Just Beaters day to go

norma 308

Wow wheres that season gone it's flew by ,I lie really beaters day is next then a day of friends and the local hunt servants then a charity day for a cancer charity dear to the bosses heart .
but the boss does like to give the beaters a good day he refused a final drive on sat last as the guns had shot enough .
what do you guys and your bosses do for the beaters come beaters day ?
Norma

I've got a couple more let days to go and my beaters get the last two days of the season (30th and 31st)

Stacey

The shoot where I control the foxes and beat occasionally had their Beater's Day last week as the boss had sold too many days at the end of the month. Looking at the weather, I'm glad it wasn't this week!

You don't need big numbers to have a gr8 day boys what about the crack and the grub Ect :lol:
what about a few stories of past days Ect
we have a Stetson hat that the numpty voted by the previous team has to wear for any misdemeanor ie missing everything !

We have some of our keepers from Scotland coming down for a day, then 2 beaters days, the first one they all put money in a hat to shoot and we give it to the air ambulance, the second is a more traditional beaters day. We feed them in a pub after every shoot day, they get the same food and drink as the guns at drinks every day and they get pigeon shooting and vermin through feb and in the summer. You have to look after the beaters-no beaters no shoot.

We have some of our keepers from Scotland coming down for a day, then 2 beaters days, the first one they all put money in a hat to shoot and we give it to the air ambulance, the second is a more traditional beaters day. We feed them in a pub after every shoot day, they get the same food and drink as the guns at drinks every day and they get pigeon shooting and vermin through feb and in the summer. You have to look after the beaters-no beaters no shoot.
Supposed to be the last Saturday but We've just been informed by the head keeper that beaters day has been cancelled altogether as the owner has informed him that he has sold the beaters day to a team of paying guns that shoot there regularly. Everyone is totally pi**ed off and should really walk away for the rest of the season on principle, see how he gets on with his 300/500 bird days then. :evil:

Supposed to be the last Saturday but We've just been informed by the head keeper that beaters day has been cancelled altogether as the owner has informed him that he has sold the beaters day to a team of paying guns that shoot there regularly. Everyone is totally pi**ed off and should really walk away for the rest of the season on principle, see how he gets on with his 300/500 bird days then. :evil:

that is a real p#ss take mate, I have a few local shoots close to me have been giving days to there buddies behind the syndictes back.
they are pretty much p#ssed off about it, that they are jumping ship next season. for my benefit I think...

Hi Gary
are you going to set an example and not turn up for the "sold beaters day" ? What are the keepers thoughts on this ? You could ask the union for advice .

Regards
Chill

How's it going Chris
Its a real awkward one mate. As will mostly be the case, when you go somewhere for a long time you become personal friends with the keepers and don't really want to let them down. I think your better off with the smaller commercial shoots where you are appreciated better by the owner/syndicate than some of the big money owners that look down their nose at you and don't have any principles.
Keepers are also totally pi**ed off as its more of a social day out with plenty of craic and a few beers than chase after the thousands of birds that are still left.
If we put a grievance in i'll get you to represent us :rofl:

atb Gaz

Had that happen to me many years ago and did not go to beat on what should have been the beaters day, in fact never went back when the Shoot was run by that regime.

Blackpowder

We pay our beaters and feed and supply drinks and elevenses for them.. They get 4-6 outside days on pheasants and woodcock. This year we had an extra day for our friends of the shoot therefore we don't have a beaters day. If they don't approve they can see what other shoots have to offer.

We pay our beaters and feed and supply drinks and elevenses for them.. They get 4-6 outside days on pheasants and woodcock. This year we had an extra day for our friends of the shoot therefore we don't have a beaters day. If they don't approve they can see what other shoots have to offer.
Do the beaters get to shoot on the 4-6 outside days ? If so that's there beaters days ?? We have our beaters day on sat then an outside day AFTER the beaters have had a go .i have great beaters and pickers up I would like a few with more dogs and NOBS was great help this year but you need guys who can come week in week out who know the ground and can make snappy decisions .
there should always be a beaters day ! If I went all season and then was told the syndicate was taking the beaters day you could swivel that's not cricket and the folks running the show don't give a dam and arnt gentlemen .
norma

Yes, our outside days and clay days are for everyone from 8-80. We run full bore and small bore target competitions and there are no complaints.

Hmmmm... Sounds like maybe you go to the same shoot that my kids beat at. Pretty similar, anyway! Always some excuse why the traditional beaters day gets cancelled. Been that way for a few years. Have a bit of a day at clays in May instead, but it's not the same, is it.

Unfortunately the 1st of February falls on a Sunday and shoot Saturdays are in short supply. Our syndicate has slotted in an extra day next Saturday for all to enjoy..

Personally I have always disliked beaters days both from the organising them, and from being invited to them usually made an excuse and avoided them if possible.

Walk one stand one not too bad provided those walking don't have guns, guns in the line a nightmare your beaters who have been perfect all season, suddenly can't keep a line desperate to get a shot , shots fired at birds going forward when walking guns should really only be shooting at birds going back.

I have also seen some dangerous shots on beaters day
However it is a bit of a dilemma as the beaters day is traditional, and I am a great supporter of shooting tradition.

Many beaters look forward to beaters day, and it's a way of showing appreciation , regardless of what renumeration they receive on shoot days

Should beaters be given a day yes, it's just that beaters days make me gringe , and I would rather not take part.

Back