Boar in Herefordshire

CDSG Shooting Sports

8x57

Distinguished Member
There is a large amount of wold boar in the Ross on wye area, in particular, the woods to the south/east of A40. large open are where they ravage the ground before heading back into the woods.
What Penyard? :)

Penyard

Also known as Chase and Penyard woods. They’ve been there over 20 years. I think this thread was about boar in new places away from known strongholds further in to Herefordshire. Recent confirmed sightings in Pencoyd and I have seen boar rooting 2 weeks ago on a mates farm in Garway. Meanwhile locals continue shooting sows with piglets and all I am seeing at the moment is orphans and the odd sow with youngsters. A sorry state of affairs.

starr shot

Also known as Chase and Penyard woods. They’ve been there over 20 years. I think this thread was about boar in new places away from known strongholds further in to Herefordshire. Recent confirmed sightings in Pencoyd and I have seen boar rooting 2 weeks ago on a mates farm in Garway. Meanwhile locals continue shooting sows with piglets and all I am seeing at the moment is orphans and the odd sow with youngsters. A sorry state of affairs.
Perhaps we ought to have a DSC1 type training for Boar control.

8x57

Distinguished Member
all I am seeing at the moment is orphans and the odd sow with youngsters. A sorry state of affairs.
Not quite your area Penyard but my mate sent me a video from his thermal of boar he saw one night a few weeks ago on one field the other side of the FOD. Certainly no shortage of mature boar over there.

Jelen

We havent got any in West Wales
You had at least one. I stayed on Skomer for a few days photographing Puffins in the late 90's. In the little visitor hut I saw a Muntjac buck skull and enquired as to why it was there on an island. The permanent staff said it was found on the shore in a weak condition and wet through. They tried to save it but it died.
So, as they say "There it was, gone"

Bryan H

They are migrating north from there as the media produced that picture that was mentioned.

karamoja

A few hundred yards outside Hereford last week.

Attachments

• PXL_20210427_054452579.jpg
    PXL_20210427_054452579.jpg
    717.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20210427_054434433.jpg
    PXL_20210427_054434433.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 57

243varmint

A few hundred yards outside Hereford last week.
Not surprising, there's a nice belt of woodland going to the right of that dead munty. I've seen one dead on the side of the road north of the city. Right where the first house is. So looks like there might be a suburban population.
They are definitely moving in big time now.

Penyard

I’m not convinced that some of these boar popping up 10+ miles from established populations are necessarily getting there unassisted. No evidence, just a hunch. After all, there have been boar in Chase and Penyard woods for over 20 years yet they have only been seen or shot only twice the other side on the Walford road twice in all that time.

243varmint

I’m not convinced that some of these boar popping up 10+ miles from established populations are necessarily getting there unassisted. No evidence, just a hunch. After all, there have been boar in Chase and Penyard woods for over 20 years yet they have only been seen or shot only twice the other side on the Walford road twice in all that time.

I think you're right.
They are pretty much hefted in those areas.
Maybe Ivor Williams is busy again🤔

rms364

You had at least one. I stayed on Skomer for a few days photographing Puffins in the late 90's. In the little visitor hut I saw a Muntjac buck skull and enquired as to why it was there on an island. The permanent staff said it was found on the shore in a weak condition and wet through. They tried to save it but it died.
So, as they say "There it was, gone"
Swam over from Ireland!!😂

Heym SR20

Talking with German friend who is a Forstmeister, boar will move 20km in a night, and if they are being disturbed they can travel a long way to find somewhere with a bit of peace and quiet.

Ukhunter

Boar can and do move a long way. They can easily cover 30 to 40km in a night and will do so if under pressure from hunting or lack of food or water, or indeed flooding as has been happening down on the Wye.

Lone boar are likely to be young adults being kicked out of sounders by their mothers - and will happen when they get to 12 / 18 months old. They will spread out and look for new territories. Can also be due to the matriarchal sow having been shot so the natural group breaks up. I have told never to shoot the lead female as that causes the younger ones to run riot.
That’s right. If you shot the Bache mean the oldest female Sau then every female Sau get pregnant in the next two to four weeks.

Attachments

• 954AEFD9-74E3-4738-B4E3-89BB5D52DB31.jpeg
    954AEFD9-74E3-4738-B4E3-89BB5D52DB31.jpeg
    744.2 KB · Views: 14
CDSG Shooting Sports