Variation

Olly.243

I hello I am considering buying a new .243 I already have a .243 and I don't want two so my question is how I go about it do I sell it then apply for a variation or how does it work. Many thanks

bullet chucker

Apply for a one for one variation. This will inform the FEO that no changes other than a change of rifle and not callibre.

BC

Olly.243

Great thanks for your quick reply. If I done it this way could I then buy my new rifel and sell old one the same day.

Orion

do I sell it then apply for a variation or how does it work. Many thanks

That’s the usual sequence of events, sell and then apply for a freebie one-for-one variation at the same time as informing the FLD of the sale - which should be a simple paper exercise if no change of use is involved.

If you want to buy before you sell, then some FLDs may be amenable to putting the existing rifle on a S7 permit prior to disposal, while providing a new vacant slot on your FAC to allow purchase of the new rifle.

Oxon Stuart

Hello,

It's probably worth discussing your options with your FEO. When I only had one rifle and wanted to part exchange it for another I asked my FEO if I could get a temporary certificate for the current rifle and a revised certificate with permission to buy a rifle in the same calibre. I explained that I only had the one rifle, and I didn't want to be without one for the time it would take for the variation to go through.

My FEO was quite happy with that and I was duly issued with the temporary certificate valid for 1 month and a new certificate.

Having never gone through the process before I didn't think anything of it, but the RFD I was getting the new rifle from did seem rather surprised when I showed up with the paperwork.

Regards,

Stuart

Yokel Matt

Give the variation office a ring, explain your doing a part-x and have the new rifle lined up and need a 1-for-1. Follow this up in writing with you form 101 or whatever the hell its now called.

Should be a formality, at least it is in my neck of the woods.

Don’t forget to add your sound mod to the variation either.

Sampo

What's wrong in owing two .243? Since its already a calibre you have, it probably will be fine. You can do a 1-for-1 later on after you have sold the rifle and have an empty slot for the future when you may want to get another one. Also it becomes easier if you want to change one of the .243 to say a .308.

Pedro

What's wrong in owing two .243? Since its already a calibre you have, it probably will be fine. You can do a 1-for-1 later on after you have sold the rifle and have an empty slot for the future when you may want to get another one. Also it becomes easier if you want to change one of the .243 to say a .308.

Nothing. Except you have to have good reason to possess two of the same calibre. And it's cheaper to get a one for one variation than applying for another .243 slot.