'Tis The Season to be Jolly...................Indeed

User00004

Well I got the phone call tonight I have been wanting to get for what seems like ages......

I have been "Helping" on a bit of ground, trying to assess tree damage, deer numbers etc. for the last couple of months in the hope I got the Stalking on it.

:D I GOT IT :D 1000 acres of ex-forrestry plantation, some good rides with some open heather clad ground.

I have it up until April when I deploy then I just need to discuss if I still want to keep it even though I will be away for 6 months, I'm made up to be honest. Will be my first true "Unaccompanied" stalking ground.

I will be priming, weighing, and seating some 150gr .308's in about 5 mins time in the hope that I come accross some of those Red, Sika or Roe that I have seen on my last walks over the ground. I will be on the ground about 7am tomorrow, scared sh**less as it will be pitch black, but hopefully in the area I am going to sit out in will prove to be the spot, then I'll go for a stalk through half the ground, hoping again to bump into a beast or 2.

If I remember, I'll take the camera and get some pics loaded tomorrow, even better if I have a Doe/Hind or 2 in the bag.

TJ

HAHA, well done Stu, I am bloody made up for you, that`s bloody great news. :p
What better present could Santa have brought you, eh mate? ;)

Let us all know how you get on. ;)

wadas

Well done TJ good result mate and wish you well on the ground what deer will you bump into on this ground

TJ

Fantastic result - right in time for Christmas! Look forward to hearing how tomorrow goes. Be sure to take plenty of photos - it's always interesting to see other stalking ground....well, I find it interesting anyway :D

Reminds me of the time I went to the Tour de France prolog in London and took photos at Hyde Park Corner. When I got back my wife looked at three and then asked "is every photo here of some cyclist going past the same corner"? When I said yes, she walked off! :confused:

willie_gunn

tartinjock said:
..snip
I will be on the ground about 7am tomorrow, scared sh**less as it will be pitch black, but hopefully in the area I am going to sit out in will prove to be the spot, then I'll go for a stalk through half the ground, hoping again to bump into a beast or 2.
..snip
TJ

Good for you TJ I know you've been working hard at it. 5 am start and I sat in the snow from 7.15 this morning watching the same family of Roe wandering around. It was great, you'll love it. Big moon right now, even through the clouds.

S.

Congrats
great write up, the excitement does not go away no matter how many perms you have. pleased for you and good luck.
will think of you as i get the rifle out and set off myself in the morning.
cervushunter

excellent news TJ
can't wait to see a few pics of this new adventure you are about to embark on
good luck for the morning ;)

Cheers everyone, alot of the ground work has been done by this site and it's members, I have had nothing but help from this site and the members on it, so a BIG THANK YOU to all the site members who have answered all my queeries, invited me out and given me the education I now have.

Cheers

TJ

Well done Stu,

I would not be surprised if you found reindeer on there, given the season and your Xmas present.

John

tartinjock said:
Well I got the phone call tonight I have been wanting to get for what seems like ages......

I have been "Helping" on a bit of ground, trying to assess tree damage, deer numbers etc. for the last couple of months in the hope I got the Stalking on it.

:D I GOT IT :D 1000 acres of ex-forrestry plantation, some good rides with some open heather clad ground.

I have it up until April when I deploy then I just need to discuss if I still want to keep it even though I will be away for 6 months, I'm made up to be honest. Will be my first true "Unaccompanied" stalking ground.

I will be priming, weighing, and seating some 150gr .308's in about 5 mins time in the hope that I come accross some of those Red, Sika or Roe that I have seen on my last walks over the ground. I will be on the ground about 7am tomorrow, scared sh**less as it will be pitch black, but hopefully in the area I am going to sit out in will prove to be the spot, then I'll go for a stalk through half the ground, hoping again to bump into a beast or 2.

If I remember, I'll take the camera and get some pics loaded tomorrow, even better if I have a Doe/Hind or 2 in the bag.

TJ
Well done TJ. nice xmas present, good luck tomorrow, Atb ye old stalker

Stuart
Its a rush ! enjoy it and feel the Stag as Baldy Sean said in Highlander!! :lol: Truly well done , and get out there !.
Trapper

Well done TJ, it should not take much to decide about keeping it when your away.
Once you have got it keep it as once you let it go you won get it back!!
I hope you enjoy what you now have and look forward to some pics.
ATB

Tony

GUTTED, GUTTED, GUTTED.

Typical I suppose, I was on the ground about 07.20, nice and early ready for sun rise. Not a hint of a breeze either, not the best........ :rolleyes:

The place I had chosen to lay up, I have seen 8 deer there on the last couple of visits. This time nothing moving what so ever!! :cry:

I was a bit "Humming and Hawing" this morning when I got up, it has gone very mild here and it has obviously thawed the ground out and it has brought the rain also, the ground was not helping, every step has a SQUELCH that must travel over 100m, I persevered. I spotted a Doe about 400m away up a ride, "That's a long way" I heard myself saying to my self, I must have got about 50m closer and she was off......
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I continued through various rides and tracks, I spotted another 6 Roe Does some with yearling calfs some without, unfortunatley, they had all spotted me, or certinally heard me squelching through the heather covered bog......

The only 4 deer that I think I could have hand fed were 4 Sika Stags, they were not bothered one bit by me being there, carried on as if all was normal. Strange, there was a batchler group of 4 over the other side of the ground about a month ago, and they also were not bothered by me. This is a different group though, no prickets this time.

I continued on, I spotted a further 2 Sika Stags and one more Doe. A good deer count, but that's it....... Hopefully there will be a frost down next week, make my life slightly easier. I had every intention to take some pics but I was that disheartened I didn't bother..... :( :(

Anyway, atleast I have the ground, so I'm not to upset

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sounds like a good morning out ever though. You will just need to keep at them. Your time will come and it will make it even more special.

Keep the stories coming.

ATB

Ads ;)

That's life Stu .. we have driven all the way to Wakes saw sod all where there have always been deer each time we went out after game..

Anyway congrats on the new ground mate :D sure a man of your resolve will soon have the freezer full ;)

Congratulations on getting the ground TJ, its a shame about this morning, but there'll be plenty more chances to bag a beast now you have the permission.

Gez

Back