124DM

Hi all,

Seen similar older posts but as scope tech keeps moving on, thought I would ask the question now.

Looking along the lines of:

Zeiss V4 with 3 or 4 x starting mag with a 56 lens

or

Swarovski z6 (non ill) 2.5 - 15 with a 56 lens

or

Schmidt bender 2.5- 10 x 56 (classic type)

Now they are all different prices, although I am looking at the used market. Does one really really stand out in terms of the quality of nv you will get? Or are they similar enough?

I am certainly thinking German/Austria Glass with a 56 lens is the way forward? For getting the most out the unit.

For arguments sake, using a gen 3 grade A or grade B archer.

Thanks all in advance for your experiences and input.

I have had an Archer for 10 years or so. I first tried it with "best" scopes, S&B, Nightforce and Swaro. The picture was never as clear as I wanted, odd concentric rings on the lens which wouldn't go away no matter how clean the lenses were. Changed from the laser light to an LED and this improved, but still not perfect.

Then someone who knew what they were talking about explained that the poor picture was caused by the multiple coatings on the expensive lenses and that I should change to a cheaper brand of scope, recommending Sightron. I bought a Sightron S111 and the difference was amazing. Much better picture. Can thoroughly recommend them.

Thanks Nigel for your input.

It's all rather confusing, as I've seen that like you say, the night vision add-ons don't get on well with the upper scopes due to the coatings but that was with some digital add-on. On old posts I read regarding the Archer within a few different forums, alot were agreeing on the Z6 gen 2 non ill and the Schmidt PM series.

Some people were really liking the mid-range scopes though like the Bushnell 6500....

But I guess like you say, the source of the IR is a factor as well.

I will have a look into Sightron scopes

I've been using an Archer for the past fifteen years or so and along with the Longbow I still think these are probably the best NV units out there.

I've used my Archer on all sorts of scopes from Hawke to Swarovski and have to say that the very top of the range scopes don't perform quite as well as the mid to low range models. Possibly the best I have used, and still do, are a couple of Leupold scopes. IR is the key to getting the best from any NV, I find the Dragonfly probably best for the Longbow but a bit much for the Archer. Lately I've been using a Sirius XT which is very good with the Archer.

I use archers with swaro and S&B. High quality glass and adjustable parallax are what you need. Oh, and a clear eye lens, unlike swaro illuminated models. I sell Archer units and sell/repair them. Got one for sale if anyone’s interested!

Thats interesting. I use a Ward add on and with my Meostar r1 the range is vastly reduced and I have lots of artefacts in the view to the point its unusable. I swap to a sidewinder and the picture is brilliant.
Low starting mag is always handy to find a fast moving target. Side focus helps too.

Paired mine with a Meopta Meopro, no complaints from me.

Last edited:
Sightron s111,

I've tried
swaro
Leupold
Meopta
S&B

The Sightron is the one you just must try, so good i bought 2 both for use with Archer.

I have a swarm 2.5x15 gen two, is fine with nv, they do say the Leopold long range are the ones to use.

So guys, the Sightron S111 scopes you mention, what model are you talking about? I'm thinking about going for the 6-24 x 50 in first focal plane or would you go more for the 8-32 x 56? I was thinking 6 x is a better starting magnification than 8 x

Last edited:
The lower the mag the better. Trying to find a close fox with a narrow field of view is difficult. I regularly have the scope on 3 mag because you can be sure it will pop out close to you. 6/8 mag is ok if the fox is coming in from a distance and you can track it coming it.
Just saying....

Once you get below about 4x on the archer attached to a scope the sides close in and it doesn't improve the FOV at all. I use the 6-24x50 S111 and get on with it very well, but it's almost always set to 6x and rarely gets past 10. I used to have the 2.5-10 S111 but below about 4x there was no advantage and when using the rifle for longer range work in daylight without the archer attached I missed the higher zoom.

The lower the mag the better. Trying to find a close fox with a narrow field of view is difficult. I regularly have the scope on 3 mag because you can be sure it will pop out close to you. 6/8 mag is ok if the fox is coming in from a distance and you can track it coming it.
Just saying....

Missed having a shot on one last week, put a caller out at around 150yds.
Spotting with thermal.
We were watching one weaving through a wood from around 400yds off when one appeared from nowhere sat watching at about 50-70yds in front, just his head appeared over a little mound. As soon as the rifle was moved it's off like a rocket. The only way it could have got there was coming along side of the truck from behind.
It passed the same way the following night, it won't be doing that again.

Back