S A Airlines - Firearms

Deutsch - Drahthaar

Hopefully going to South Africa for first time this year. Any issues with taking firearms on South Africa Airlines? flying from Heathrow to Joburg then to East London.

Thanks in advance

One of the best to fly with but make sure that the connecting flight is with them and not a partner airline as only SAA can carry firearms internally. You are allowed one rifle up to 23kg free.

they are usually hassle free with firearms. I usually book over the telephone and this avoids any problems with the internal transfers.

sometimes SAA code share with mango and I dont know their policy for firearms.

Hassle free even when you turn up at Joburg with no paper work having traveled on an internal with firearms like I did on my return lol. Out again in 12 weeks :)

they are usually hassle free with firearms. I usually book over the telephone and this avoids any problems with the internal transfers.

Mango no go firearms. Always keep transfers with the same airline;);)
Tusker

:cuckoo::closed::cuckoo:

perhaps me with my Bat (Micro light) and you with the Cessna can offer a service...:cool: :cuckoo:

2 trips in already this year going again end of month all no problem with SAA ,heads up namibia police at Windhoek getting busy with moderators apparently you need it on your invite letter and your import application when you process on line ... they will take off you and return it when you fly home ,well if they see it that is ! It also depends on the border force officer

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. Totally forgotten about heath insurance - I'm BASC insured but what other insurance do I need and where from?

Thanks in advance!

Give yourself plenty of time at all stages. I recommend x3 hours minimum even for internal connections. Sometimes administration and the administrators themselves can move with all the vigour and purpose of a French trade unionist on Bastille Day!

A friend has just come back to uk via Joburg from Bloem' on SAA booking. Make sure you get in writing your internal flight is with firearms as the new partner wouldn't carry his. Two weeks later they had another new contract carrier and they were ditto. They paid for him to fly with firearms on different carriers both ways. And as above leave plenty of time. Or do as I do, enjoy self drive and seeing the country. It's mostly great value and very good roads and beautiful scenery.

One of the best to fly with but make sure that the connecting flight is with them and not a partner airline as only SAA can carry firearms internally. You are allowed one rifle up to 23kg free.

SAA make firearm carriage a doddle. Per the statement from TH4 above, carriage of firearm is free [treated as sporting goods per SAA website]. What is less well known is that should your rifle consume all of the 23kg sporting allowance, your 5kg of ammunition can be considered part of your checked baggage allowance.

SAA_Sports_baggage_allowance.jpgSAA_ammunition_considered_as_baggage_allowance.jpg

Reactions: TH4
SAA is hassle free with regard to Firearms and ammunition. Also they can be taken without any surcharges. Virgin also used to be good when it came to flying with firearms but I'm still in dispute with them after we missed a connection to the UK at Joberg due to the inexperience and incompetence of the staff at the check in desk which meant my party had to buy a new return ticket home the next day. I'm flying with SAA from now on!!!

Back