Installing an Ebony forend tip

AdamBragg

I thought I'd take the time to show everyone my method of installing an ebony forend tip on a Sako 85.
There are many ways of doing it, this is just my preferred method.

SD1.jpg
First, the desired length was marked, carefully cut and removed. The ebony replacement was roughly cut oversized.

SD2.jpg
Marks were then transferred from the stock to the ebony. These were then drilled and dowelled with walnut. The two pieces were then glued together.

SD3.jpg
The ebony was then roughly shaped to match the original using a combination of planes, rasps and files.

SD4.jpg
Work could then begin on the inside. The existing channel was extended using a combination of carving chisels and files. The new tip is then sanded from P100-P240, making sure to raise and cut back the grain.

SD5.jpg
Wet sanding with 600 grit and finishing oil creates a slurry which quickly fills the grain. After a few more coats of oil the stock is now finished and ready to go back to the customer.

I hope people find this useful. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

www.adambragg.co.uk

Gents, I took that stock and the forend for my holland and holland in just last week, ebony tip as pictured and a facelift for the H&H to remove years of oil and brighten up a dark and poorly finished forend. I wasn’t expecting anything so swift, and what a craftsman, anyone thinking of having any such work I would heartily recommend giving Adam a shout, nicer chap you couldn’t hope to meet.
Many thanks @AdamBragg

Last edited:
Gents, I took that stock and the forend for my holland and holland in just last week, ebony tip as pictured and a facelift for the H&H to remove years of oil and brighten up a dark and poorly finished forend. I wasn’t expecting anything so swift, and what a craftsman, anyone thinking of having any such work I would heartily recommend giving Adam a shout, nicer chap you couldn’t hope to meet.
Many thanks @AdamBragg
Thank you!

Back