Is this Wild Boar damage

dodgyknees

This is what pig damage NZ style looks like. These clearings were nice green pasture holding fat red deer not long ago. Now it looks like an A10 has been going bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttt all over it.

20200815_122747.jpg

20200815_123423.jpg

Tom D

If the underlying ground is rough with stones etc it will look like the NZ picture above. If it’s a lawn or sports turf it will peel off big sections of turf. 3 Tamworth pigs got out from the farm next door a while back. They got into someone’s garden. The farmer was away and rang me to get them back in. I saw them rooting on a lawn the speed that they can lift turf at is scary. I’ve seen extensive badger damage too and I’d say that the op’s pictures are boar. Some of those lumps of turf look far too heavy to have been lifted by a 15 kg badger.

Orion

Doesn’t look deep enough for pig damage.

The turf almost rolled back like that is what I’ve seen as result of badgers going after leatherjackets and chafers - although that does appear to be very extensive in area!

Badgers Destroy Cricket Pitch
(scroll down for the video)

Alantoo

Doesn’t look deep enough for pig damage.

The thickness of turf rolled back would more likely be determined by the turf construction and the depth of the target food rather than animal size I would think...badgers are quite capable of digging a tunnel so a few inches of turf wouldn't worry...and pigs wouldn't bother to turn over 100mm of turf if the food they were after was at 50mm...

Can't really see from the OP photo or the video you linked to as to whether it was all done at the same time, or over a series of nights which could help explain the area size.

Alan

chaz243

Badgers looking for worms and leather jackets. Have watched them doing this from a high seat on a local permission where we have no wild boar at all .. yet!! . boar damage would be more severe .check out wakehurst place lawn damage and compare .👍👍

mereside

Badgers looking for worms and leather jackets. Have watched them doing this from a high seat on a local permission where we have no wild boar at all .. yet!! . boar damage would be more severe .check out wakehurst place lawn damage and compare .👍👍
I don't think NZ has badgers so rules them out :rofl:

jon2

I would say badgers. Exactly the same as our lawn last year. Wrote the lawn off and not a lot you can do about it either.

Last edited:

EMcC

52 posts and still not certain, for goodness sake get out and look for slots, that will tell you one way or the other for certain.
If it was pigs I would have expected to see or smell some dung as well.

countrryboy

52 posts and still not certain, for goodness sake get out and look for slots, that will tell you one way or the other for certain.
If it was pigs I would have expected to see or smell some dung as well.

As many have said it could be either or.
Seen badgers rip up turf on the endriggs u'd have thought the farmer had ploughed the field. Quite rare to see it as extreme ( atleast where I live as not mentally over run with badgers) but it definately could be them if at high enough density

But does also look like boar damage.

Tracks or sh*the is the way forward.
Probably more likely to be badger just as they are more widely spread.

Brittany boy

Did you ever get a definitive answer to this one, late to the post , I’ve got badgers on most of my permissions and never seen anything like this but not in any great numbers. ?

Heym SR20

Is it Leatherjackets? When you get a big infestation they pretty much take all the root system from under the turf - almost like taking a turf cutter to the turfs.

Then all manner of crows, rooks, woodpeckers will pull those turfs back to go after the leather jackets.

My parents lawn - really chiltern downland had exactly this problem a few years ago.

leather jackeys are long grubs that become crane flys / daddy longlegs.

bfltd0

I'd say badgers but have a look for tracks.

Looks exactly like what had been a beautifully manicured 100m range at Pirbright/Ash when my shooting team turned up to practice the SMG (start at 100m, forward to 75m, 50m, then 25m). Range warden was very unhappy I intended to walk the guys straight down their lanes from firing point to firing point with the weapons made safe - as per the competition rules. He suggested unloading everyone, filing them all off the point, walking down the side then filing back onto the next point etc. Apparently, he expected us to fall over the bumpy bits and spray each other and most of the surrounding countryside with full auto 9mm Parabellum.

I suggested he go and sit in his range hut, drink his coffee and read his Sun/Playboy.

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing