Bucket list hunt?

Please do us a write-up when you get back. Sounds really exciting.

Kind regards,

Carl
I will and also will try and film as much as possible of the journey, I did do one of New Zealand but that was with the rifle this should be as good and tags are not expensive but there is a good head of bear and a real good chance from what people are saying so fingers crossed, just to get out and see one will be something, let alone managaing to fulfill the dream and get to eat one will be even better.

Alaska Yukon or Kamchatka moose

Desert Bighorn sheep

Lord Derby Eland in Cameroon or CAR

Markhor in Tajikistan or Pakistan

Bezoar ibex in Turkey

Elephant bull tracking in Northern Namibia

I am going DIY so should be real interesting, spot stalks and saddle hunting which I have made, lightweight with a climbing rope and prusiks that I can pack light gives an added extra to hunt. I will find the berry patches and areas the bears like and hopefully fingers crossed. I made my own bow and quiver so it will be nice to take something with what I have made
I have a hunting buddy over in VT.
Apple orchards are meant to be great hotspots for bears when the apples ripen up, if you are hunting in the Southern part of the state.

I am going DIY so should be real interesting, spot stalks and saddle hunting which I have made, lightweight with a climbing rope and prusiks that I can pack light gives an added extra to hunt. I will find the berry patches and areas the bears like and hopefully fingers crossed. I made my own bow and quiver so it will be nice to take something with what I have made
Good on for doing DIY in the states, and I look forward to seeing the film, I started to try and film my hunts over there but gave up, in my case I just thought I might miss a golden opportunity whilst farting around with a camera.
Cook the bear well:)
Cheers
Richard

Good on for doing DIY in the states, and I look forward to seeing the film, I started to try and film my hunts over there but gave up, in my case I just thought I might miss a golden opportunity whilst farting around with a camera.
Cook the bear well:)
Cheers
Richard
It's a no brainer really, hunting licence two deer archery tag and one black bear just short of $200 then flights and food and car hire to get me out to where i want to be. worth the shot at getting out there and having a crack and the adventure. If I am successful I will definitely cook it properly, due to trich but it is supposed to be real tasty after eating nuts and berry's.

It's a no brainer really, hunting licence two deer archery tag and one black bear just short of $200 then flights and food and car hire to get me out to where i want to be. worth the shot at getting out there and having a crack and the adventure. If I am successful I will definitely cook it properly, due to trich but it is supposed to be real tasty after eating nuts and berry's.
I have tasted black bear, and I really liked it, no idea what it had been eating as I didn't shoot it, but I would eat it again at a drop of a hat.
But you can't beat Pronghorn for taste.
Assuming you get one, are going to get the cape shipped home?
Cheers
Richard

I have tasted black bear, and I really liked it, no idea what it had been eating as I didn't shoot it, but I would eat it again at a drop of a hat.
Cheers
Richard
oh yes I would want to keep the capes of anything I manage to get I did the same in NZ for my Thar and chamois and red,regards wayne

I have so much I want to do in the UK before I look abroad, but I have recently bit the bullet on fishing and started going on fishing holidays - first was to take my Dad to Panama for his 60th where we got stuck in to some great inshore fishing and I caught my first Cubera and Rooster. Now planning another to Madagascar to catch some monsters!

In terms of shooting, I still need a Sika to complete the 6 species - preferably a stag as I have good representatives of our other species. A red stag from Scotland in the hills with a garron to take it off and I hear the goose shooting up there can be incredible - then I guess a UK boar, I have tried and failed.

As for overseas shooting, the only thing that appeals is driven boar in Europe somewhere. Bizarrely I have no interest in going to Africa etc to shoot, but never say never.

I have so much I want to do in the UK before I look abroad, but I have recently bit the bullet on fishing and started going on fishing holidays - first was to take my Dad to Panama for his 60th where we got stuck in to some great inshore fishing and I caught my first Cubera and Rooster. Now planning another to Madagascar to catch some monsters!.

Exmouth in Western Australia is supposed to be the place to catch big rays, the problem being hooking one small enough to land, so I'm told.

Sheep, goats and moose, you probably need to start applying now and build some points, depending upon which state of course.
I would love to hunt sheep, but as a non resident I'm getting too old now!
Cheers
Richard
You know what I’d like to do?
I’d like to volunteer as an all round helper for a hunter who has already drawn a great tag; to be a spotter, a packer-inner, a packer-outer etc.
I think some of the best hunts are a team effort. Some resident hunters that have waited a lifetime to draw a bighorn tag probably don’t get to hunt the way they would like to because they can’t afford to pay an outfitter and their friends aren’t keen on taking 10days off work to help out. I bet there’s loads of working class guys that pass up hunts/opportunities because they can’t pack out a big elk on their own or they don’t have confidence to camp out on a mountain for days on end looking for sheep/goats on their own.
I’d get more from being there as part of the team than I would just pulling the trigger.
Perhaps I should put that on my bucket list.

I’d like to volunteer as an all round helper for a hunter who has already drawn a great tag; to be a spotter, a packer-inner, a packer-outer etc.
I think some of the best hunts are a team effort. Some resident hunters that have waited a lifetime to draw a bighorn tag probably don’t get to hunt the way they would like to because they can’t afford to pay an outfitter and their friends aren’t keen on taking 10days off work to help out. I bet there’s loads of working class guys that pass up hunts/opportunities because they can’t pack out a big elk on their own or they don’t have confidence to camp out on a mountain for days on end looking for sheep/goats on their own.
I’d get more from being there as part of the team than I would just pulling the trigger.
Tag along with me next year I need someone to drag out an elk for me lol

Take a look at this, I think I posted it before but its superb
In Montana you can offer your services as a packer, and I can understand what you mean being part of a hunt, too be honest I would have struggled to have got my 2 Elk out without help, the first time I had 3 friends, it was a grunt but we did it, not before a friend stopped a hunter on a horse and offered him $100 to take his pack back to camp, he refused!
Last year was the toughest, 2 of us, 14 miles in total up and down a mountain, we were fecked!
Cheers
Richard

Cheers
Richard
My pronghorn was nothing special, I tried to do a steak & kidney pie with it = it tasted shieit.
BB

oh yes I would want to keep the capes of anything I manage to get I did the same in NZ for my Thar and chamois and red,regards wayne
remember that bear fall under CITES rules, so be prepared for a little bit of extra paperwork for any exports.

As to the meat, I would recommend cold smoking a ham just like a pork butt. Marinate in apple cider overnight, then onto the smoker until internal temp is 180 or greater. Cool the slice and serve on a charcuterie platter with a nice cheese.

Tag along with me next year I need someone to drag out an elk for me lol
I wish I could drag an elk!
I’m working on my fitness this year and trying to get into better shape before I start offering to help people out. I started off really well in January then got ill which set me back. Too much work, not enough sleep!

Whereabouts are you going to be hunting elk?

I think colarado, good numbers of bear as well again it will be with the bow DIY no way of dragging an elk its just taking the hanches front legs and the rest of the meat out in stages

Back