JT_Payton

Hi,
I'm based in Norfolk and am completely new to hunting in general. I'm particularly interested in deer stalking. I've been learning all I can and I am now looking to get some experience under my belt as soon as I can. I've been looking at the DSC1 and DSC2 courses and I'll for sure be looking at doing them in the future. However, can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I could possibly get a little field experience before doing the courses like that? Any help would be greatly appreciated as starting out is proving to be a little overwhelming with the amount of info out there for a newbie. Also, when people get their DSC1 and 2 certificates how do people generally find the land to hunt on? Since most land is privately owned in the UK I imagine it can be hard to find permissions to stalk deer. Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it.
Cheers.

Hi,
I'm based in Norfolk and am completely new to hunting in general. I'm particularly interested in deer stalking. I've been learning all I can and I am now looking to get some experience under my belt as soon as I can.....
In the meantime...buy an air-rifle and punch some paper targets before even thinking of shooting at something with a pulse.....

I suggest you book a few outings with professional guides and in different parts of the country on different species, as well as book yourself in for the next DSC1 course in your area. The practical experience and course will show you if this is a hobby to take to the next level. There are many excellent prof. guides on this site. Just a point, the DSC2 is not a 'course' it is a series of witnessed stalks where your practical knowledge and experience is observed and in most cases 'signed off' as competent. In the mean time have a look if there is a Rifle Range/Club in your area where you can join or go on the waiting list. It also makes a lot of sense to start 'stalking' deer in your local area, farms and woodlands, with a CAMERA. You will gain a lot of practical experience and the field craft required is the same. Good luck and have fun.

Have a look here for some DSC1 practice questions and other training material. It's a seriously good resource!

And as others have mentioned, a paid stalk or two will give you some really good experience, as well as give you an idea as to whether you want to take it further.

And practice your shooting, even if it's just with your .22. Breathing techniques, learning your holdovers, trigger technique, etc are all invaluable training. I use my .22 on a weekly basis to keep myself up to scratch.

Finally, just ask questions. There's not a bloke (or lassie, for that matter) no the forum who isn't willing to help a notice, even if it's just general tips and advice.

Best of luck

I took my son as a gift to Chippenham Park in Suffolk. He enjoyed a 1 to 1 sort of DSC 1 Experience culminating in the chance to shoot deer from a high seat. A very very very good few hours, very good value, and whilst he was out sat with his excellent mentor in the high seat I stayed in the lodge cum classroom and stuffed myself from the large the complimentary Quality Street chocolates. I think as a beginner experience the OP would find it most worthwhile.

Back