Taking 2 rifles stalking?

spandit

Does anyone take 2 rifles with them whilst stalking (or sitting in a high seat)? Thinking a rimfire or FAC air to knock down some squirrels and rabbits whilst waiting for the deer to appear

nun_hunter

As long as it's not too far to walk to the highseat I will take a .22lr for plinking while waiting for something else to show up.

chill123

Why don't you take a shotgun with you as well ,so you can have a shot at any passing pigeons ? My advice is to target one species per sitting .
Chill

Essex stalker

Only take one rifle when stalking as I'm interested purely on the deer but when out on the rabbits with the rim fire I always take the .223 with me as well in case fox shows

Highlandsjohn

Does anyone take 2 rifles with them whilst stalking (or sitting in a high seat)? Thinking a rimfire or FAC air to knock down some squirrels and rabbits whilst waiting for the deer to appear

I used to take two rifles,the 243 for deer and 22 for the odd rabbit on the way home. I developed reduced loads for the 243 using trail boss and H4895, now both unfortunately unavailable, so only need to carry the 243 for those occasions.
My poi at 100 yds was, 1" high for deer (rising) and 1"low for rabbit.(dropping) No need to fiddle with the scope.

If you have a lot of work for the 22 you would probably be best concentrating on the one calibre.john

spandit

As long as it's not too far to walk to the highseat I will take a .22lr for plinking while waiting for something else to show up.

That's more or less what I was thinking

Why don't you take a shotgun with you as well ,so you can have a shot at any passing pigeons ? My advice is to target one species per sitting .
Chill

I could dual wield - that would be cool.

Chasey

Do it all the time.

We have to cull the squirrels on one of our permissions so I do those with the sub sonic rimfire and the deer with my full bore rifle.

Shot a squirrel and then a deer 15mins later so the noise isn't an issue had combined squirrel and deer days many many times.

I have also had great squirrel bashing sessions where I haven't seen a deer

Chasey

Chill

Tried that but the 410 Hushpower was more noisy than I thought so its impractical. .22rim fire is fine and whilst not doing pigeons, I have taken the odd Pheasant home for dinner

zambezi

Only take one rifle when stalking as I'm interested purely on the deer but when out on the rabbits with the rim fire I always take the .223 with me as well in case fox shows

I recently discovered that my bunny rifle is sufficient for clean despatch of foxes and so the one-or-two rifle dilemma on rabbit outings is resolved for me. And I would not want the clutter of two rifles in a high seat vigil for deer. I just know I would drop one!

Cut+Squirt

I only ever take one rifle with me, but also take my bagpipes to help pass the time whilst waiting on the deer to present themselves :)
They obviously don't like my tunes though as I don't often see much ha!

Monkey Spanker

Yes, I have taken a .22LR and a HW100 in .177 as well as the stalking rifle. Mainly when sitting in high seats contract culling when I know there is little chance of a deer! The air rifle is often better as you can shoot into trees for squirrels/pigeons etc. A small carbine on the left shoulder doesn't really get in the way.
MS

Heym SR20

It’s called a combination gun. I take a 7mm and 16 bore with me most time I go hunting. Blown chance at a stag or buck, chance of a grouse or pigeon on way home:)

spandit

I recently discovered that my bunny rifle is sufficient for clean despatch of foxes and so the one-or-two rifle dilemma on rabbit outings is resolved for me. And I would not want the clutter of two rifles in a high seat vigil for deer. I just know I would drop one!

After reading your post I'd use my HMR on foxes but I have a paid stalk booked that I'll be using my .308 on - bit noisy and expensive for rabbits and squirrels. Thinking a compact bullpup PCP might fit the bill as I'd be taking a rucksack anyway and might be getting FAC air on my ticket soon anyway. Such a pity the Brocock fox is no longer available

Woodsmoke

It takes me all my time to get into a high seat with one rifle, let alone two :oops:

And then there's the trek in with two rifles on your shoulder, securing the unused one whilst in the high seat, trying to swap between them if a different quarry appears, carrying both types of ammunition, trying to carry a deer out while also carrying two rifles and a pile of rabbits/squirrels/pigeons, etc . . . . .

Nope, just far too much hassle, let alone the potential safety issues. I wouldn't even consider it, myself

VSS

It takes me all my time to get into a high seat with one rifle, let alone two :oops:

And then there's the trek in with two rifles on your shoulder, securing the unused one whilst in the high seat, trying to swap between them if a different quarry appears, carrying both types of ammunition, trying to carry a deer out while also carrying two rifles and a pile of rabbits/squirrels/pigeons, etc . . . . .

Nope, just far too much hassle, let alone the potential safety issues. I wouldn't even consider it, myself

All you need to carry is your pipe and tobacco pouch. The native porters and gunbearers can handle all the rest.