Night vision

palframan5

I am wanting to buy night vision which have the green image, are all the nv with the green images the gen1 gen2 etc and all the black and white image digital nv?

many thanks
richard

Colour of the image is irrelevant. As stated, there are two diferent types. Digital NV and tubed NV. Digital NV used a camera lens, which is sensitive to infra-read light, to present a video image to you, through an LCD screen. Tubed NV used a very complex system of microscopic strands of fibre optic to amplify the tiniest amount of ambient light using a photocathode.

Later version fo Gen 2+ and Gen 3 tubes are available with a black and white image, instead of a black and green image. In the grand scheme of things, the colour doesnt matter. Better clarity and longer ranges are acheivable using tubed NV systems, hence their increased cost over the digital camera systems.

Many people with Yukon Photon NV, which has a b/w image as std, insert a green plastic filter into the eyepiece to make it easier on the eye. So in theory, any NV could have a green image.

Colour of the image is irrelevant. As stated, there are two diferent types. Digital NV and tubed NV. Digital NV used a camera lens, which is sensitive to infra-read light, to present a video image to you, through an LCD screen. Tubed NV used a very complex system of microscopic strands of fibre optic to amplify the tiniest amount of ambient light using a photocathode.

Later version fo Gen 2+ and Gen 3 tubes are available with a black and white image, instead of a black and green image. In the grand scheme of things, the colour doesnt matter. Better clarity and longer ranges are acheivable using tubed NV systems, hence their increased cost over the digital B

Later version fo Gen 2+ and Gen 3 tubes are available with a black and white image, instead of a black and green image. In the grand scheme of things, the colour doesnt matter. Better clarity and longer ranges are acheivable using tubed NV systems, hence their increased cost over the digital camera systems.

Mr B,

I think you have kind of missed the point of what i was asking. I was just. Wanting to make sure that I was right in thinking the green and black image nv is from the tubed nv systems. Because I find the green and black image far easier to look at for long periods as opposed to the black and white nv

Apparently some people find black and white images more tiring to view for long periods compared to green images.

Cheers

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

That's exactly why I asked ,I find the green and black far easier to look at for long periods and I didn't know if there was any digital nv that had a green image

Many people with Yukon Photon NV, which has a b/w image as std, insert a green plastic filter into the eyepiece to make it easier on the eye. So in theory, any NV could have a green image.
Cheers, that's quite a good tip

You can get a black and white image with Tubed Nightvision, if it is white phosphor tube. Although it does have a slight blue or grey tone, but I suppose that depends on your colour vision standard...one persons blue tint is anothers grey tint.

Mr B has basically described the differences between tubed and digital NV better than I could have.

I will add though, if you didn't know already, that any tubed night vision is strictly night use only unless it is very special with special filters and i.e. very very expensive. You cannot expose a turned on tube to any form of daylight or artificial light other than IR, even powerful IR's can eventually downgrade the tube. The upside is that you can use it with without an external IR if needed, although this effect is best had with gen 3 or it's better or equivalent in a Photinos tube... XD4 XR5 etc.

Digital night vision can be used in the day without damaging the internals and it is always going to be cheaper than Generation 3 plus and in most cases even gen 2 plus. Some digital units can also be used well apparently with no IR, mainly in the dusk/twilight to night transition like with the Ward digiceptor scope....of course its all weather and conditions dependent with any night vision!

You could argue that these days with the images improving and digital being cheaper, it's a no brainer...however I think even at the moment, a state of the art tube has the upper hand over digital in terms of image sharpness and definition, you just need to look after it and use it properly.

Sorry for the essay! I have been trying out alot of units the past 3-4 years. I have settled with a cheap photon digital unit on a .22lr as its perfect for one of those and can use in the day also...not to say its not good for centrefire because it is, very good units. However I think a tubed add-on to a day scope has that edge, particularly for your longer range stuff...whether it be archer or pvs14 or similar.

I hope that helps you somewhat

I am wanting to buy night vision which have the green image, are all the nv with the green images the gen1 gen2 etc and all the black and white image digital nv?

many thanks
richard

Starlight Archer for sale

I'm selling as I'm almost 70 years old now and my health is not so good to get out as I used to. I sold my elder brothers Archer to a member here awhile back for the same reason and he is well pleased. I'm pretty sure if I asked him if it was OK he would let you message him and he will vouch for my honesty and integrity. Clearly my Archer is top of the range plus has the advanced specification TV lens. If you don't want the Dragonfly, NM mount & charger you can have the rest for £1400 inc post.
Grade A spotless tube
Pentax TV lens
Female bayonet
2 x male bayonet
2 x different sized bayonet shims
Owner/instruction manual
Field carry case

Dragonfly IR laser
Nightmaster fully adjustable mount
Battery + charger

attachment.php

attachment.php

Starlight Archer for sale

I'm selling as I'm almost 70 years old now and my health is not so good to get out as I used to. I sold my elder brothers Archer to a member here awhile back for the same reason and he is well pleased. I'm pretty sure if I asked him if it was OK he would let you message him and he will vouch for my honesty and integrity. Clearly my Archer is top of the range plus has the advanced specification TV lens. If you don't want the Dragonfly, NM mount & charger you can have the rest for £1400 inc post.
Grade A spotless tube
Pentax TV lens
Female bayonet
2 x male bayonet
2 x different sized bayonet shims
Owner/instruction manual
Field carry case

Dragonfly IR laser
Nightmaster fully adjustable mount
Battery + charger

attachment.php

attachment.php
That sounds like a very good buy for someone, if I dident use a longbow I would have that instant

Back