle, is it properly into your shoulder?

2. Your rifle does not fit you properly not much of a problem with a light recoiling rifle like a 308,30-06 or 270.

3. Your brain has been screwed with by lots of people saying its a hard recoiling rifle so you develope a flinch expectiing to get wacked. Most likely cause.

I shoot regularly some hard recoiling rifles and with good technique, gun fit and mental attitude even the 458 Lott with 70 ft/Ibs of recoil is not a problem ( you just dont shoot it 20 times in a session)
Because of caliber limitation in the UK common practice is to think that a 243 is a big caliber and 308 is very big. So in summary forget all this recoil stuff, the physics does not stand up or else stick to 22 rimfire.

MacNab

If you are going to commit the 270 to the toilet would you please include all 243's, synthetic stocks, S/S barrels, moderators etc. This way we can stick with the trusty 375 H+H in fine walnut which will kill anything, anywhere with a higher margin of certainty :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bah Humbug

Mark

Thar

MarkH said:
If you are developing flinch with something like a 270 you need to go and do three things.

1. Reassess how you hold a rifle, is it properly into your shoulder?

2. Your rifle does not fit you properly not much of a problem with a light recoiling rifle like a 308,30-06 or 270.

3. Your brain has been screwed with by lots of people saying its a hard recoiling rifle so you develope a flinch expectiing to get wacked. Most likely cause.

I shoot regularly some hard recoiling rifles and with good technique, gun fit and mental attitude even the 458 Lott with 70 ft/Ibs of recoil is not a problem ( you just dont shoot it 20 times in a session)
Because of caliber limitation in the UK common practice is to think that a 243 is a big caliber and 308 is very big. So in summary forget all this recoil stuff, the physics does not stand up or else stick to 22 rimfire.

MacNab

If you are going to commit the 270 to the toilet would you please include all 243's, synthetic stocks, S/S barrels, moderators etc. This way we can stick with the trusty 375 H+H in fine walnut which will kill anything, anywhere with a higher margin of certainty :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bah Humbug

Mark

Apart form the synthetic stocks/sainless steel bit I totally agree with your post mark.

As the Aussies say "for feck sake harden up man" :evil: can't handle the recol of a 270 are you a girl. :D :D :D

Best rgds

Thar

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Whats all this Bo--ocks about flushing down the toilet of a 270. Its a sound calibre like many others discussed on this site. Its prooven itself over a long period of time, and I agree with Mark and Thar, cant handle the recoil, stick with air rifles and rimfire 22.

Must admit though I like my 375, it has stopped anything I have pointed it at, including Moose, Cape Buffalo and Elephant.

You cant have enough gun !!!

stone

what is wrong with a moderated .375 HH?
Before markH scraps all those mods and turns them into a target to shoot his .458 lott at

MarkH

Stone

what is wrong with a moderated .375 HH?
Before markH scraps all those mods and turns them into a target to shoot his .458 lott at

The same reason you dont put a bipod on your shotgun (I hope) :D :D

Mark

MarkH

Good thinking my man. Some things in life just dont benefit from fiddling with anymore :D

MacNab

MarkH said:
MacNab

Bah Humbug

Mark

Dear Humbug

I'd have absolutley no hesitation in flushing the .243 along with the .270. It's place in the pantheon of most popular calibre in the UK is entirley artificial placed there by a bit of nonsense English legislation re Roe Deer. It is neither one thing (not flat compared to .22 centrefires) nor the other (pish knock down energy on big deer) so why bother? Neither calibre is very good in the one rifle one bullet category for everything...therefor into Room 101 they should go as quickly as possible.

I don't know of a single serious rifleman now who shoots deer and vermin year round in all weathers and above 100 yards who would choose a good piece of 'nut' (how apt) over stainless synthetic.

ATB

MacNab

stone

hi Macnab
please could you clarify what a single serious rifleman is just to see if i fit into this catergory as i shoot deer,vermin and predators all year round
yours kindly stone

Beowulf

I don't think I'm a 'single serious rifleman' due to the fact that most of my post are rather silly and are complete nonsense and I'm married! :lol:

MacNab

stag1933 said:
Crikey Beo.
You are talking as much crap as MacNab.
Happy New Year to all Nutters anyway !!!

Stag

Hey we are flushing things down toilets - crap is entirely appropriate in context :lol:

I only know, lets see 1, 2, 3......12 serious riflemen (level 2 witnesses, professional stalkers, deer managers and foxers some attached and some single) and they all shoot s/s mostly customized Remmington 700s and a few built by Callum Ferguson or Border Barrels. So my statement is absolutely correct if you read it literally :lol:

On the other hand through the DBS and the various roving syndicates I run I know lots of keen amateurs like me. There is still a population of nutters among the plastic population. The key difference, it seems to me, is an age thing. There is a legacy of nutters, but all the people I have seen in the last four years coming into the sport join the plastic population.

It's a bit like going to a shoot. SBS will usually be wielded by people over 70, farmers from Yorkshire or people posh enough to appear in Faces in the Field. The rest of us will have an O/U and the swarthy, very well dressed guy weilding the semi-auto will be from just outside Millan :lol: :lol:

Over time I suggest to you the wooden stocked rifle will eventualy go the way of the SBS; it's already happening. However, in the great scheme of things it's not really worth getting that excited about. If you want to shoot with something undoubtedly beautiful, but equally hydroscopic good luck to you.

Speaking of which best wishes to all nutters and the plastic population for 2008

MacNab

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Dear MacNab,

I have to inform you that I am afraid to say that I have slipped outside of your parameters. I shoot (several) SBS shotguns, my rifles all have wooden stocks and I am under 70, not a Yorkshire farmer and definitely not posh. I also shoot all year round.

You must stop putting people into generic groups, you are starting to sound just like Bradley ;)

You may now say something unpleasant about me.

John

MacNab

JAYB said:
Dear MacNab,

I have to inform you that I am afraid to say that I have slipped outside of your parameters. I shoot (several) SBS shotguns, my rifles all have wooden stocks and I am under 70, not a Yorkshire farmer and definitely not posh. I also shoot all year round.

You must stop putting people into generic groups, you are starting to sound just like Bradley ;)

You may now say something unpleasant about me.

John

JAYB, I promise I didn't deliberately miss you out :lol: :lol: and I'm not sure why you think I would want to say something unpleasant about you or anyone on this board is it some sort of initiation ritual? :) :)

ATB for 2008

Regards

MacNab

ps Bradley?

Beowulf

I say Stag old bean. Saying that I'm talking crap is a bit rich when you consider that yet again this is a pointless thread about who has the best calibre/rifle/bullet.
If it is crap I'm talking at least its spontaneous, light hearted and original. I'm not trying to prove that my rifle is better than anyone elses or that I can shoot better. These discussion have been done to death!
But just so I'm not the odd one out, I have a 243 and a 308 and I'll be glad to get shot of both and have my Carl Gustaf back in 6.5x55.

BRACES of Bristol - Dark Fox Package, Mauser M12, LIEMKE Thermal Scope, Wildcat Mod