What scope on a 243??? Help???

Hi All,

I am about to purchase the below:

Browning x bolt eclipse hunter 243
Are ultra sound mod
+ Bipod and bits

The issue I have is I had my heart set on a Hawke Endurance 30 3-12 x 56LR DOT Riflescope at £350.00 but my dad put the seed of doubt in my mind earlier when he came over and said is this enough money to spend on a scope and is it correct? So far as I can see it will do the job fine, has the reticle I want and has a good light transmission but has 0 parallax adjustment, I would really appreciate your thoughts as this is now stopping me from purchasing the package in case I am making a big mistake which may cost me in the long run if I need to spend more money on a better scope, please help????? :confused:

Kind Regards

Dan

Going to be used for Deer stalking, late afternoon, early evening last light and also night shooting and day for foxes.

banus

delta titainium 2.5x15x56,more money but has illuminated reticle and excellent light gathering.i did have a 8x56 s&b very good but not up to the delta.just buy the best you can its an expensive hobby buying cheap scopes.good luck with your choice.

teyhan1

Buy once, cry once.
Your scope will follow you through your rifle changes.
I still have my 23 yr old Swarovski Nova 3-12x56. It has had the seals changed a couple of times ( under warranty) and I had the lenses replaced last year for £120
Total cost inc lenses £970 divided by 23 yrs = £42 / year.
Can't complain abut that and it's probably still worth £400
I think I might be buried with it

devon deer stalker

Keep it simple
6x42 or 8x56 Schmidt and Bender
I can beat the above poster with my 6x42 S&B purchased 23 years ago for £325, never needed to spend a penny on it.
Cheers
Richard

Last edited:

stubear

Then spend the £350 on a S&B 8x56. Far superior in low light
+1 on that. I've had a look through one of these scopes are they are great in low light.

The old adage of "buy cheap, buy twice" is definitely true when it comes to optics. I was balking at some of the prices when I got my scope (and my binos as it happens) and in the end I just went for it.

No point in spending £300 on a scope that doesnt do what you want and then having to upgrade later - In the long run you've spent more money and in the short term you have poor low light visibility!

S&B make great optics (shot my first deer via an S&B scope so I can attest to their low light capabilities) and the 8x56 is a great bit of kit which will outlive you if you look after it.

You might also have a look in the classifieds here as there are a variety of scopes up for sale there at the moment and you might find one in your price bracket.

BLUEROLL

Going to be used for Deer stalking, late afternoon, early evening last light and also night shooting and day for foxes.
Think about whether or not you may end up doing some foxing with a NV add on. If so you will need something with side focus.

nun_hunter

delta titainium 2.5x15x56,more money but has illuminated reticle and excellent light gathering.i did have a 8x56 s&b very good but not up to the delta.just buy the best you can its an expensive hobby buying cheap scopes.good luck with your choice.
If you have £350 now and can afford £30 a month for the next year then definitely get the Delta from Optics Warehouse and use there 0% interest loan. It'll tick all the boxes you like about the Hawke but at a far superior spec (better illumination and parralax) and glass that will blow the Hawke out the water. Or buy a fixed mag second hand from the big 3 names. People are generally divided between fixed mag and variable and they stay with those choices and defend them vehemently so you need to decide which camp you're in. I've had both and definitely would always have variable.

Moray Outfitting

nun-hunter has put a pretty sensible and reasoned view forward I think.

With a lot of things on here I think the Bar 'Gunfight advice' scene from Bob Hope's The Paleface seems apt - I do wish I could find the clip to post :D

Heym SR20

If on a budget get a fixed 6x42, 7x50 or 8x56 from s&b, Swarovski or zeiss with a 4a reticle. You will shoot any deer or fox that is within 200 yds and at any light this side of pitch dark. If you get a variable it will stay somewhere between 6 and 8 so why carry about extra weight and expense.

When shooting a live animal you need to be able to see around the target, see response of target to shot etc. With much above 8x you loose this and you get real tunnel vision.

Chasey

I started with a Swarovski 8X56 which is a great scope but not so good for short range woodland stuff as its too powerfull and also not great (IMHO) for long range over 150m stuff

So now I have 2.5-15-56 Swarovskis and they are perfict in every way except weight for walk and stalk

But thats thousands

On my .17HMR I have a Vortex HLR 4-16-50

Its fantastic, And it cost me about £500 with import costs

Vortex 4-16x 50mm Viper HS Rifle Scope | eBay

I would strongly recommend it as I cant see any great advantage against my £2000 Z6i Swarovskis except for the illuminated ret which is great at very first and last light but I have to say in 4 years I have never used it in anger.

I was so impressed I bought a 4 16 42 Diamondback Vortex scope for my .22 for 350.00

Again its hard to fault it

Frankly I am struggling to justifie the cost of the Z6i over the Vortex and cant recommend them highly enough

Feugh

Then spend the £350 on a S&B 8x56. Far superior in low light
+1. I have one, nothing wrong with it and I'd only upgrade if I started shooting long distance. For what I use it for (farm and forest roe, open hill reds) it fits the bill. Also there are no parallax or magnification to fart around with (which, IMO, is usually an advantage).

Claret_Dabbler

Think about whether or not you may end up doing some foxing with a NV add on. If so you will need something with side focus.
With all due respect to the OP, if a guy comes on here looking for scope advice on what I assume is his first deer rifle, he doesn't need a scope with side focus and a load of rubbish hung on.

The default advice which is always offered here is absolutely correct, if in any doubt, buy a big name 8x56 and call it good. If you can afford a big name 3-12x50, then that is even better. Do not get seduced by a high mag cheap scopes.

The tramp

I've spent/wasted loads of money on scopes in the past.
I now currently run a swarovski x5i 5-25×56 on my long range rig.
An IOR 4-14×50 on my 222 for foxing and smaller deer
Zeiss 3-12×50 on my 243 stalking rig
And a meopta 6x42 on the 300blk that does general use.

The meopta is a better scope than the zeiss in my eyes for general use.

The IOR does very well, and is up there with the Swarovski.

Oh, the hmr runs a cheap mtc that it came with, ok for daytime corvids, crap at low light.

I also have a thermal sight, but only use it as a spotter

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk