Variation .22 FAC Air to .22RF?

Sighthound

When I applied for my FAC last year I asked for a .308 for deer stalking and a .22RF.

Didn’t really want the .22RF, it was just there be used as an expandable concession to get the .308 for stalking as a first grant (held FAC previously some years back, but only for target shooting).

Anyway, I got a much harder time over the rimfire than the centrefire and the upshot was that the 22RF was knocked back to FAC air and the .308 went through.

The FEO’s reservations were based on the fact that while I had plenty of range experience I had not been out on my own in the countryside and therefore could not prove that I had the judgment required to be safe shot in terms of backstops/ ricochet etc. (I can only assume that as most of our deer control is carried out from highseats as part of a co-ordinated team cull he was thought the risk of me sending a bullet to the next town with the .308 was relatively lower).

I wasn’t bothered at the time as I got what I wanted, but I’m starting to do an increasingly amount of pest control around the release pens on the shoot and a .22RF to deal with rabbits, squirrels (on the ground) and the occasional very close range fox would now be a really useful tool.

My question is, if I put in for a variation (.22 FAC Air to .22RF) on a unfilled slot is this something that is likely to be dealt with as a 1-for-1 by the Firearms Licensing Manager or will the FEO visit me as if I am adding an additional slot and put me through the mangle again?

I probably won’t bother if it’s the later, although I could argue that as I have shot deer and fox on my own in the interim I can justify that I can now exercise safe judgement...

(BTW Thames Valley Police is my licensing authority).

What do you think?

Eric the Red

Ah - TVP again.....

The simple fact is that if you have good cause, you should be granted what you need. I would put in a variation for the 22LR as well - in fact add 223 or similar as well - you may give them something to knock back if nothing else.
I would just be very clear and strong and not allow them to say no.

Whitebeard

Licensing guidelines state that if you are asking for variation to move up to a larger/greater calibre a visit from a FEO is most likely, you have good reason for a 22LR so wont be a problem.

Ian.

Heym SR20

I get the FEOs concerns re 22rf and certainly on the stony /flinty downlands ricochets with a 22lr are a real issue. Might be worth thinking about a 17 Mach 2, 17 hmr or 17 Hornet - not as cheap to run as a 22lr but more range and not as prone to ricochet.

srvet

I get the FEOs concerns re 22rf and certainly on the stony /flinty downlands ricochets with a 22lr are a real issue. Might be worth thinking about a 17 Mach 2, 17 hmr or 17 Hornet - not as cheap to run as a 22lr but more range and not as prone to ricochet.
I would agree with this, the 22rf is prone to ricochet. Since I have acquired a 17 Remington the 22 is hardly ever used and I think you may be better server with a small CF with an air Gun or shotgun for tree borne pests

Sighthound

Thanks all, for your responses.

Seems .17 is the way to go -

an avenue that I had not, until now, considered.

Gunner223

I was in a similar position, so I kept the fac air rifle and put in for a 17 Hornet, now ive got one and what a fantastic little gun should have done it ages ago.

kimh

so you have 22fac and 308?
go 17hmr or 22hornet as they don't like 22rf in the field, there are cases to refer back too!! so they have good reason to refuse and some good reason?

use your ground, know your ground, OPEN your ground so access is acceptable to the shiny shoes :)

SHOW GOOD REASON

countrryboy

Makes u wonder how we ever coped before 17's were really developed/popular and all we had was a 22lr.

The 17 and 22 are quite different rifles for quite different jobs in my opinion, if u have a lot of rabbits or fancy doing more lamping the 22lr is the tool for the job but u do have to be aware of backstops/richocets risks slightly more than other calibres.
With u already having the FAC air it may cover some of that, althou if ur shooting decent numbers i couldn't be bothered with the faffing about filling it up with air.

personally i like a 22lr in about the pens as nice and quiet also very chep for ammo

Are the 17hmr's not beginning to go out of fashion now with the ammo issue??

DAVIDAIKEN

Makes u wonder how we ever coped before 17's were really developed/popular and all we had was a 22lr.

The 17 and 22 are quite different rifles for quite different jobs in my opinion, if u have a lot of rabbits or fancy doing more lamping the 22lr is the tool for the job but u do have to be aware of backstops/richocets risks slightly more than other calibres.
With u already having the FAC air it may cover some of that, althou if ur shooting decent numbers i couldn't be bothered with the faffing about filling it up with air.

personally i like a 22lr in about the pens as nice and quiet also very chep for ammo

Are the 17hmr's not beginning to go out of fashion now with the ammo issue??
They are with me! Only had my 17hmr for a year and in that time the ammo has gone from £11.00 for a box of 50 to £17.95 (Kent) That's if you can even find the stuff (Bearstead Gun Supplies - Countryway Stores - Platoon Stores all have none, and haven't had of most of this year) I can go to any RFD and pick up CCI .22lr @ just £8.00 for ONE HUNDRED ROUNDS! Its no good having a great round if when you get down to 50 rounds the panic sets in as to where the next box will come from. Also, the fact most (Bisley definitely) ranges won't alow the use of .17hmr the fun day out at the range just ain't going to happen!

Sauer90

A little but I bet it will be still clocking 3600fps rather than the 4000fps with 25 grainers. Doubt a bunny inside 250 yards will care.
Yeah, have a slot for another 17rem liked the sako but short barrel put me off.

jb1

The Sako A1 that is for sale is really a bloody good buy, even as a donor action to pass on to a gun smith to rebarrel. You can put whatever chamber you wanted in the 17s. That action would cost in excess of £350.00 if you bought it from a dealer.

RedOctober

I have always found the direct approach works best in these matters. Ring them up and say what you want and why you want it and then ask for their advice! Most important of all be polite and talk to them as people and not somebody you are preparing to do battle with.
Diplomacy is the art of letting somebody else have your way.