Bl88dy horse flies

hairycow

Anybody else had a sudden influx in the horrible little buggers, up until a week ago hardly seen any, the last few days they are bouncing, just tried to zero a rifle and have had to give in.
one has even bitten one of our dogs poor little bugger

Drum123

Strimming last week , i reckon i got bitten 20 plus times during the day.Swarms were lifting out of the rushes i was cutting.Luckily i dont react to them,my first headkeeper used to swell up like elephant man which for a sixteen year old YTS was highly amusing.

User00025

They ain't proper horse flies, they be "Old maids" or Cleggs. Very soft footed, but the real horsefly makes horses bolt as they whine like a stooka dive bomber and are black with a curly tail.The "Old maids" bite but don't make me swell.🪰🦟

Drum123

I must say we call them cleggs too but some do call them horse flies round here.Still annoying little buggers.

Farmer Geddon

They ain't proper horse flies, they be "Old maids" or Cleggs. Very soft footed, but the real horsefly makes horses bolt as they whine like a stooka dive bomber and are black with a curly tail.The "Old maids" bite but don't make me swell.🪰🦟
Beware of them Gadflies. they make the heifers go gadding about with their tails up in the air like periscopes.

Swedish

Anybody else had a sudden influx in the horrible little buggers, up until a week ago hardly seen any, the last few days they are bouncing, just tried to zero a rifle and have had to give in.
one has even bitten one of our dogs poor little bugger
Yep I was getting clegged (clegs are horseflies) last week in the garden. They seem earlier this year.

User00025

Yep I was getting clegged (clegs are horseflies) last week in the garden. They seem earlier this year.
Cleggs are only one species of tabanidae(I think that's how you spell it) there are several species including what I know as horseflies up to 1" long.

Swedish

Cleggs are only one species of tabanidae(I think that's how you spell it) there are several species including what I know as horseflies up to 1" long.
Indeed, I remember being bitten by some whoppers in the mountains of Southern Spain, they would leave a droplet of blood at the bite, very unpleasant!

wytonpjs

Out stalking first light yesterday and in one portion of a very large wood I was covered in them. Absolutely foul and not helped by me having just shot a second muntjac doe that just sucked them in. Thank God the rest of that Wood was not that bad :) Another 2 in the bag after that without similar plagues:D

Cut+Squirt

Here's my top tip for cleg bites.

Apply hand sanitizer to bite as soon as possible. . Nine times out of ten it comes to nothing, no itching, no pain or discomfort, no redness or swelling.

I'm guessing it kills any bacteria associated with the bite. Who knows but it works a treat.

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
:confused:

ColinBr

Managed to get a few clegg bites yesterday when out a walk with the dog.
Yup swelling and almost like blisters at the bite site.

Put some antiseptic cream on and took some antihistamines to try and dull down the itching/pain.

bluesako

one bite and im knackered i look like a cross between john merick and popeye i hate the feccers bs

ben0850

Here's my top tip for cleg bites.

Apply hand sanitizer to bite as soon as possible. . Nine times out of ten it comes to nothing, no itching, no pain or discomfort, no redness or swelling.

I'm guessing it kills any bacteria associated with the bite. Who knows but it works a treat.
I do exactly the same works a treat. July was always the worst month on the farm. I found that using Smidge actually stops getting bitten by the little beggars.