Hello - novice looking to learn

adsbarrow

Hi Everyone,

My name is Adam, from Surrey. I've done target shooting since school but only got my FAC last year so still building my armoury (currently .22, .308 and Section 1 shotgun). I'm close to Bisley so I try to get as much range time as possible to get my (target) shooting skills up to par.

I'm an aspiring hunter with absolutely no experience stalking or hunting of any kind, so I'm looking to do lots of research and learning on how to get started. To be honest, it is proving tricky to find good info online on how to get started other than shell out ££££s on a stalking course. If that's the only way then that's fine, but I'm hoping I can tap into the knowledge and experience on here and figure out how to get started.

Any advice or tips are always welcome :)

Ray7756

Welcome Adam
Doing a DSC1 course is the way to go, as you move on through your stalking journey, you will find the DSC qualifications invaluable, but having said that you could get some paid stalking and learn that way
Nomater which way you go you will have to "pay for your education" its your choice on how you do it
Cheers
Ray

musketsmoke

Hello Adam

we have a small non club but nice people who shoot together we go regularly if you want to join us please pm me and lets see what we can do to help you achieve what you want to do

jimbo1984

Welcome Adam
Doing a DSC1 course is the way to go, as you move on through your stalking journey, you will find the DSC qualifications invaluable, but having said that you could get some paid stalking and learn that way
Nomater which way you go you will have to "pay for your education" its your choice on how you do it
Cheers
Ray
If they're so invaluable how come there's so many looking for stalking with Dsc 1+2 first aid etc ? Your right that in one way or another you'll have to pay but I think personally if I was starting out I'd just take some paid stalks with a pro , you learn way more that way ,

jimbo1984

Find someone local to you mate who'll take you out or book some paid stalks time spent in the field is a lot more educational than in a classroom , all the best on your stalking journey

Sika-Hunter

Hi
I think just going out with an experienced Stalker first would be a great option, I have taken people who really wanted to try their hand a Stalking and after a couple of outings found out it wasn't for them but others have gone on and loved it. So I would say before you spend £££'s just go out and see what its all about .
Good Luck and there are plenty of people willing to help i'm sure.

Ray7756

If they're so invaluable how come there's so many looking for stalking with Dsc 1+2 first aid etc ? Your right that in one way or another you'll have to pay but I think personally if I was starting out I'd just take some paid stalks with a pro , you learn way more that way ,
Simply because with FC and lots of estates you wont get a lease without them, so if you want tyo lease stalking you need DSC1 or 2 plus lots of other quals

Ray7756

Easily solved by getting private permissions
Mmmm I told the guy he could go either way,, dsc or private days stalking, and yes he can find his own stalking,,, I gave him the options that were available to him,,,,,, you on the other hand want to say that your advice is the only advice worth looking at,,,,, ffs grow up and stop being a dkhead

jimbo1984

Mmmm I told the guy he could go either way,, dsc or private days stalking, and yes he can find his own stalking,,, I gave him the options that were available to him,,,,,, you on the other hand want to say that your advice is the only advice worth looking at,,,,, ffs grow up and stop being a dkhead
I didn't really though did I ? I just didn't want to see another novice told that the Dsc system will get them permissions as many seem to be told that and as I said earlier looking at the amount of stalking wanted ads that's clearly not the case , now if you'll excuse me I'm off lamping take care sweetheart

adsbarrow

Thanks for all the replies, it's really encouraging to see all of the support. Also really interesting to see the difference of opinion. I'm excited to get stuck in!

Broadarrow

Welcome Adam
Cheers
Ray
+1.