Newbie looking to learn!

New Avon Arms

cece

Hi, I’m Chris (known as cece), live on the north Norfolk coast but work in the southwest! Got experience with shotguns and air guns but looking to arm myself with the right information and a bit of experience to move up to FAC and become a part of the deer stalking community.
all help and knowledge shared is hugely appreciated!
Many thanks!

cece

Thankyou for the warm welcome guys I look forward to reading more and hopefully sharing some of my own experiences in the future

cece

Thankyou, I’m just trying to work out the best way to go about getting it.. is payed stalking enough reason to apply? Or do I need personal land and reason first? Any advice is hugely appreciated
Welcome from leicestershire/ warks borders , loads of useful advice on here, good luck with FAC

bfltd0

Thankyou, I’m just trying to work out the best way to go about getting it.. is payed stalking enough reason to apply? Or do I need personal land and reason first? Any advice is hugely appreciated
If you want to fork out for a couple of paid stalks, that's one way to test out whether this is something for you and as you haven't got a rifle, the estate can lend you one. You can also speak to the stalker about how they started out/kit they use/fieldcraft required etc. If you decide it is for you, ask around see if there is any other form of permissions going in your area. If there is nothing in terms of deer, then vermin is a good start and would justify a .22, .223 or .243.

On courses, the DSC1 is a good starter for 10 that is often recognised by many important players; namely, landowners, syndicate members and firearms departments. Doesn't necessarily turn you into a world-class stalker overnight but it shows a level of commitment to personal development in the subject matter.

And as you don't have any Section 1 rifles yet, you may want to think about joining a rifle club locally and doubling up on the reason for an FAC.

Fishcake

Going on paid stalking is a great idea as bfltd0 suggests especially to see if its really for you , as applying for FAC then yes the guide you go with would probably be able to give references etc that you’ve been stalking ,and maybe booked more in the future with the premise of using your new rifle , as regards to permission that’s probably down to your local area and if stalking is available. Good luck

cece

Thanks so much for the advice, for some reason a lot of people outside of this group are so reluctant to offer any..
a .243 (correct me if I’m wrong please) is legal for all deer species in the uk but would also be a good choice for foxes? (Depending on bullet weight)
theres a lot of lambing and hatching going on at the moment so could be a good time to ask of any permissions locally.
I’ll update to this post, thankyou
If you want to fork out for a couple of paid stalks, that's one way to test out whether this is something for you and as you haven't got a rifle, the estate can lend you one. You can also speak to the stalker about how they started out/kit they use/fieldcraft required etc. If you decide it is for you, ask around see if there is any other form of permissions going in your area. If there is nothing in terms of deer, then vermin is a good start and would justify a .22, .223 or .243.

On courses, the DSC1 is a good starter for 10 that is often recognised by many important players; namely, landowners, syndicate members and firearms departments. Doesn't necessarily turn you into a world-class stalker overnight but it shows a level of commitment to personal development in the subject matter.

And as you don't have any Section 1 rifles yet, you may want to think about joining a rifle club locally and doubling up on the reason for an FAC.

cece

Thanks for the reply, that sounds like a good idea!
I’ve been chatting with someone local who had offered to take me out and have a look so I’ll speak to him some more! 😁
Going on paid stalking is a great idea as bfltd0 suggests especially to see if its really for you , as applying for FAC then yes the guide you go with would probably be able to give references etc that you’ve been stalking ,and maybe booked more in the future with the premise of using your new rifle , as regards to permission that’s probably down to your local area and if stalking is available. Good luck

bfltd0

Thanks so much for the advice, for some reason a lot of people outside of this group are so reluctant to offer any..
a .243 (correct me if I’m wrong please) is legal for all deer species in the uk but would also be a good choice for foxes? (Depending on bullet weight)
theres a lot of lambing and hatching going on at the moment so could be a good time to ask of any permissions locally.
I’ll update to this post, thankyou
Yes the .243 is versatile and can go from fox to all the deer species in the UK - bullet weights vary according to mission, of course. And there are heaps of platforms available to shoot it through, both new and second-hand. Ammo is also not a problem to source.

Best of luck.

Fishcake

.243 in my basic opinion is ace unless you want to go Scotland way , where more likely to be at least .308 , .243 plenty for foxing ,but in my experience if applying for FAC don’t be pushed to a lower Calibre by your firearms officer 🤔

cece

I think I will try and keep it simple and hope it will aid my chances of acceptance...
a .22 for rabbits and .243 for foxes, and locally I believe it is mostly muntjac and CWD with a few fallow here and there so should be plenty do you think? Thanks again
.243 in my basic opinion is ace unless you want to go Scotland way , where more likely to be at least .308 , .243 plenty for foxing ,but in my experience if applying for FAC don’t be pushed to a lower Calibre by your firearms officer 🤔

Fishcake

You say that you live on Norfolk coast, plenty of folk on here round your way to go out stalking with. My advice is you want a .243 for deer control which would leave you with a .243 to control foxes ! My Firearms officer tried several times with me to make do with a .222 which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard when i wanted a proper calibre for deer! Sure you will get lots of advice from more of the experienced lot on here .

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing