Introduction

Alex1975

I have absolutely no experience with hunting or taxidermy and I rather desperately need some advice.

My sister is moving to the UK (from South Africa). She is obviously shipping over a lot of goods, and I would like her over bring a set of Kudu horns. The horns are from a Kudu antelope which my grandfather shot many, many years back. They are not mounted, and there is no hide or anything attached apart from a little bit of the white skull bone. I have spoken to a South African taxidermist and he is re-fumigating the horns and providing her with certificates. What is the process for importing this into the UK? I found something on the .gov site, but it doesn't say anything that means much to me.

Has anyone had any experience in importing something like this to the UK? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. My sister is terrified of bringing in something that might not be permitted.

Best regards
A.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
You can ship them straight in. They are not covered by CITIES, unless it is a rarer sub species from Sudan. Just make sure you have them fumigated by the taxidermist in SA.

Tim.243

I have absolutely no experience with hunting or taxidermy and I rather desperately need some advice.

My sister is moving to the UK (from South Africa). She is obviously shipping over a lot of goods, and I would like her over bring a set of Kudu horns. The horns are from a Kudu antelope which my grandfather shot many, many years back. They are not mounted, and there is no hide or anything attached apart from a little bit of the white skull bone. I have spoken to a South African taxidermist and he is re-fumigating the horns and providing her with certificates. What is the process for importing this into the UK? I found something on the .gov site, but it doesn't say anything that means much to me.

Has anyone had any experience in importing something like this to the UK? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. My sister is terrified of bringing in something that might not be permitted.

Best regards
A.
Welcome from Essex
A few SA members on here, JVR ( Johan ) was over last Nov for a trip with me...He learnt lots about public transport when I took him to the Imperial War Museum....lol

Tim.243