CDSG Shooting Sports

Tikka T3X

Hello folks
Here is
Tikka T3x Varmint .308
24" barrel 1:11 twist
Varget powder
New Lapua scenar 155

If any of you don't mind to share any good long range and accurate recipe for this powder and bullet in 308, I'll appreciate that.
Regards

Muir

Hello folks
Here is
Tikka T3x Varmint .308
24" barrel 1:11 twist
Varget powder
New Lapua scenar 155

If any of you don't mind to share any good long range and accurate recipe for this powder and bullet in 308, I'll appreciate that.
Regards
I use Hodgdon's data for the 155 grain Sierra Palma Match. I'm loading 45.5 grains. The load spread for Varget is 44 to 47 grains. It is one-hole accurate from my 11" twist Savage Long Range Hunter seated to just under 2.8" in trimmed cases and crimped with a Lee FCD. I have not shot them at long distance but I think these would make a good 600 yard load, for sure.~Muir

Laurie

The standard GB prone rifle load with this bullet has for many years been on the lines of:

good quality case - Lapua, RWS, Norma
Match primer - F210M, CCI-BR2, or milder model such as S&B, Russian KVB-7, RWS
Viht N140 somewhere between 43.5 and 46gn depending on barrel internal dimensions, chamber / freebore, discipline and MV needed. 44-45gn is the most common result from testing.

You know that VarGet is disappearing thanks to new EU regulations? Alternatives are Viht N140, Alliant Re15, Reload Swiss RS50 or RS52, Lovex SO62, Ramshot Tac.

Last edited:

Southern

44.0 gr RL-15 works with 155, 165, 168 SMK, and 175 SMK and A-Max.

If the EU is allowing RL-15, how about Alliant 2000-MR? It is dense, so you can put more into the case, slower burning, and will push the 155-gr SMK at a very accurate 2,950 FPS out of a 24-inch barrel .308 Win, like my Steyrs. 47.5 grains will launch a 175 or 178 at 2,750.

Tikka T3X

Thanks for the reply.
And another thing is , when I'm load data to the QuickLoad with this bullet head and 45.8 varget show up warning with 61700psi near Pmax and 46gr or over shows more than 62000psi which is the maximum for the. 308 case.
So is it possible to be like that, because the bullet is longer than usual 155 bullets, even is longer than 175smk or QuickLoad has some kind of mistake.

Laurie

44.0 gr RL-15 works with 155, 165, 168 SMK, and 175 SMK and A-Max.

If the EU is allowing RL-15, how about Alliant 2000-MR? It is dense, so you can put more into the case, slower burning, and will push the 155-gr SMK at a very accurate 2,950 FPS out of a 24-inch barrel .308 Win, like my Steyrs. 47.5 grains will launch a 175 or 178 at 2,750.

We don't get any of the Alliant MR series powders in the UK, also many other recent improved versions of others powders such as AR-Comp. Alliant ATK hasn't applied for the EU's CE product certification for any new grade of powder for maybe 10 years now, not since Re10x unless there is something I've missed, with the sole exception of Nitrochemie manufactured Re17 which is no longer imported here anyway. (We get it instead more directly from Switzerland as Reload Swiss RS60).

In any event, Alliant's ball type powders were developed and manufactured by the St Marks Powder Co. in Florida, the former Olin Industries outfit, which also makes Winchester ball powders and Hodgdon 'spherical' grades, the majority of which aren't Reach-compliant, only the most recent introductions being so - CFE223, Li'l Gun, CFE BLK.

Re15 (as are Re19, 22, 25 etc) is a European manufactured product by Bofors in Sweden and all of the company's European sourced rifle powders from Bofors and Nitrochemie in Switzerland are Reach-compliant. (There are some grades though that whilst originating in Europe aren't seen here such as Re16 and Re26.)

Last edited:

Laurie

Thanks for the reply.
And another thing is , when I'm load data to the QuickLoad with this bullet head and 45.8 varget show up warning with 61700psi near Pmax and 46gr or over shows more than 62000psi which is the maximum for the. 308 case.
So is it possible to be like that, because the bullet is longer than usual 155 bullets, even is longer than 175smk or QuickLoad has some kind of mistake.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. :confused:

QuickLOAD should never be taken at face value and I'd never use loads that are almost at its predicted maximum allowed pressures straight-off unless they're verified from other sources that involve pressure barrels. Also, for the model to be accurate, QL inputs have to be 'tuned', in particular by ascertaining the 'overflow water capacity' of a fireformed case from your rifle chamber, likewise actual COAL with the bullet just off the lands. (And if seated into them, the shot-start pressure level must be raised substantially from the program's default value.) The default case water capacity used by the program may or may not match the capacity of the brass you're loading and it often makes a substantial difference to calculated pressures.

Leica Amplus 6