Input please on roe buck lung

paulbshooting

Good evening, culled young cull buck today. All normal behaviour, neck shot and all inspections external and internal were fine. Seen the usual lung issues before but not this red blood clot / pattern as per photo? Lungs weren’t adhered to chest cavity. Cuts were me checking internals of lungs - no cysts or fluke etc. I normally chest shoot so don’t often have fully intact lungs to check but this was close range and for meat. Thanks

Attachments

paulbshooting

Thanks for the prompt response. I have since emailed the photo to a vet at APHA to get their thoughts.
The gralloch was buried and the deer is in my chiller so keen to know if safe to eat or send into food chain.

NickJ

I'm not a vet but I'd say pneumonia is a good shout compared to what I've seen in sheep.

Even if it was TB (and it won't be as the lymph nodes were OK etc) you could still eat the carcass.

VSS

If all else OK, then I'd eat it without a second thought. I must've eaten dozens and dozens of sheep with lungs like that, and I'm still here!

Hudson12

Good evening, culled young cull buck today. All normal behaviour, neck shot and all inspections external and internal were fine. Seen the usual lung issues before but not this red blood clot / pattern as per photo? Lungs weren’t adhered to chest cavity. Cuts were me checking internals of lungs - no cysts or fluke etc. I normally chest shoot so don’t often have fully intact lungs to check but this was close range and for meat. Thanks
Pneumonia

Hudson12

Might add wenkilled quite a few cattle that had failed vetting for slaughter that had had it and we ended up eating them no bother at all

Buchan

It could just be normal post-mortem changes to the lung. One way to distinguish truly consolidated lung from PM change is to see if a bit of the affected area floats on water. Not terribly useful on the fell, but can be done in the larder.