Quad Sticks: Viper-Flex STYX, Seeland and Primos Trigger

Leica Amplus 6

dz0rpw

Hi All,

Not so much a product placement but just in case anyone is looking at Quad sticks, I've just gone through the following.

As I'm sure all you guys are aware the DSC 1 requires a shooting assessment and after trying to get some practice in the sitting position...I quickly realised that the good living (read large belly) is a hindrance and I required some support. My much loved garden-pole quad sticks work great when standing but are unusable when sitting. So I need to look around.

Firstly I purchased a set of Seeland Decoy sticks, the latest model as the newer model allows you to use them sat down. However, after Bushwear sent them (great service by the way) they were in fact the old model. Upon calling them to complain they said they would take it up with Seeland. To Bushwears shock and Seelands...Seeland confirmed that their latest delivery from China...was wrong and was in fact the old model...so they don't have the latest and couldn't tell me when they would have them in (that's Seeland...not the reseller). They kindly offered to take them back.

Bushwear then suggested the Primos Trigger stick and I must admit the youtube reviews state they are good. So...I swapped the Seeland for the Primos + the 2-point rest. Once they arrived and I tried them...jelly. The legs are fine but the Gen 3 handle is plastic and couldn't take the weight of my x-bolt. So they went back...

Looking around I noticed the Viper-Flex had rave reviews but you needed to buy the poles and then add 'go-lo' hinges to use them sat down (and another £45). In researching this product I noted that they were about to release a new product called 'STYX' which among other new or updated features ...could now go-lo. However they weren't available just yet.

So in tandem I reached out to a company called Best Deer Call (who appeared to do most of the youtube reviews) and the manufacturer themselves. Best Deer Call where fantastic and said they didn't know when the new STYX were coming in (any week) but as I needed them for the 18th of this month...if they don't come in on time..."you can borrow an old model"...now that's good old customer service! At the same time the manufacturer responded with "we can send you the new model tomorrow"...and they did. The postage was high (24hr from Denmark)...but get this...they apologised for the cost and threw in the extra leg...once again...great customer service.

First impressions are...they are a mile away in quality to the older model Seelands...just worlds apart...the Viper ones are top notch. I'll have them out in the field this weekend but initial impressions are it's like walking around with a benchrest...just solid and safe.

Now I know some people have issues with 'aids', so sorry if this offends. I know my own limitations and I'm not taking a shot at anything other than paper without some support. My call.

Hope it helps if anyone else is looking.

Miki

I bought some Seeland sticks (from Bushwear/great service and price) but had the occasional difficulty with them as the front rest (which is wider than the stock and allows you to track the rifle) flopped over when I was near to the edges. Tightening the screws helped a little but in the end I put two M4 set screws in the notches where the legs sit and they are much improved.

I do use my sticks a lot and will probably treat myself one day to a pair of Vipers STYX which are getting good reviews.

Colonel

I have the Viper travel and they are really good but I have seen the new ones and I have to say they are very good, you can extend them to use for sitting or kneeling and with the aid of a lever on the side of the front section you can open them up with one hand. The front rest on the new sticks are wider which will allow about 7yds travel each way at 100yds, the rear rest is also wider so it’s quicker getting the stock in. I hope Viper will do a up grade kit.

Last edited:

User00003

I prefer two hazel canes tied with inner tube. But when quad sticks are called for, I find nothing better than tony’s (Limulus?) sticks. Reasons are that I prefer wood and natural materials, but the tall V’s really secure the rifle so I have found them far more sturdy than their synthetic counterparts..

8x57

Distinguished Member
Firstly I purchased a set of Seeland Decoy sticks, the latest model as the newer model allows you to use them sat down. However, after Bushwear sent them (great service by the way) they were in fact the old model. Upon calling them to complain they said they would take it up with Seeland. To Bushwears shock and Seelands...Seeland confirmed that their latest delivery from China...was wrong and was in fact the old model...so they don't have the latest and couldn't tell me when they would have them in (that's Seeland...not the reseller). They kindly offered to take them back.

You missed nothing with the new "improved" model of Seeland sticks. The older version works, the newer "improved" go-low version is a nightmare. They simply don't work, and probably why the Chinese never sent them over.

Alantoo

snip...

As I'm sure all you guys are aware the DSC 1 requires a shooting assessment and after trying to get some practice in the sitting position...I quickly realised that the good living (read large belly) is a hindrance and I required some support. My much loved garden-pole quad sticks work great when standing but are unusable when sitting. So I need to look around.snip...

Hope it helps if anyone else is looking.

You might consider kneeling instead of sitting for the 70m shots in the DSC1 test. I found my back much preferred kneeling to sitting.

I bought some Seeland sticks (from Bushwear/great service and price) but had the occasional difficulty with them as the front rest (which is wider than the stock and allows you to track the rifle) flopped over when I was near to the edges. Tightening the screws helped a little but in the end I put two M4 set screws in the notches where the legs sit and they are much improved.

I do use my sticks a lot and will probably treat myself one day to a pair of Vipers STYX which are getting good reviews.

A friend brought his Seeland sticks to a BDS range day and was demonstrating the advantage of reversing the sticks and using the wider rest under the stock rather than the forend, might be worth a try.

I prefer two hazel canes tied with inner tube. But when quad sticks are called for, I find nothing better than tony’s (Limulus?) sticks. Reasons are that I prefer wood and natural materials, but the tall V’s really secure the rifle so I have found them far more sturdy than their synthetic counterparts..

The rattle of a few bits of wood is much less alien a woodland sound than the clatter and ring of my aluminium Bogpod tripod.

I have relied on Tony's quad sticks on a number of occasions to keep me upright when traversing an obstacle...prevented me from going horizontal in a stream on lots of occasions now, and invaluable on steep banks.

Alan

dz0rpw

Brief update:

umm...I can't figure out why I haven't bought these before. It's honestly like walking around with a benchrest.

The new handle is so simple it's a wonder no one has ever designed it before...just works.
Everything is new and a bit tight but I'm sure it will all bed-in soon. I would rather it tight than loose.
The legs are a bit awkward to move up and down as the 'twist' needs to happen on both legs but it's something I'll work on.
The craftsmanship is first class and the welding at the bottom joining the poles...classy

I guess some may say they are not light but I think they are manageable and sturdy, which gives you confidence.
Sitting/kneeling is no longer a problem. Sub-moa, not a problem.

With the extra leg it will comfortably take the weight of my varmint x-bolt and allows me to glass the field.

Standing up, rabbit headshot at 128yrds (with a.22lr before anyone asks). Like I said, benchrest steady so you can only blame yourself if you miss.

Out again tonight and they will be the first thing placed in the car.

Cheers.

BRACES of Bristol - Dark Fox Package, Mauser M12, LIEMKE Thermal Scope, Wildcat Mod