Long range target rifle

angusb1

What would you choose for shooting steel targets out to around a mile with a budget of around £2000, secondhand? Not interested in single shot target rifles, must have a magazine and will be handloading.

Cheers all for your opinions!

angusb1

This is great. What a variety of responses! Researching this lot should keep me out of trouble for the rest of the evening 🤣. I was thinking about a SIG Sauer SSG 3000 with a 29" 6.5x55 barrel and 147gr bullets but that would just be going transonic at a mile.

Keep them coming please

Last edited:

dropmdead

A howa in 300prc with a decent stock should be plenty, along with it not being a "magnum" as a request for the fac
Just to add, I would say second hand action (£250), 1-9 barrel (£750?), MDT oryx (£400?) and a suitable magazine (£100), with change left over for 20 moa rail, scope rings, moderator, ammo or reloading gear,

Muir

This is great. What a variety of responses! Researching this lot should keep me out of trouble for the rest of the evening 🤣. I was thinking about a SIG Sauer SSG 3000 with a 29" 6.5x55 barrel and 147gr bullets but that would just be going transonic at a mile.

Keep them coming please
You've never actually shot at a mile, then?. ~Muir

Edinburgh Rifles

this

Sako 6.5mm Creedmoor S20 Precision

Stover Rover

Have a peek at my ad.
Very cheap and mile capable.
Max load with Re26 57.5gns = 2902 at the muzzle 1261 fps at a mile

Heym SR20

You have two routes. Does the £2,000 include the optics - assume it does.

1) hang around the shooting range. There are plenty of target / long range shooters whose real hobby / interest is getting a new project, working up a load and getting it to shoot. Identify these guys. Once their rifle is shooting well wait about 2 months and you will notice a twitch starting to appear. Through in the idea of say a 6.5 PRC as a new build, and then a month latter offer to take their old rifle onto your FAC so they can have a slot for their new bangstick. Some coin will need change hands, but the amount that does is never ever disclosed amongst gentlemen as it gets embarrassing.

2) Remington 700 SPS heavy barrel, or Howa equivalent. These can be picked for not huge sums. Basic stocks are functional but plastic. But they shoot well out of the box. The Tikka T3x would be included if we had American pricing but we don’t.

And then I would add a Sightron Target scope and spend the rest on ammo. rem and Howas can be fettled / customised as required amd as funds allow.

For 1 mile range, its not so much the rifle, but optics, ammo and in particular bullet choice and the ability to zero in and read the wind that’s critical - or so I have been led to believe.

Muir

No. 600 yards is the farthest I've shot at. I liked it and want to go farther so thought I may as well get a rifle that will go as far as the ranges I could shoot on, then I can see how far I want to go and not be limited by the rifle.
6.5 Creedmoor, or the 6.5x55 even, is not a good rifle for a mile. Unfortunately, the rifle is often the initial limitation for shooting at long range. Then comes the wind, then your own skill. We have a 2200 yard range and I see 338 Lapua struggle when the wind is against it.

I can hit at 600 with almost any rifle and (with some reservation) the same goes out to 1000. Beyond 1000 yards is where the big dogs play. Go prepared. ~Muir

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Find second hand action and have it rebarrelled in suitable calibre

Place in chassis and enjoy playing at distance

I’ve just built a couple of 7mm Saums for exactly that purpose you intend

One on a T3 that I opened the bolt face to accommodate magnum cartridge

The other on a brand new Howa action

Both built within the budget with premium barrels and stocks chosen by the end user

angusb1

Have a peek at my ad.
Very cheap and mile capable.
Max load with Re26 57.5gns = 2902 at the muzzle 1261 fps at a mile
Thanks, that's very interesting.