How to fur prep UK

EssexBigMac

I recently had a fantastic fox 🦊 with a beautiful winter coat. Initially I thought taxidermy and then the Wife mentioned why can’t we make it something to preserve its beauty rather than just get rid (rug, scarf, hat etc). I called a few taxidermy up and down the country there was one in the south west who said before Brexit it would of been easy send to Belgium for £20 pay the fee and get back in a couple of weeks. However as no one conducts this process in the UK it’s not going to happen.
Just thought I’d ask if anyone knows anyone or if someone fancied learning for a potential lockdown business opportunity as must be a small demand for deer rugs, fashion etc

I recently had a fantastic fox 🦊 with a beautiful winter coat. Initially I thought taxidermy and then the Wife mentioned why can’t we make it something to preserve its beauty rather than just get rid (rug, scarf, hat etc). I called a few taxidermy up and down the country there was one in the south west who said before Brexit it would of been easy send to Belgium for £20 pay the fee and get back in a couple of weeks. However as no one conducts this process in the UK it’s not going to happen.
Just thought I’d ask if anyone knows anyone or if someone fancied learning for a potential lockdown business opportunity as must be a small demand for deer rugs, fashion etc
Get yourself some White Tan iirc from Snowdonia supplies.
It’s one of the products they sell anyway. An easy one solution tan that you can store mixed if you wish and use it again.
I have considered buying it myself but time and space have been a consideration.

Get yourself some White Tan iirc from Snowdonia supplies.
It’s one of the products they sell anyway. An easy one solution tan that you can store mixed if you wish and use it again.
I have considered buying it myself but time and space have been a consideration.
Thanks might have to get on some American how to youtube channels.

My 16 year old son is keen to try this but I suspect I will have to change bullets to enable it as the 70gn NBT’s from my .243 do tend to leave a bit of an exit wound.

Just skin it out pressure wash the skin and take any meat off it and pickle and then tan in lutan fn
Easy to do, regards Wayne

My 16 year old son is keen to try this but I suspect I will have to change bullets to enable it as the 70gn NBT’s from my .243 do tend to leave a bit of an exit wound.
I never found a 243 bullet that guaranteed no exit. However the 55 Sierra and 58 Vmax were less likely to exit. But bone ie shoulder shots could easily ruin a pelt.
Head shot is the only guarantee without a change of calibre.
My 20 Tac tends to give small hole in and no exit, when I use the lighter bullets.
The “fur takers” in the States seem to use either FMJ or small very frangible bullets.
It is a crying shame we don’t have a market for fur anymore.

Just skin it out pressure wash the skin and take any meat off it and pickle and then tan in lutan fn
Easy to do, regards Wayne
Does pressure washing really work?

I’m really interested in this - I absolutely hate fleshing, and it’s what stops me from doing much with my skins.

Is it just a matter of stretching out, spraying and off you go?

I’d be extremely grateful for advice/instructions.

Does pressure washing really work?

I’m really interested in this - I absolutely hate fleshing, and it’s what stops me from doing much with my skins.

Is it just a matter of stretching out, spraying and off you go?

I’d be extremely grateful for advice/instructions.
Yes it works fantastic if you have a powerful washer, you have to be careful around bullet holes and the face area but it rolls off meat and gunk really well, I used a thick board I slide my capes onto so far have all have been tubed or short cuts but if your doing full skins would help being stretched out onto a board, start inboard from an edge and always work to one if you know what I mean it leaves the inside skin clean and white no staining then you just rinse at the end to leave a lovely skin to go into the pickle, I have some fox capes to do and will do a video, like you was a little apprehensive and actually started off with smaller nozzles thinking I would just blow a cape apart but ended up with a normal long lance with high power nozzle and it works great saves a lot of work, regards Wayne.
Here’s a roe buck into tan

Last edited:
Yes it works fantastic if you have a powerful washer, you have to be careful around bullet holes and the face area but it rolls off meat and gunk really well, I used a thick board I slide my capes onto so far have all have been tubed or short cuts but if your doing full skins would help being stretched out onto a board, start inboard from an edge and always work to one if you know what I mean it leaves the inside skin clean and white no staining then you just rinse at the end to leave a lovely skin to go into the pickle, I have some fox capes to do and will do a video, like you was a little apprehensive and actually started off with smaller nozzles thinking I would just blow a cape apart but ended up with a normal long lance with high power nozzle and it works great saves a lot of work, regards Wayne.

I think you just blew my mind...

Been thinking what to do with the skin off my first deer that's been in the freezer. I wanted to tan it but was put off by the time it would take. I think I'll give it a go with the pressure washer. Cheers for this.

Flesh with pressure wash then get a couple of plastic containers like my picture use one for pickle
1lb salt
1lb alum
8oz borax
2oz citric acid
Per gallon of water this can be used again if you clean the skins so no dirt or debris is left in the fur.
Once pickled you want another container for lutan fn
A little aquarium pump to circulate the lutan and a small aquarium heater helps the lutan really get into the fibres
2oz of lutan and 10oz salt per gallon of water check ph is around 4 and leave in lutan for 24 hours then rinse properly then discard the solution it’s spent, dry off and oil the skin,regards Wayne

Flesh with pressure wash then get a couple of plastic containers like my picture use one for pickle
1lb salt
1lb alum
8oz borax
2oz citric acid
Per gallon of water this can be used again if you clean the skins so no dirt or debris is left in the fur.
Once pickled you want another container for lutan fn
A little aquarium pump to circulate the lutan and a small aquarium heater helps the lutan really get into the fibres
2oz of lutan and 10oz salt per gallon of water check ph is around 4 and leave in lutan for 24 hours then rinse properly then discard the solution it’s spent, dry off and oil the skin,regards Wayne
Where. An i buy Lutan? Ebay seems to think he’s a Rastafarian singer.

What pressure washer do you use?I tried one but was nowhere near strong enough

Back