DURACOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tee2, I think you.ve got the spelling slightly wrong. The company that does the paint treatment of rifles is JAGER sporting arms ( sorry can't work out how to do the two little dots over the A. Jagare is that kindly old knowledgeable man that lives in the snowy lands near the north pole. I think he's realy father Christmas and doubles as an ex-pat He is probably too busy readying his sleigh team at the moment to point out the subtle differences in spelling between the German and Swedish word for hunter.

T2

It's my intention to compare both offerings prior to a decision as to what to use on the rifle.

I can only give my (non technical) opinion based on what I see.

It that is of help to anyone, all to the good.

rgds Ian :)

Ian

By my calculations there are 3 offerings. The Jager Sporting coating service , the Midway Duracoat DIY ,and the Homebase spay can.

Will you be looking at all 3 or just the first and last?

Tee2 said:
Ian

By my calculations there are 3 offerings. The Jager Sporting coating service , the Midway Duracoat DIY ,and the Homebase spay can.

Will you be looking at all 3 or just the first and last?

Looking on the Midway UK site it doesnt appear to show a Duracoat DIY kit, my guess is they dont offer it. I also looked at the price of the templates they offer, wow they are not cheap!!! :eek:

T2

I will only have the opportunity to compare the Duracote DIY kit and the Homebase can.

Again, not a technical test - more a comparison with DIY coating in mind!

Rgds Ian

ian f
as you said in 1 of your posts after 5 years of abuse my rifle needs a recoat
it might be an idea to get your barrel checked for wear or firecracking
as a new tube or even a new boom stick for your christmas might be in order
as for duracoat in a tin lets just leave sleeping dogs lie boys
all the best bruxie

Ian

Great!

I was looking at the Midway DIY stuff myself. Will you be doing the full monty i.e barrel,action, stock and scope. Or just the barrel and action?

Tee2 said:
Ian

Great!

I was looking at the Midway DIY stuff myself. Will you be doing the full monty i.e barrel,action, stock and scope. Or just the barrel and action?

Have I missed something Tee2? I couldnt see the DIY kit on Midway...post a link for me please?

bruxie hill said:
ian f
as you said in 1 of your posts after 5 years of abuse my rifle needs a recoat
it might be an idea to get your barrel checked for wear or firecracking
as a new tube or even a new boom stick for your christmas might be in order
as for duracoat in a tin lets just leave sleeping dogs lie boys
all the best bruxie

Bruxie

Mate - you are just looking for excuses! :) This thing is the bane of my life - bought it for a couple hundred quid including a scope. This was back in the days when moderators were only common on .22s! Needed a quiet cf, so I chopped it to 14.5", recrowned and shoved an LEI can on the end. Damn thing grouped to 1/2"!!

Nowadays, it looks like its had a hard life - but still obstinately groups to 3/4" when I do my bit! Just can't justify binning it until the thing stops shooting.

Accordingly, this will likely be a complete recoat of stock/barrel/action. Should keep me going for another few years!

Rgds Ian

silent stalker said:
Tee2 said:
Ian

Great!

Have I missed something Tee2? I couldnt see the DIY kit on Midway...post a link for me please?

SS

I hope this works

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...ategoryId=11335&categoryString=649***10400***

The Duracoat products start with the 3rd item down the page and go on for the next 7 pages :eek:

Ian it looks like you will need to just try the stuff at a fiver and let us know what you think. If its not up to it i am sure you will let us know.
PS REMEBER TO READ THE INSTRUCTION OR YOU COULD BE IN FOR A NASTY SHOCK :lol: :lol:

So let us have a logical look at this......

Midway US are charging $29 for their product, while Home-base are charging £5 for the same product but without any hardening compound.

At todays exchange rate, $29 equals £19.3589 so Home base are making a loss of roughly £14 and that's without adding VAT, carriage and import duty and the license for importing a very hazardous product.

I would urge anyone wanting to use this product to get to Home base quickly as at this rate they will be following Woolworth's.

One more thing, if it's the same paint why do Homebase have four colour choices and Lauer have a choice of twenty plus?

Genius!

I've sprayed several stocks with Lauer's Duracoat, it is something completely different to anything that comes out of a super market rattle can. It smells different, it dries different, it applies different. Result is a very hard wearing paint that has an incredibly strong adhesion to the surface. If one thinks two pack car paint is good, forget it, duracoat is far far better.
The supermarket spray is also very good, if you are looking for a temporary job. Otherwise it's a waste of time. Who actually manufactures that spray can, isn't it written on the can?
edi

ejg said:
I've sprayed several stocks with Lauer's Duracoat, it is something completely different to anything that comes out of a super market rattle can. It smells different, it dries different, it applies different. Result is a very hard wearing paint that has an incredibly strong adhesion to the surface. If one thinks two pack car paint is good, forget it, duracoat is far far better.
The supermarket spray is also very good, if you are looking for a temporary job. Otherwise it's a waste of time. Who actually manufactures that spray can, isn't it written on the can?
edi

Obviously a man in the know! :lol:

I went to Homebase and had a look at the Multi Surface Duracoat...it says Produced for Homebase Ltd. I have also taken the liberty of emailing Duracoat and they do not, I repeat do not manufacture Duracoat for Homebase!!! :lol:
I also looked at the classification of LCW Duracoat, it has a MIL Spec registration, which is why the military use it...I dont see that on the homebase can of multi surface spray paint...! :lol:

Some good input on this thread, im glad to see that we can all get along with our differing opinions without using handbags or rattles! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no wish to become embroiled in, what appears to me, is a fairly sterile attempt to denigrate Lauers Duracoat and the only Company in UK that has taken the trouble to be trained in the application of the Lauer product.

However, FWIW I have a rifle that has been coated by Jager Sporting Arms and I am very satisfied with both the customer service offered and the final product. IF... anyone wishes to discuss these points on a non technical basis, please feel free to PM me.

ATB

T260

4 pagers of some of the best advertising for duracoat and y you should use the proper stuff that i have read so far anywhere.you have to be happy with that silent stalker.i think you o 6.5x55 a thank you :lol: :lol:

thanks
cam

I have had two rifles coated with Durocoat by James at Jaeger Sporting Arms. I'm extremely happy with the quality of work and the service I received, I was kept informed of the progress and the procedure, and both rifles were completed in the time frame given.

Here's an example, the stock and the scope have been coated.
PICT0021.jpg

Spectacular own goal 6.5x55.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back