Rifle barrel painting

J0RD4N

Hi everyone. I've been curious about painting rifle barrels and looking online to see.
Does it have to be special paint for guns or can it be the high temp stuff you get for engine blocks and exhausts.
Some guys say you can and others say no. But I can't see why no because the high temp paint is usually up to 500-600 degrees.
so just wanting to see out of curiosity.

Muir

Hi everyone. I've been curious about painting rifle barrels and looking online to see.
Does it have to be special paint for guns or can it be the high temp stuff you get for engine blocks and exhausts.
Some guys say you can and others say no. But I can't see why no because the high temp paint is usually up to 500-600 degrees.
Where I live we call that a "rattle can" finish. Yes. You can do it. You don't need super high temp paints, either. I have painted the barrel of my FN 6.5x55 a dull olive drab green using a high grade enamel paint. I have scratched the finish but it's a 'psssst! psssst!" away from refinish when I want to bother. I also completely painted the metal work of a Savage 110E, 223 in the same color. Still holding up fine. Both of these guns are hard working rifles. They get banged around more than most so this is the perfect finish.~Muir

J0RD4N

Thanks for the reply Muir. I'm thinking about doing my HMR now. It's the same pretty banged about if it's not the pick up it's on the quad.

stalkerboydy

Good to your B&Q-Homebase etc buy a spray tin of Rustolene ( spelt wrong) grey under coat and tin of your choice of colour. Wipe parts barrel etc with Meths/White Spirts under coat spray top coat job done .
I've done several Rifles and Shotguns i use for coastal Wildfowling and it lasts for years

griffshrek

I've done several rifles in spray paint , Krylon paint is good and has several Matt muted colours.

The best I've found is car spray paint from a car paint shop , the colour is matt Nato green ( I think) with a can of matt lacquer over the top for durability .

It's lasted 2-3 yrs so far and has only had a few minor touch ups , this is my foxing gun a it does get used on a regular basis.

I think the primer , paint and lacqure came to £27 .

tomblincoe

For not alot more money you could look at getting the barrel cerakoted. Much more durable and smart looking finish. Jager SA (James) on here did a great job of my rifle.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk