Steyr Scout accuracy , what to expect ?

Hales Smut

A good few months ago I bought a second hand Scout in 308. Test fired it with Geco Express 165 grain and it shot great.
With the covid , the range was closed uptill recently. Last week I went to shoot the rifle. Again nice 3 shot groups with the Geco ammo. 3 shots slightly less than 1" at 100m. This outide hole/outside hole.
With Winchester factory ammo 150 grain , both PowerPoint and Powermax , accuracy was bad . 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 inch groups . Always 3 shots at 100m.
Sako gamehead pro 165 grain was even worse.

My Browning European is shooting clover leaf groups, with anything you feed it.

If I read posts on the Scout , some people say : Very accurate . What does this mean?
What is "normal" accuracy for the scout with it's thin barrel and factory ammo?

Am I expecting to much after shooting the Browning?
Three shots in 1" at 100m is what I expect.

Home Loader

How many rounds did you fire?
When was the last time you did any rifle shooting?
Has your fitness changed?
Was it prone or bench how was the gun supported?
Is there someone else who could shoot it for you?
If it was spot on last time and unless it has had a knock to be left of the point of aim would suggest something to do with you, have you cleaned it?

bobthenailer

During the Anti Piracy private security boom I put together literally hundreds of Scout packages, fitting scopes and zeroing them ready for the teams and every single Scout shot Sub MOA, some obviously were better than others which is to be expected with any brand.

But ALL shot sub MOA with whatever ammo was used.
Steyr REALLY do accuracy test each rifle before it leaves the factory, not sub MOA... won’t leave the factory. Fact.
Is the rifle new or new or new to you?

Hales Smut

An Irish friend , who's advise I rate very highly, recommended me to try 168 grain match ammo. " If a 308 doesn't shoot well with that, there's a problem " Either rifle, scope,mount
I will try this, but the range is 01:30 h driving from here. So this will be in the coming 2-3 weeks.

The rifle is second hand. New to me. But I shot small groups with it , when test firing it and shot small groups with Geco ammo last week.

I shoot from a workmate based bench.
I still shoot regulary my 223 for foxes.

I shot 3 shot groups and did some 22 WMR shooting in between every 3 shot group. This to allow the barrel to cool down.

I use a €2 coin to measure. This is exactly 1". Otherwise I measure.
If the holes are covered completely, I am happy.
If it's smaller I am really happy.

My Browning is great. The Steyr , up to now, only with one of the 4 ammo's I tested.
Because I want a harder bullet for deer/boar , I ask this question.
Am I expecting to much ? When reading the answers, it seems I don't.

I also , a few days ago, gave the barrel a clean with Schletek barrel cleaner. On advice of my Irish friend.
Did it twice to be sure.

Last edited:

Mr. Gain

20210523_153839.jpg
Here's a target I shot when checking zero on a new load with my Scout a week or so ago. The two patched holes in the roundel are from a previous session. The hole at the top was a sighter. I then dialled down. The cloverleaf above the bull has 3 shots in it. Range was 105m and I was shooting sitting off sticks (my most frequent hunting stance). The bullet was a Barnes TTSX. Some may want more, but that's accurate enough for me.

Heym SR20

Skinny barrels can shoot very well when they are cold. Skinny barrels heat up very quickly, and if the bore is not perfectly concentric the barrel can warp and hence open up groups as the barrel gets hot.

If you are shooting groups let barrel cool between shots. In hunting situations its the first round from a cold barrel that counts. Lightweight rifles with skinny barrels are also more difficult to shoot well - its why long range and target rifles have heavy barrels.

I played with a steyr scout when the first came out. That was in the mid 1990’s. They are a light rifle designed to be carried lots. The one I played with was in 308 and my recollection was that it had enough recoil that you needed to manage it properly - good technique required. And its accuracy was adequate, rather than bench rest. It was an estate rifle on an estate where I did a lot of culling. I could see its utility, but given open hill, I used the estates Sako TRG-S in 25-06 instead.

The other challenge with the Scout is its integrated bipod - on a hard surface this will cause the rifle to bounce about, especially in 308. It’s probably ok on soft ground, and will make a useful stand for resting the rifle, but when shooting off a bench use bags and firm hold of the forend. It's a nice concept but poor execution.

And also you need to manage expectations. The Steyr Scout is an early 1990’s design. With most rifles from those days sub 2” group was the norm, sub 1” was the exception or after tuning or with certain ammo. And for the Scout and its original purpose as a do it all carry rifle 2” is plenty good enough. Any deer within 200 yards is dead and for self defence purposes, again its more than adequate.

Clearly the rifle likes the Geco ammo and not the American brands, so stick with the Geco and sub 1" is what it will do - and to be honest the Winchester ammo will do the job for most of what you shoot.

paul o'

Its prob one of the best .243's i'd ever had bug holes is all i can say out of that 19" barrel outstanding little rifle as long as you can get over the silly legs lol

bfltd0

This is the way my 308 Scout shoots, too -and using the issue 2.5X Scout scope, no less. ~Muir
My .308 Scout with the 2.5x scope shoots under MOA. My .243 and .223 Scouts with 6x42 scopes go to 1/2MOA if I do my bit.

All of this is with factory ammo, as I don't handload.

spannulman

I’d suggest sticking to the 165gn and be happy. My 308 shot 150gn very well but had larger, albeit acceptable 1 1/2-2” groups with 170gn rounds. I guess some barrels work better with specific weights.

my .243 pro Hunter is similar. It loves 100gn ammo, and shoots most types well but sako and norma will have 5 ends touching. 105 gun geco are much the same but a slightly different poi. But the 80gn I’ve tried were consistently larger, like 1 1/2 inches. Still ok but you want it as small as you can get don’t you? So I stick with 100/105 gn and am a happy Gun.

Hales Smut

If it shoots well with geco then why change it?
I would like something a bit harder.
Those plastic tipped bullets can make a mess on lighter game or when hitting bone.
It's a very practical rifle. I would like to use it for high seat work and " druckjagd " ( driven shooting) in Germany.

Hales Smut

The 170g soft points might be a good choice
Indeed. I also had a look at the Plus and Star.
Star is monolithic, wich is more and more requested on German driven shoots organised by the Forestery Commission.
Plus is a bonded bullet.
Geco still is very affordable.

Hales Smut

My goal was, with this post, to see if I had an average Scout or not.
Reading the answers, in my idea, the one I bought certainly is not representive for the average Scout described.

Hales Smut

I'm thinking you haven't shot it enough to tell.
I'm curious: What kind of glass do you have on it?~Muir
I couldn't shoot it as much as I would have liked.
There's only one range in the Flemish part of Belgium. Due to covid it was closed for a long time. From today on, it will be easier to go and shoot there. Still only open in the WE's and 01:30hr driving.
I was a bit disapoointed with the performance of the 150 grain bullets. My goal was to get a quality 150 grain bullet , such as Power Max or Sako SHH , shooting sub moa. This would give me a very versatile rifle on most game and shooting situations available here.

Scope came with the rifle. Leupold Mark AR 3-9 x 40 , with Leupold PRW rings.
Would like to put a European 50mm scope on it, for better low light performance.